Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,736 times

Advertisements

I would highly recommend the Boston area. The job market is light years ahead of San Diego in every single industry unless you are in the military.

There is also much more culture in every way: museums, restaurants, performing arts, there is just no comparison. You are also very close to New York and Montreal. Logan Airport
has multiple flights to many European capitals and non stops to Bejiing, Istanbul, Dubai, Tel Aviv and many other cities.

The weather is actually not that bad, the winters are actually much sunnier than DC or other points further south and the summers are fantastic. Falls are perfect and Spring is wet and damp. But it's not San Diego and if you go into Boston expecting the same cost of living as San Diego, you will be pleased. If you expect it to be much cheaper, you will be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:06 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
The weather is actually not that bad, the winters are actually much sunnier than DC or other points further south and the summers are fantastic. Falls are perfect and Spring is wet and damp. But it's not San Diego and if you go into Boston expecting the same cost of living as San Diego, you will be pleased. If you expect it to be much cheaper, you will be disappointed.
Umm the sun is gone at 4:15 in the winter. Go to work in the dark, come home in the dark.

Fall is awesome though, it's just very fleeting.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Umm the sun is gone at 4:15 in the winter. Go to work in the dark, come home in the dark.

Fall is awesome though, it's just very fleeting.
The early sunsets aren't really unique to Boston. In most areas sunset in December is by 5 pm at the latest unless you're near the equator.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The early sunsets aren't really unique to Boston. In most areas sunset in December is by 5 pm at the latest unless you're near the equator.
Boston does routinely have sunsets an entire hour earlier than other eastern standard time cities.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:13 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Boston does routinely have sunsets an entire hour earlier than other eastern standard time cities.
Again this varies by city. Sunset in Boston is only a few minutes earlier than NYC, Philadelphia, DC etc.

I don't think it's such a big deal.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Again this varies by city. Sunset in Boston is only a few minutes earlier than NYC, Philadelphia, DC etc.

I don't think it's such a big deal.
Well I came here from Cleveland, where the sun is out an hour longer. I noticed the difference immediately and was somewhat depressing (and that's just Cleveland- not exactly known for sunny days). The difference between here and San Diego would be much more dramatic in my opinion.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
Quote:
Well I came here from Cleveland, where the sun is out an hour longer. I noticed the difference immediately and was somewhat depressing (and that's just Cleveland- not exactly known for sunny days). The difference between here and San Diego would be much more dramatic in my opinion.
It's based on latitude, of course. And it all pretty much evens out in the wash depending on the time of year. Up north here we have shorter winter days and longer summer days, while San Diego has shorter summer days and longer winter days. We'll get an hour more sun on the "longest day" of the year than they will, while they'll get an hour more sun on the "shortest day" of the year than we will.

It's true that the sun sets here earlier than it does in Cleveland in the winter, but it also comes up earlier. The total amount of time the sun is out is actually only a difference of single-digit minutes.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
It's based on latitude, of course. And it all pretty much evens out in the wash depending on the time of year. Up north here we have shorter winter days and longer summer days, while San Diego has shorter summer days and longer winter days. We'll get an hour more sun on the "longest day" of the year than they will, while they'll get an hour more sun on the "shortest day" of the year than we will.

It's true that the sun sets here earlier than it does in Cleveland in the winter, but it also comes up earlier. The total amount of time the sun is out is actually only a difference of single-digit minutes.
Yeah but for me there is something to be said for comin home from work with sun, whereas here it seriously is dark during both commutes. I get used to it, but I just don't think we can tell someone from California that the lack of sun isn't a big deal, because even other people from the north notice the difference.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:51 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkrantz View Post
Why would we need "new cars for the winter"?
You don't necessarily need new cars, but cars that are winter capable.

I regular travel to SD for business and notice that a lot of the cars there would be difficult to drive here in the northeast. Models of BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes, etc that are offered in AWD here, are mostly RWD down there, where the extra traction is not needed.

Snow tires can make life more bearable, but if you are bringing two RWD vehicles here on summer sport tires with no snow driving experience....it will be an eye opener for sure.

boston does a good job at storm cleanup, but there will be time you are out driving around and a quick 3-4 inches of snow falls and the sliding around commences.

Oh and my comparison with SD and Boston? More European-based here in the northeast (due to proximity) while SD is more Hispanic and Asian based. Weather in SD can be arid and humid, but the temp swings aren't anything like Boston where it can go from 0 degrees and dry to 100 degrees and humid between seasons. Our summer lasts 3 months in which it can get VERY humid, spring and fall are pleasant and fun, and winter just blows and can be depressing. Culturewise, boston is just better. More history, more art, more things to see and do.

COL wise, unsure what part of SD you are from but i'd imagine if you can survive there, you can live in boston if you get a comparible job. SD is pretty expensive, but so is Boston.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Looking at October 30, 2014:

Boston - sunrise at 7:15 am, sunset at 5:40 pm
New York - sunrise at 7:24 am, sunset at 5:50 pm

November 25, 2014

Boston - sunrise at 6:47 am, sunset at 4:15 pm
New York - sunrise at 6:54 am, sunset at 4:32 pm

Not much of a difference in terms of total daylight between Boston and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston