Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,759,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I don't know, I don't see it as that bad. Living near North Station gives you a nice location in the city, an easy commute for your wife, and I don't see driving or training to Newton as that big a deal. Perhaps there are other lots by Woodland in which you could rent an overnight spot.
North Station is easy to jump on the pike and get off at Newton. I wouldn't want to have to take the T to it though. Two cars would solve the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:59 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,671,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
North Station is easy to jump on the pike and get off at Newton. I wouldn't want to have to take the T to it though. Two cars would solve the problem.
Exactly. The OP's original idea just makes something that should be simple very complicated.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 AM

12 posts, read 13,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Exactly. The OP's original idea just makes something that should be simple very complicated.
I tend to do that! I overestimated how bad traffic would be coming out as I know how bad it is coming in!

I think we have two preferred alternatives:
(1) Live within walking distance of Back Bay station. There are several $125 monthly non-peak-hours garages there that are perfect for reverse commuters. I drive out on the Pike, wife takes Orange/Green to North Station & commuter rail past there to Salem.
(2) Live in West Medford or nearby. We both drive, but are able to cut around most of the areas that always have stop & go. Looks to be about 35 min each from there.

Living out in Bedford/Woburn/Burlington is still a possibility, but I do like more urban environments, so I think Medford & nearby are a better fit.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,671,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingavocado View Post
I tend to do that! I overestimated how bad traffic would be coming out as I know how bad it is coming in!

I think we have two preferred alternatives:
(1) Live within walking distance of Back Bay station. There are several $125 monthly non-peak-hours garages there that are perfect for reverse commuters. I drive out on the Pike, wife takes Orange/Green to North Station & commuter rail past there to Salem.
(2) Live in West Medford or nearby. We both drive, but are able to cut around most of the areas that always have stop & go. Looks to be about 35 min each from there.

Living out in Bedford/Woburn/Burlington is still a possibility, but I do like more urban environments, so I think Medford & nearby are a better fit.

Thanks for your advice everyone!
Option 1 is going to be hard on your wife and option 2 will be a little rougher on you.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:50 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,157,653 times
If you do live in the city, it sounds like the most complicated part of your commute is figuring out where to stash a car. Why bother? If you're in the office park east of the Route 9/128 interchange, it's only 3/4 of a mile from the Eliot station. If you're west of the interchange, there's a MetroWest RTA bus from the Woodland station.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:10 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,798,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
My wife got a great job offer. I decided I'd rather her be right next to work and just me have the long commute. We wanna start a family so this just made the most sense to me that her work home and daycare would all be right next to each other one day. My commute is about 78 miles each way, straight shot on the Turnpike. Cost is upwards of $27 a day (this was a wash as my wife no longer has a commute). Some days I just zone out and it only takes like an hour and 10 mins and I'm at work before I even know it. Other days I hit traffic and next thing I know I'm in the car for 2 hours. The amount of miles I'm putting on my car is killing me as I know the resale value is just disappearing each week. Would I do it again?? Yeeeeaaa probably, but I'm not gonna lie like it doesn't suck.

Taking one for the team boss. Personally I wouldn't do that for any woman on Earth but the effort is commendable.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:11 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,758,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Taking one for the team boss. Personally I wouldn't do that for any woman on Earth but the effort is commendable.
You're horrible. I moved a few years ago so my wife could have a 5 minute commute, while I suffer through an 80 minute commute into Boston.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:22 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You're horrible. I moved a few years ago so my wife could have a 5 minute commute, while I suffer through an 80 minute commute into Boston.

That's horrible. Good heavens.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:37 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,402,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Does she still appreciate it? Or does she complain that "you're never home" and "you're always too tired to do anything when you get home?"

What have you done for me lately?

Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 PM

643 posts, read 1,033,868 times
Personally, it has worked out well for us to have one good and one less good commute. Splitting the house chores is easier; if the weather is bad, both aren't suffering, etc.

I'm a fan of interesting commutes and was intrigued by the North Station option.

North Station option:
- Wife: Train to Salem, Zone 3 commuter rail - $2664 yearly
Caveat: Commuter rail struggles during the winter, this line it seemed, especially
- You: Train to Waltham, Zone 2 commuter rail - $2376 yearly
Park your car in a Waltham lot, $350 for a year pass
Total: $5390 (not including car expenses); unsure if you can get to your work by biking but it would be ~5.5 mi

Splitting the distance with two cars:
- Northbound 128 in the AM is 'ok' if you can leave early enough but the southbound commute is no fun. Southbound on 128 seems bad no matter what time of the day. I imagine you having to drive past Waltham/Burlington traffic and also Pike traffic is no picnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston