Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 AM

47 posts, read 220,930 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Boston from the San Francisco area and I am really concerned that I will freeze to death, as I am not used to snowy climates, and don't currently own any real winter gear.

I'm looking at buying a down jacket from North Face or Mountain Hardware - any suggestions??

I'm also wondering how practical a wool peacoat is while it's snowing - I love my peacoat but it's pretty thin, so I need to buy a new one. I really want a peacoat because I think it looks more professional then a poofy down jacket.
Question 1: What do most business persons wear during the winter?
Question 2: What brand of peacoat do you recommend? Any other must haves for a peacoat??

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,802 times
Default Try Khols

Khols usually has some nice clothes and jackets check them out.

-jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 PM

Cool LL Bean/Outdoor store

LL bean or Eastern Mountain sports usually has some good ones , Sports Authority or one of the Outdoor type stores in the area.

-Jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 01-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Default REi

I forgot, REI as well

-jeff

Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Cool Go with North Face

I see lots of North Face jackets around here
Go with them

-jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 01-25-2008, 01:07 PM

23 posts, read 166,150 times
North Face are good jackets. Don't know the other brand you mentioned. Wool pea coats are fine in the winter. If you can find the lined versions, they are a little warmer. I wear mine most of the time during the winter.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl1082 View Post
I'll be moving to Boston from the San Francisco area and I am really concerned that I will freeze to death, as I am not used to snowy climates, and don't currently own any real winter gear.

I'm looking at buying a down jacket from North Face or Mountain Hardware - any suggestions??

I'm also wondering how practical a wool peacoat is while it's snowing - I love my peacoat but it's pretty thin, so I need to buy a new one. I really want a peacoat because I think it looks more professional then a poofy down jacket.
Question 1: What do most business persons wear during the winter?
Question 2: What brand of peacoat do you recommend? Any other must haves for a peacoat??

check them out on the web. the boston globe is a major boston paper.
Thanks!!!
talbots has a great winter sale on now-talbots.com
orvis also has the type of coat you are looking for as does ll Bean they all have web sites.
you are right down is poofy but warm. all these stores have real quality.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
caligirl1082,

Either North Face or Mountain Hardware is fine. However, if you do not care about the brand or the need to have many pockets for expedition, I suggest LL Bean, Eastern Mountain sports or REI for your money. Just check their website.

I have not worn a down jacket in years since I live in the suburb. I run to the car, drive to destination and run to the destination... never really outside for over 5 minutes. This would be different if you need to stand 15 minutes outside waiting for the bus.

As to pea coat, I suggest you come to MA and see what styles people are wearing. I'm sure there will be really good deals at Macys by the end of Feb. when you arrive. MA has no sales tax on clothings.

Again, what you wear depends on how long you need to travel outside during your commute...

Old 01-25-2008, 04:07 PM

967 posts, read 4,785,828 times
I agree with Smarty that in the burbs you might not feel the need for more than a warm pea coat (and on a day like today, a warm hat, scarf & good gloves.) When I worked in Boston I forgot all regard for style and opted for the warmest garments I could find. Walking just a few blocks from the train....brrr...

Another thought: Pick up a pair of long underwear - it helps to wear under your clothes on the super chilly days, esp for someone moving from warmer climates. My dad still jokes that my 3-yr stint in California made me a wimp in the cold, and it's totally true! The good news is, we have amazing autumns! :-)

Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
...I suggest you come to MA and see what styles people are wearing. I'm sure there will be really good deals at Macys by the end of Feb. when you arrive. MA has no sales tax on clothings.

Again, what you wear depends on how long you need to travel outside during your commute...
Hi Cali -

I agree, it's smartest to wait until you arrive. So much depends on your workplace environment & how you'll commute. Waiting for trains/busses & the length of my walk to work made a huge difference in what I've worn compared to jobs where I've driven. Also, I've worked in varying industries over the years - very conservative, upscale, formal offices like law firms where a nicely tailored suit, heels & overcoat were the daily norm; IT where clothing was unbelievably casual & everyone was more interested in warmth & comfort (sweatshirts, jeans, sneakers, cut-offs/tees during summer), rather than style; creative jobs where the latest style was of the utmost import. Age range can play a part, as well.

Workplace & commute will affect the color choice, as well. Don't want to be in a lovely winter-white wool coat, camel wool trousers & light-colored boots if you're regularly running across muddy streets & jumping over puddles on your 20-min walk for the bus. Consequently, most of us have darker winter overcoats - black, navy, chocolate brown, even maroon/dark green. Lighter colors/pastels/fabrics come out after the Easter season... if the snow has melted & temps have risen. We've had Easter snow, infrequently, but it can still be quite cold in the mornings... you can probably leave your jacket in the office to venture outside for lunch... but will be grateful you have it & your gloves on your commute home.

You will be cold, but you'll adjust. I've moved from Boston to Atlanta & it took awhile before I could make a complete wardrobe shift - getting rid of long sleeves/long pants/woolens/20-pr of black boots/shoes & purchasing lighter colors/fabrics in shorter lengths. Interestingly, a big no-no in conservative Boston offices was women wearing no sleeved dresses/tops (too sundressy/beachy looking, deemed unprofessional) but in Atlanta, I purchased "suit like" 2-pc garments that looked like a skort w/double breasted suit jacket with no sleeves. In the offices I worked in, women also wore no nylons in Atlanta (another no-no in Boston) & dressy sandals. Looking back on it, I looked like a vampire & felt like I was going to burst into flames for the 1st few months with all the black lycra/wool, long sleeves/skirts, black nylons/shoes I'd worn & looked quite stylish in, in Boston.

When I moved from Atlanta to Seattle during the grunge years, I thought I'd freeze to death, even though you don't find quite the frigid northeastern temps. I'd gotten used to hot, humid weather & only owned suits/dresses in silk/satin/linen in white/pastels & looked like a walking Barbi doll compared to the very casually dressed locals in Doc Martens & holey jeans. Before you wait to change over your whole wardrobe, I'd advise that you wait to see what's normal in your workplace. As Smarty said, we have no taxes on clothing in MA. When you arrive & buy 1 smart work outfit, warm boots/coat/gloves to get you started, women at work will be more than happy to advise you on where to go shopping. See what the styles are then, too. You don't want to end up with something that's out of place & expensive in the effort of pre-preparation, that you feel uncomfortable wearing once here. We're all bargain hunters here too, so I'm sure they'll tell you about all the local discount stores. Don't worry, you'll do fine & will know just what to purchase when you arrive, see your co-workers & check out store displays.

If on your first day here you run frozen & shrieking to the subway station, you'll know to leave the sandals at home, put on a hat & buy a scarf at lunch the next day.

Welcome to Boston. I hope your move goes easily & you adjust very quickly... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston