Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum so my apologies if this is either in the wrong section or a repetitive question. I'm a 27 year old female, born and raised in Chicagoland. April 2014 my uncle moved my grandma and I down to Nashville TN and I've been miserable since. My grandma has raised me since the age of 12 and we live together mainly because I help her with bills and I don't want her living in a nursing home. However I can't take another minute in this place. I'm a CNA and I'm in the LPN program set to graduate next January where O will continue to pursue a BA in Nursing. When I graduate from the LPN program I plan on moving far away from here. I have a couple of places in mind but I can't seem to make a proper decision. Ultimately where I choose, I will be getting my nursing BA there so it I know I'll have to spend 4 years where ever I go (something I just can't see myself doing in Nashville). I thought it was the homesickness, the culture shock, something that would explain my indifference, but honestly I can't find a logical reason other than "I hate it here"..it's been almost 2 years, I haven't adjusted, I haven't made a single friend (believe me, I tried) and dating has been hell. In regards to dating, 60% of the people I met were transplant so I can't say anything negative about southern guys. I live in Bellevue, which is a nice area but doesn't strike me as easily accessible to the social scene. I'm definitely not bashing Nashville in anyway, career wise it's opened up a lot of doors for me but sadly that is all I have to show for myself.

Anyway...

Boston is high on my radar. I had an ex I dated long distance that lived in the south shore area and I fell in love with the city. I always hear that people on the east coast were cold but I found quite the opposite. I won't go into details, but I met quite a few people who went the extra mile for me. I realize the winter might be a deal breaker for some but being from Chicagoland, the Windy City..I'm used to blizzards and negative degree weather. Honestly I miss it. This will be my second winter in Nashville and if we get another Ice storm, I will slide up the interstate to Boston. Some other reasons Boston is high on my list, are the fact that I'm in healthcare which Boston is quite known for their hospitals. All in all, I was only a tourist in Boston so perhaps my rose colored glasses were on..but I could see myself making a better life for myself.

Three more areas on my list were California (LA, San Diego or San Fran). My mom lived with her dad in LA, also, she met my dad who's from LA so I guess on a way I feel a connection to the place. I never met my father and aside from my mom's dad side of the family..I have my own other family out there in LA somewhere. The PNW is the second area (Seattle or Portland)..but i hear it's hard making friends there and having a small group of friends is a make it or break it deal. Last but not least NY (Queens)..I'm not sure why honestly, as the one and only time I went to NYC I found it dirty :/

So to conclude my post. Would Boston fit my needs? Or should I keep looking?

Single, ready for a serious relationship (Date friendly city)
I'm big on the music scene (Concerts, live music)
I'm not big on bars but I suppose if I had friends, I wouldn't mind some night outs
(Friend "Friendly" city )
Diverse activities
LPN/RN friendly city and good money

Sorry for any typos, my phone is cracked and I can barely see what I'm typing lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
I suppose you'd like it, but it's very, very expensive.

I have a daughter your age, she moved to Charlotte a year ago. Lots of single guys there!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:40 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Salem State has a very reputable nursing program. Salem is still a bit more affordable than most areas around Boston and has a young vibe, very walkable downtown area. Think you'd love it there.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
If you have a good job, not a decent job, a good one, then yes, Boston is great.

If not, you'll have a fine enough life, but know that other places would give ou much more for your dollar. for someone our age, I guess you might still be willing to live with roommates and sacrifice a bit, but probably not for more than a couple years. At least that's where I'm at.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
If you have a good job, not a decent job, a good one, then yes, Boston is great.

If not, you'll have a fine enough life, but know that other places would give ou much more for your dollar. for someone our age, I guess you might still be willing to live with roommates and sacrifice a bit, but probably not for more than a couple years. At least that's where I'm at.
I agree with this.

I would not recommend the move. Nursing is a profession that offers opportunity nation wide. It would be very difficult for me to justify the COL, harsh winters, insane roads, mediocre (being generous) public transit, etc. that's associated with life in the Boston area.

If you have an excellent or unique employment or education (post-doc, research, etc.) activity, then it's worth considering but I don't see much here that outweighs the cons for those who make more average incomes and work in jobs that are available across the country.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:39 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I agree with this.

I would not recommend the move. Nursing is a profession that offers opportunity nation wide. It would be very difficult for me to justify the COL, harsh winters, insane roads, mediocre (being generous) public transit, etc. that's associated with life in the Boston area.

If you have an excellent or unique employment or education (post-doc, research, etc.) activity, then it's worth considering but I don't see much here that outweighs the cons for those who make more average incomes and work in jobs that are available across the country.

One of the top ten, most actually consider top 5, public transit systems in the U.S. is "mediocre"

Ah, City Data!

Old 11-06-2015, 02:31 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
One of the top ten, most actually consider top 5, public transit systems in the U.S. is "mediocre"

Ah, City Data!
I know you love the T but it sucks.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Ah, City Data!
It maybe superior to all others in the country besides the MTA, but it still isn't that great. The buses are frequently delayed and there isn't that much rail coverage. There are only a few heavy rail lines and then the Green line which is a joke in and of itself.

I didn't say the T was awful, just mediocre. It's OK and (usually) gets one to where one needs to go, but my experience with it hasn't been that great.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:05 PM

596 posts, read 818,056 times
Has this forum ever told anyone they should move here? Good grief.

Also, the number of cities in the US with anything that could be called comprehensive public transit is small. There are only 15 rapid transit systems in the country. You may think the T is terrible, but I have friends that complain about the L, the MTA, and the Metro (probably more so than the others). No system is perfect, and few are actually better/more wide reaching than the MBTA.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I agree with this.

Some of your assumptions are true ( COL, insane roads), some are not as the transit/subway/commuter rail, etc., are quite good, and expansive. The winters are not that harsh, especially if she's from Chicago. Lots of opportunity for RNs in Boston, but your dollar will go MUCH further somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston