Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 8,091 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide if I should even consider a new position in Boston. I currently live in Orange County have a job that I like ok, but it is not a long term play. I see more longevity in the position in Boston, but it would be a huge change and a lateral move. My boyfriend works in the surf industry and is not at all excited to move to East Coast with the congestion and the weather. They have asked me to come out to interview, but I don't even know if I want to entertain the idea. Any advise would be great. I imagine that the cost of living would be comparable, but the lifestyle change would be huge.

My boyfriend would have to quit his job for the short term and try to find something in Boston. Do you think its unreasonable to live off one income? How much of an income increase should I expect?

The company just moved to downtown and it seems like a great company, but is that worth the other risks?

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-29-2015 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: request of OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:36 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
I would imagine that the cost of living in Boston will be higher than OC, and, yes, the lifestyle change will be huge. I would recommend coming out for the interview and staying a day or two extra, if you can swing it, to get a feel for the area. Not much of a surf industry in Boston but they do do some surfing in southern Rhode Island and New Hampshire.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 PM

596 posts, read 818,446 times
If they are going to fly you out here I say why not give it a try and come for the interview.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:57 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I would imagine that the cost of living in Boston will be higher than OC, and, yes, the lifestyle change will be huge. I would recommend coming out for the interview and staying a day or two extra, if you can swing it, to get a feel for the area. Not much of a surf industry in Boston but they do do some surfing in southern Rhode Island and New Hampshire.
I think I've heard they surf in Hull, too.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:19 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I would imagine that the cost of living in Boston will be higher than OC,
I doubt that.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:27 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Looks like it's close to a wash, according to this website:

PayScale - Cost of Living Cities - Orange County California and Boston Massachusetts

Old 09-24-2015, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
If they are going to fly you out here I say why not give it a try and come for the interview.
Yea, that is what I was thinking, thanks! I just wanted to be sensitive to everyone's time and if I'm not prepared to move than maybe not even come out. My brother lives in Newton so I am familiar with the area a bit, but visiting and living and different.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,076 times
If you're not excited about it now, you probably never will be. Life in the northeast is not easy due to the congestion, weather, and COL. If you aren't over the moon about coming here in the first place, I can't see how you could possibly be happy here in the long run. Definitely visit if you can, but you'd probably do yourself and your relationship a favor by passing.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:55 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
It could be a great job to put on your resume. Plus, all future connections you can get out of this. Unless you are very serious with this boyfriend and babies and marriage are on the horizon...grab all you can get now.

Great job opportunities do not fall in your lap every day. I would not let this opportunity just pass me by. You might kick yourself later. Yes, there are always some cons to moving but trying it for a year or two while still young and mobile would not hurt you long term. You can always go back. Just make sure you are paid adequately for COL around here.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:28 AM

4 posts, read 3,501 times
Where in OC do you live?

My husband and I used to live in south OC and moved to Boston in May 2015. We love it here!

I would say that from a cost perspective it is a wash. We are offsetting the higher cost of housing (we made a conscious decision to get a place that is big for Boston standard but comparable to SoCal) by non longer having to drive to work and only maintaining one car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston