Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Ayb Ayb started this thread

2 posts, read 4,412 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am relocating to the Boston area in the next few weeks.
Here is a little about me:
I am a 29 year old woman. I have spent the last two years living in New Orleans and am an Idaho native. I will be working at a firm in the Financial District, and will be making around $70,000 per year. My boyfriend lives in Portsmouth, NH; we aren't planning on seeing each other more than a couple of times a month to focus on our careers.
I think I would like to live out of the city so that I can get some of the New England smaller city/town feel. I have been looking at Newburyport and Haverhill, but am open to other areas as well.
I would like to live somewhere with a pretty good social (bar, I suppose) scene, tons of aesthetic appeal (the city, not necessarily the apartment/house), and all of the basic amenities.
I would also like to be able to take the train to work. I don't necessarily want to live in a place where all of the residents are focused on family (mom, dad two kids and a dog). Single professionals are what I am looking for.
Anyway, I would love any information anyone in the area can give me! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 24,822 times
I strongly suggest Newburyport over Haverhill. Haverhill can be a bit rough. If you look at any of the coastal towns North of Boston you will find beautiful communities with very nice bar scenes and all on the commuter rail to Boston. Manchester by the Sea, Marblehead, Beverly all are beautiful but very pricey. I haven't been to Swampscott in a while but I have heard that they have great condos and lots of new restaurants. You might also consider going inland a bit and think about Andover, Reading, Burlington. Not as scenic mind you but the commute North and South is easy and they are busy communities with a lot of amenities. The towns on the water are really off the beaten path to access other areas other than going North and South but in all honesty........they are so beautiful it is worth it. If you ever change your mind and decide to live in the city. My #1 pick would be South Boston. Great place to live!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Ayb Ayb started this thread

2 posts, read 4,412 times
Thanks for the information pattibrennan! Very helpful! As far as you know, will I be able to afford something in Newburyport? I am hoping to spend no more than $1200 per month (I would like that to include utilities, but we'll see). Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:47 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Just to give you some per monthly utilities numbers...

phone+cable+internet =$100
Water/sewer - $50
Electricity - $50-100
heating - $100-250 depending on size/temp setting/insulation/....

Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 AM

7 posts, read 24,822 times
I don't really know but at that price I am sure you can find a one bedroom or something. Ideally it would be great to find one with utilities included. But $1200 is a great start ...so I wouldn't worry at all. Now the closer to Boston you go......the higher the rents. I suggest finding a local paper for that area and going to the classifieds. There are very large beautiful historical homes in those towns. I bet people have guest houses or floors of homes they rent out. All private mind you but I am sure you will find something. If you are looking for the more modern style I really don't know what they have in that area in that range. Downtown Newburyport is just so great w/ tons of shops, coffee shops, restaurants and bars. It is right on the water. So safe. A huge walking town. I imagine a lot of the buildings there old and new have apartments above all of the shops. Many people will run an add locally in a small paper to save money and feel comfortable with who they are renting to. In addition...you should just come in to town for a few days and go to a realty office. Call ahead to make an appt. so they konw what you are looking for. I imagine they can line you up w/ tons to look at and you can have someone else do all your leg work. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston