Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 05:41 AM

11 posts, read 81,264 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking these boards, and decided to join.

Me and my partner are both in our mid-20's, both of us are mixed (black and puerto rican), and as already stated, we are lesbians. We are trying to find our place in the world, and would enjoy a city atmosphere (where places stay open past 2AM!!) mixed with a bit of suburbia (where we can enjoy the quiet times). And most important - a place where our racial/ethnic background doesn't cause stares and constant questions (what are you mixed with?). Additionally, we want to be able to walk down the street as a couple, and not as 'friends' - because we are engaged and preparing for marriage.

Here's the situation as of now: I'm a Queens native. I miss it so much, but the $$$ needed just to keep a residence is not worth it. My family is all over NYC, so we would like to stay on the east coast. My partner is from New Jersey, but also has family in Killadelphia (Philly), and we currently live near there. WE HATE IT HERE. Never have I been more aware of my race than in Pennsylvania. Anyway... we want to get married, live a normal life (not boring, but normal if that makes any sense), not have ignorant people stare, etc.

What areas are decent, with less crime than Killadelphia, diverse enough where we are not questioned about our backgrounds, and OK with lesbian couples?? Oh - and affordable but not ghetto (under $1000 per month for rent). If we like the area, we would consider buying a home. Renting first however...

Thank you

ETA: forgot to mention that we will be looking to move in 2009 (just renewed our current lease to save up - rent is cheap.), and we should have a car by then. Currently using SEPTA (HORRIBLE in every sense of the word - don't get me started), and would like the option of using public transportation in combination with a car. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:33 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
the first place that popped out in my mind was Jamaica Plain (JP). it's pretty diverse (mostly a Hispanic neighborhood but lots of blacks and whites live there as well) and accepting of gays. however, parts of JP are sketchy (mostly the areas near the Forest Hills and Jackson Sq. T stops), I can't recall any places that will be opened past 2am (in JP or in Boston in general- Boston bars and clubs tend to close early and public transportation ends by 1am), it isn't really surburban, and finding anything larger than a 1bed or renovated studio for under $1000 will be difficult. nevertheless, I'd still recommend JP. check out the areas near Centre St. right in the heart of JP, which will be fairly vibrant w/ good public trans options (walking distance to the orange line or take the #39). it will also be easier to find parking in JP if you decide to keep the car

also check out Cambridge. Central, Davis, Porter, Inman, and Union Sqs are all good choices, though apartment prices will vary and parking may be harder to find

Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
By law bars, etc. are closed at 2 AM if not at 1. It was last call at midnight until about 1994. The Boston area in general closes down early, but as you move outside of the immediate area (i.e. Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, Somerville, etc.) it gets very sleepy very fast. 95% of places in Newton Center are closed by 9 or 10. If you're used to NY hours, it's not here.

JP seems like a good place to start, as are the other places eevee listed. JP is not totally suburban but it's not urban like other, more central parts of Boston. It is not that different from many parts of Queens. As eevee says, parts of JP are less safe, and those tend to be the parts where you'll find something under $1000. In the parts of Cambridge and Somerville cited it will be tough to find anything nice under $1000. The whole Boston area is more expensive than Philly, no question.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:01 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,159 times
JP is totally the place for you, you will feel very welcomed there. I used to live a block "up" from the Forest hills T stop, and never felt terribly unsafe as a young single woman, even getting back from the very last train of the evening. Sure, you have to keep your wits about you, but don't you anywhere?

Jackson Square area at night I can't vouch for.

You will likely have trouble finding anywhere in the Boston area for less than $1000/month. I paid almost that to share with 2 other roommates.

Good luck, I think you will be very happy in Boston.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
I hope you can come to Massachusetts. The more, the merrier, and you can get legally married here. I would suggest Central Square, Cambridge because my spouse and I met and married there and we're an uncommon configuration.

Also, Northampton. You would get more house for your $1,000 in Noho, be about half way in between Boston and New York, and closer to Philly.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Thank you for the responses! And sorry for replying super late!!

We are currently considering NJ first, since it would be between both of our families (Queens, and Philly). BUT - we are certainly considering Boston, or Mass in general, as an option for marriage and a home purchase once we are financially prepared. :-)

You are all great - and thanks again. :-)

D

Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Jp is the Lesbian center of Boston, but the South End is the largest Gay Population. You'd be comfortable in either, though JP is more suburbanish than the South End.

Pride Festival here is a blast. You all don't happen to ride motorcycles, do you?

Boston Pride : Home

Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Great pics!!! Reminds us of NYC Pride!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 13,714 times
Default Where to move?

You might want to give Vancouver a try - decent climate, both in terms of weather and ...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston