Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am sure it will be a great trip as we've never been to Boston before. We don't mind chilly weather we tend to make the best out of every situation. It's colder in NYC now than Boston if not the same temp. We're going for the experience not to sit on the beach. Thanks again everyone those are some wonderful ideas!
The weather is usually pretty similar. Honestly I'd argue tourists who are accustomed to cold weather might have an easier time visiting Boston in the winter because everything is less crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 09:04 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Boston Public Library is a great place to visit and walk around.

If the weather is ok, you can go to some of the cemeteries and many tours leave from the Common. Not sure how many in the deep winter though. There's also the aquarium for indoor stuff and how's about sky zone (joking).

Have fun.
Yes, and The BPL even has tours. South Station also has tours a few days a week. Not sure of the schedules for either.

I would simply stroll the Charles River Esplanade up to Harvard Square, passing the lovely Weld Boathouse, then skip over into Harvard Square and into Harvard Yard for pix near the dorms, the John Harvard statue and the main library. Stroll historic Bratttle Street in Cambridge, and you'll pass the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow house....all assuming decent weather.

Get a nice photo of the Boston skyline overlooking the Charles River while walking over the Harvard Bridge (although I incorrectly call it the Mass. Ave. bridge)

Stroll Coolidge Corner in Brookline, then browse Brookline Booksmith before lunch a few doors down at Bottega Fiorentina (I read last week it's a fave food spot of the Boston Globe food writer).

Don't forget to check out the Boston Public Market (8 am to 8 pm Wednesday to Sunday). Opened last summer, and features all Massachusetts or New England foods and such. It's like an upscale, local food court.

One afternoon, I want to go up the elevator to the observation deck of the Custom House Tower. It used to be Friday afternoons only for a small donation to a Children's find. They closed it earlier this year for renovations to the building , but I think it's re-opened, and maybe the hours are the same.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 01-09-2016 at 09:14 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 08:34 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The weather is usually pretty similar. Honestly I'd argue tourists who are accustomed to cold weather might have an easier time visiting Boston in the winter because everything is less crowded.
I suppose you're right. I remember visiting Boston for the first time in the middle of winter to go apartment hunting prior to my relocation here. It was cold and my car heater broke, but my wife and I still had a great time. I somehow made it back to NJ without the heater/defroster. I ran out of de-icer fluid and my front windshield frosted over, so I drove the last hour down I-95 with my head out the window. You always make the best of the situation when you're on a roadtrip with your SO.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:55 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
The Boston Public Library is grand and beautiful, worth a visit even without looking at any books. It was one of my favorite places to go when I lived in the area.

Not exactly romantic, but two other interesting places are the aquarium and the planetarium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston