Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:26 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Two very different places, and I like them both. Both have unique neighborhoods that don't really exist anywhere outside of the particular city, in my opinion. That being said, Allston feels a lot like South Brooklyn to me sometimes, at least like Union Square to Packards Corner. South end is kinda Manhattan-lite in some ways. That's about it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 07:53 PM

120 posts, read 235,173 times
I'm from RI but work in Boston and I was just thinking how the Cape and Long Island (e.g. the Hamptons) are similar: its the playground for their respective cities elite in the summer.

Interestingly, lots of Bostonians and New Yorkers/Tri-State area people like to vaca in RI. Providence is somewhat like New Haven (in the shadow of a large city, Ivy League schools)

Old 07-10-2015, 08:04 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
East Boston with its row houses feels the most like Brooklyn to me. Other than that, there isn't really that much comparison.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:42 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I'm from RI but work in Boston and I was just thinking how the Cape and Long Island (e.g. the Hamptons) are similar: its the playground for their respective cities elite in the summer.

Interestingly, lots of Bostonians and New Yorkers/Tri-State area people like to vaca in RI. Providence is somewhat like New Haven (in the shadow of a large city, Ivy League schools)
Cape and eastern Long Island are similar in that respect but one difference comes to mind: the Hamptons are totally dominated by people from NYC. No one else goes there-- for one thing, you have to drive across a bridge or tunnel through one or more of the five boroughs to get there. Cape Cod is a playground for the whole northeast and Midwest. People come from all over. I like your New Haven-Prov comparison. providence seems a nicer place and more important to ppl in Boston than NH is to ppl in New York but then noplace is important to people in NY except itself.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:22 AM

120 posts, read 235,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Cape and eastern Long Island are similar in that respect but one difference comes to mind: the Hamptons are totally dominated by people from NYC. No one else goes there-- for one thing, you have to drive across a bridge or tunnel through one or more of the five boroughs to get there. Cape Cod is a playground for the whole northeast and Midwest. People come from all over. I like your New Haven-Prov comparison. providence seems a nicer place and more important to ppl in Boston than NH is to ppl in New York but then noplace is important to people in NY except itself.
I can see that, it's funny I had a phone interview after college for a job in Stony Brook and it was probably one of the ones I least wanted to get: something about having to take a ferry to visit home annoyed me. I'm not too familiar with the south shore but I guess you can make the argument that Western/Central LI are similar to it-lots of commuters into the city, by the coast

Old 07-11-2015, 09:23 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
A simple flight into JFK and a 2 hour drive gets you to the Hamptons- no bridge or tunnel necessary. There is also LIRR service.

That said, you are correct that the Hamptons is mainly a destination for the ultra rich of NYC but I imagine they do get some tourism from other places.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:57 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
back bay ~ manhattan
chinatown ~ chinatown
north end ~ little italy
boston common ~ central park

Old 07-11-2015, 02:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I can see that, it's funny I had a phone interview after college for a job in Stony Brook and it was probably one of the ones I least wanted to get: something about having to take a ferry to visit home annoyed me. I'm not too familiar with the south shore but I guess you can make the argument that Western/Central LI are similar to it-lots of commuters into the city, by the coast
lol, makes sense as far as Western/Central LI and the south shore goes. Actually I live in the south shore now and am in the process of moving to Western LI

Old 07-11-2015, 03:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
No part of Boston reminded me of NYC. I have heard people say on this forum before Roxbury is a bit like Harlem both are centers of the AA community in their city. Central Park is a little like Boston Common although Central Park IMO is way bigger and much nicer for tourists. I do like Boston Common. Thats about it for the comparisons.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:18 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
A simple flight into JFK and a 2 hour drive gets you to the Hamptons- no bridge or tunnel necessary. There is also LIRR service.

That said, you are correct that the Hamptons is mainly a destination for the ultra rich of NYC but I imagine they do get some tourism from other places.
The rich New Yorkers are taking over the islands. Nantucket is almost completely unaffordable due to the (I haven't produced a damn thing of value yet I'm stinking rich) investment banker set from NYC buying up everything in sight.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 07-13-2015 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston