Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:41 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, it isn't. Minneapolis has a B10 university, but it is not a B10 town. It is a large city. Madison, Columbus, Iowa City, etc are college towns. It doesn't help that the goophers stink.
Columbus is a metropolitan area of 2 million people.... "College town?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
There's a hockey clique that cares for amass Lowell and BC. Then there's . Smaller basketblall clique for uconn providence and harvard

Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Third, if you live in a true college town of one of these schools, it just gets under your blood. I moved to Madison for a job, not school, and within a couple of years I found myself following the team. It's just infectious.
+1
I grew up in Ann Arbor. My grandparents worked at UofM and were fans. My dad worked at UofM and was a fan. My mom and I are alumni. I can't get away from it lol

Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
OK, I understand Boston isn't the most college sports-mad city, but which college teams would be more prominent? In which sports are these schools more popular? I can't imagine Bostonians getting too mad about UMass Amherst...

I would imagine Harvard being more popular than the other college teams in this city; after all, Harvard does have some success in football and basketball, despite playing in a lower division than Boston College.
harvard and b.c. are both d-1 basketball and fcs-1 football (or whatever the ncaa is calling it these days).

doesnt help that b.u. and northeastern abandoned their football teams some time ago.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:56 PM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
harvard and b.c. are both d-1 basketball and fcs-1 football (or whatever the ncaa is calling it these days).

doesnt help that b.u. and northeastern abandoned their football teams some time ago.
Boston College is an ACC conference member and hence the only college in New England that is part of a Power-5 conference. However, it is true that Harvard is a FCS football school, as with other Ivies.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:32 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Boston College is an ACC conference member and hence the only college in New England that is part of a Power-5 conference. However, it is true that Harvard is a FCS football school, as with other Ivies.
But the Ivies have agreed not to part update in any playoffs that interfere with the reading periods and final exams and will not partake in the FCS.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:55 PM

135 posts, read 175,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
I don't know how anyone could root for a school they didn't go to.

It seems many from this area agree with me.

College hockey seems the most popular because the teams are at the top of NCAA and there are a lot of local alumni.

I do enjoy watching some NESCAC football though.

Agree 110% and something I often find myself wondering when encountered with college sports fans.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:10 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
Agree 110% and something I often find myself wondering when encountered with college sports fans.
Yet you understand why people root for professional teams? It's the same deal. The teams represent where you're from and, once you become a fan you tend to stay a fan. College teams have the added advantage that they won't ever move if they can't extort enough money from the government. If you think about being a fan too hard you'll realize that it's all really silly, college or professional.

I grew up in Baton Rouge and the biggest sports teams there--by far--were from LSU. I was a fan. When it come time to go to college, I got in to a smaller much more academically prestigious school that did not even have football. The baseball team was good enough that I could play for it. I didn't see a conflict in rooting for LSU any more than someone who plays on a work softball team would see in rooting for the Red Sox.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
I think there are so many Colleges, UML, MIT, Harvard, BC, BU, Suffolk, Tufts, etc. that there is no college cohesive culture, that and in the Northeast the flagship state college is in the country, as opposed to the state capital/large city like in Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc. so people from Boston are not going to haul out to Amherst for game day.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:04 PM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think there are so many Colleges, UML, MIT, Harvard, BC, BU, Suffolk, Tufts, etc. that there is no college cohesive culture, that and in the Northeast the flagship state college is in the country, as opposed to the state capital/large city like in Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc. so people from Boston are not going to haul out to Amherst for game day.
Don't you mean UMass Boston rather than Lowell?

I understand UMass Lowell is an athletic non-factor (for sports other than hockey) compared to Harvard or Boston College, but UMass Boston is also an athletic non-factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston