Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:10 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Seattle, I always loved going to Pike Place Market for locally sourced produce, meat, seafood and other artisan vendors. As a native New Englander I had always wished Boston had something similar when I was living around there. Yes, Haymarket was always there, but it just didn't quite cut the mustard for me. Well I'm not there anymore, but you all get to enjoy the new Boston Public Market now. I intend to stop by next week while I'm in town visiting. It's focus is locally sourced food and fresh produce from New England, with 93% of its vendors from Massachusetts. It's located in a former Big Dig building on the Greenway, just a block away from Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. Has anyone been yet? What do you think of it?

Years In The Making, Boston Public Market Opens | WBUR

https://bostonpublicmarket.org/

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-31-2015 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
I went yesterday after work, thoroughly impressed! The place was packed because it was opening day, nice mix of locals and tourists checking out the market. Great mix of prepared foods, home cooking ingredients and farm stands.

I picked up some vegetables to cook for the evening, along with some smoked bluefish Pate, honey, cheese, Bacon and Charcuterie. The quality in all the items was just exceptional, I have no idea how I am going to pull myself away from this place and blowing my entire paycheque.

The cool thing to think about is what this district will become in the near future. We have this new Public Market with a focus on local vendors, the Haymarket pushcart vendors who sell produce from the Chelsea food market and give you the closest feeling of an experience you find in a 3rd world market (in a good way). Then you have the project slated for Parcel 9 which is an International Market topped with a hotel and finally the renovation of Quincy market to make it more palatable to locals vs tourists. We have the the makings of one of the countries best market districts and this Public Market is only the first domino to fall.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:21 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The cool thing to think about is what this district will become in the near future. We have this new Public Market with a focus on local vendors, the Haymarket pushcart vendors who sell produce from the Chelsea food market and give you the closest feeling of an experience you find in a 3rd world market (in a good way). Then you have the project slated for Parcel 9 which is an International Market topped with a hotel and finally the renovation of Quincy market to make it more palatable to locals vs tourists. We have the the makings of one of the countries best market districts and this Public Market is only the first domino to fall.
I haven't been yet, but I wanted to chime in to second this. I'm hoping the new Public Market, Haymarket and Quincy Market can coexist successfully; that there will be enough business to keep everyone happy. But this is very encouraging.

You've got some excellent self-catering options, and destinations such as the big dig greenway, the waterfront park, and, most significantly, the massive brick square that is town hall. It's one of the only true squares in this whole city of "squares" and it is horribly underutilized. The new tables and chairs are a step in the right direction, but the addition of this food market means it'll hopefully be used for something a bit more cultured than scarfing down a subway sandwich over a quick lunch break. It could end up being a massive injection of culture in what is otherwise a rather cold and underutilized space (being in the shadow of an above-ground cold war bunker doesn't help, but still, we can hope).

I used to live in Seattle, and the value of the market cannot be overstated. This won't have views of the Olympics and Sound, or the historic connection to the city and its citizens, but it's a nice addition and I hope it flourishes.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I haven't been yet, but I wanted to chime in to second this. I'm hoping the new Public Market, Haymarket and Quincy Market can coexist successfully; that there will be enough business to keep everyone happy. But this is very encouraging.

You've got some excellent self-catering options, and destinations such as the big dig greenway, the waterfront park, and, most significantly, the massive brick square that is town hall. It's one of the only true squares in this whole city of "squares" and it is horribly underutilized. The new tables and chairs are a step in the right direction, but the addition of this food market means it'll hopefully be used for something a bit more cultured than scarfing down a subway sandwich over a quick lunch break. It could end up being a massive injection of culture in what is otherwise a rather cold and underutilized space (being in the shadow of an above-ground cold war bunker doesn't help, but still, we can hope).

I used to live in Seattle, and the value of the market cannot be overstated. This won't have views of the Olympics and Sound, or the historic connection to the city and its citizens, but it's a nice addition and I hope it flourishes.
You make some great points about how this contributes from an urban design perspective as well. With the Government center garage monstrosity setting itself up as a wall, there is not good reason for foot traffic to be organically pulled towards that part of town. The market gives them a reason to be down there and it should inject some much needed energy into the area.

Of course once the Govt Center Garage is redeveloped we will have another reason, but by then the entire market district will be in full swing and will further add to the cohesiveness of the area.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:47 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
I'd assumed "Boston Public Market" was just another way of saying "Haymarket." Turns out it's "Portlandia" on the East Coast, in a nearby building. "Locally sourced charcuterie," JUST what we needed - about as much as the Olympics.

Last year I had high hopes (fresh, relatively locally-grown, fruits and veggies for sale) when a "Winter Farmers Market" opened in Cambridge. Once I'd been it was "one and done." I lost count of the "cruelty-free candle," "artisanal honey," and other such vendors who filled the venue in the absence of actual farmers selling actual useful food. No wonder there wasn't a single soul in there taking advantage of the 2-for-1 offer (buy $2 worth of products, spend only $1 on your EBT card.) In the entire space there was NOT ONE nutritious everyday food available. The entire thing was frivolous hipster crap.

Pike Place Market would be one-of-a-kind even if it weren't in such a visually stunning location, on several levels seemingly right above Puget Sound. Here? I "self-cater" from Market Basket and could not care less about the provenance of my brie. (Never mind that such a wheel has never crossed my threshold. LOL) Wine from a jug suits me just fine. But I guess I ought to be happy for the Whole Foods yuppies and bike-lane-clogging hipsters who feel like they've died and gone to the great organic farm in the sky now that we have our own "public market." A toast from me to them, raising an Izzi soda bottle. [Once more I find that this site really REALLY needs a barfing smiley face. hahaha]

(Smoked bluefish pa-TAY, are you effing serious??? "barfing smiley face")

Old 07-31-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I'd assumed "Boston Public Market" was just another way of saying "Haymarket." Turns out it's "Portlandia" on the East Coast, in a nearby building. "Locally sourced charcuterie," JUST what we needed - about as much as the Olympics.

Last year I had high hopes (fresh, relatively locally-grown, fruits and veggies for sale) when a "Winter Farmers Market" opened in Cambridge. Once I'd been it was "one and done." I lost count of the "cruelty-free candle," "artisanal honey," and other such vendors who filled the venue in the absence of actual farmers selling actual useful food. No wonder there wasn't a single soul in there taking advantage of the 2-for-1 offer (buy $2 worth of products, spend only $1 on your EBT card.) In the entire space there was NOT ONE nutritious everyday food available. The entire thing was frivolous hipster crap.

Pike Place Market would be one-of-a-kind even if it weren't in such a visually stunning location, on several levels seemingly right above Puget Sound. Here? I "self-cater" from Market Basket and could not care less about the provenance of my brie. (Never mind that such a wheel has never crossed my threshold. LOL) Wine from a jug suits me just fine. But I guess I ought to be happy for the Whole Foods yuppies and bike-lane-clogging hipsters who feel like they've died and gone to the great organic farm in the sky now that we have our own "public market." A toast from me to them, raising an Izzi soda bottle. [Once more I find that this site really REALLY needs a barfing smiley face. hahaha]
So I'll see you there on Saturday then? Make sure to wave hi.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:53 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

(Smoked bluefish pa-TAY, are you effing serious??? "barfing smiley face")
Party of one? You may be seated in the dark corner over there. May I bring you some lemons? They are fresh, though I'm afraid they are not local. Feel free to bite into one though.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:49 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
I hope there's food for the average Joe who isn't seeking some fancy fair trade/organic/gluten free/non-GMO/vegan/etc... But just fresh ingredients at reasonable prices to make an everyday meal. I may buy some exotic honey once in a blue moon but 'normal' food at normal prices will draw me back as a customer, not just a spectator.

Last edited by mmyk72; 08-01-2015 at 12:03 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 03:58 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I hope there's food for the average Joe who isn't seeking some fancy fair trade/organic/gluten free/non-GMO/vegan/etc... But just fresh ingredients at reasonable prices to make an everyday meal. I may buy some exotic honey once in a blue moon but 'normal' food at normal prices will draw me back as a customer, not just a spectator.
So did you get some artisanal honey last night? It was a blue moon and it won't be back for another three years I think.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
This market is NOT seven days! It's 8 am to 8 pm, Wednesday to Sunday, I think. Double check. There will be many disappointed people trying to visit on those two closed days.

Isn't Pike Place Market open seven days? (not sure). I had read last year that this market aims to be like Pike Place.

I read they even have ice cream..yum!...I wonder from where (who cares, as goyguy may say). They'll even have cooking demonstrations, like how to cook good food on a budget. I think "America's Test Kitchen" will have some kind of presence there.

Can't wait to check it out, as I've been waiting since two years ago when I first heard about it.

For TD Garden events, it will be nice to also go to the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston