Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 5,669 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would appreciate some advice on an issue

I currently live in upstate NY (near Albany ) and am planning to look for work in Boston. I know long distance job searches are difficult, but will this be considered as a long distance job search in the eyes of employers?It's about 3 to 4 hours (depending on traffic) from where I live to Boston, so I can drive there for an interview and back in one day.
My general plan is that once I get a job offer to let employers know that I can start work two weeks after. Then I will spend the two weeks looking to rent a room in the area on Craigslist or other room-seeking websites. I currently live with my parents, so I won't have any furniture to move.

I know Boston is expensive to live in, but I'm hoping that I can find a room for under $1000 a month in a safe, clean area that is walking distance to a metro
Am I being realistic? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 02:37 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Yes, there are rooms in Quincy, near the red line subway, advertised on Patriotledger.com, the South Shore's paper.

Not sure of the quality or the clientele, but they're well under $200 weekly. Even CL has listings for Brookside Manor (or similar name) in Quincy often, better than most rooming houses I think, as it's not a rooming house.

Quincy has a nice library and a newish YMCA with pool.

It's convenient to downtown, less than 30 minutes to Park St. station.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:40 AM

176 posts, read 250,742 times
I would figure out some way to obtain a Boston address for your resumes. Do you have any acquaintances in town that would allow you to use their home address? Nobody uses physical addresses for communication during an employment search anyway so it would just be for paperwork if you received a formal offer. My experience has been that HR departments will look for any way to quickly narrow their giant stack of applicants and that location offers an easy out. You're probably not going to be considered for many of the places you apply with a New York address, even if it is not a real barrier that would stop you from being able to interview or even work a job.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:38 PM

Thank you for your replies!

This gives me a lot to think about.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Just for a counter point:
It took me 2 months to find a job with a Michigan address.
It took me 9 months to find another job with a Worcester address.
Then it took me 3 weeks to find yet another job with the same Worcester address.

It depends on what you do and how mobile that profession is.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:41 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of serious professional work experience. The type of jobs I would be qualified for would be lower level accounting/bookkeeping/office type of work, along with customer service, retail, receptionist, etc.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:28 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I made a very modest living in parts of the 80s and 90s doing temp office work (word processing/secretarial/adm. assistant/medical transcription).

However, I don't believe there are any or many temp firms specializing in that now. Everyone answers their own phone and knows how to type and use office software.

But Fidelity and Massachusetts General Hospital (Bulfinch Temps) and some colleges and hospitals did have their own in-house temp office staffing....not sure anymore.

And of course, sometimes those jobs could go permanent.

Of course, Panera is always hiring.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:47 PM

BostonGuy: Thank you for your reply.
So based on my low level of experience and the fact that I'm not local, is Boston even a smart option for me, or should I reconsider?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:51 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMoonLily View Post
BostonGuy: Thank you for your reply.
So based on my low level of experience and the fact that I'm not local, is Boston even a smart option for me, or should I reconsider?
Here's the deal - you'll find a job. It won't be a great job but it will be a job. The problem is the cost of living in Boston is so high that you'll probably struggle to get by. Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher? If not, you'll be competing against people who do which will make it that much harder.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Here's the deal - you'll find a job. It won't be a great job but it will be a job. The problem is the cost of living in Boston is so high that you'll probably struggle to get by. Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher? If not, you'll be competing against people who do which will make it that much harder.
Thank you! I have a BA in liberal arts field and a Masters in a business field but was unable to find employment in those fields
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston