Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 PM

32 posts, read 37,430 times

Advertisements

I assume that it is impossible to see apartments to rent in Cambridge without a broker, and that the renter always pays the fee? Is it every possible to negotiate this with the landlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 PM

75 posts, read 82,464 times
Not every broker charges a fee, trick is to look for those. When I was looking I hunted Craigslist, hotpads etc to find no fee listings.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,528 times
There are many listings by landlord only, no broker involved. It is possible. Or fee is split between landlord and tenant. Or landlord lists with broker, but does "by owner" listing as well. Check for both.

Sometimes it pays to pay fee, but it depends on how urgent is your search, are you potentially difficult/out of ordinary tenant with e.g big dog, or some other special type of accommodation needed.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:32 AM

32 posts, read 37,430 times
One more question: is it best to use a real estate broker to find a rental in Cambridge? There is some urgency as I need an apartment for September. Or would you just start calling up individual agents who have apartments you are interested in? I won't be signing an exclusive to work with one agent for a rental, correct? I ask because all the agents seem to be out of town this coming weekend, and I would really like to start looking now.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavengal View Post
I won't be signing an exclusive to work with one agent for a rental, correct?
If an agent shows a unit to you, you're linked to them for that unit. You can't, for example, contact the landlord/owner afterward to sign a lease and bypass any commission fee. But you are not locked to one agent for your entire apartment hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston