Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 12:28 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Are you seriously saying it's the governments responsibility to build parking garages for private businesses?

Not for a particular business, but yes, for business districts. Absolutely. That is what public parking garages are.

That's also largely what roads are. They're subsidies to private businesses for the movement of goods and their workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Let a private company buy the land and build a parking structure there then.
They may, the land might be too valuable for that though. I don't want basic infrastructure to be the domain of for profit private companies. They're too important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 02:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
If it's going to stuff every new venture/hq in the same miserable location, then yes.

I had a client/project in the seaport and the parking situation was absolutely miserable. I can only imagine how bad it is now with greater occupancy. I'd rather deal with the nosebleed prices elsewhere within the citythen deal with a NO parking situation.
The Gov't didn't "stuff" GE anywhere, the Corporation CHOSE to move, that's THEIR problem not the Govt's. Our tax money has a purpose and it's NOT to play commercial real estate landlord! If GE wants to move to a terrible location for it's employees and visitors, that's THEIR problem. Isn't the Government already doing enough crap their not supposed to be doing? I can only assume your a gov't employee if in our current state of oversized gov't that costs more to run than they take in you'd suggest they start spending even more on stuff that's not their issue. Complete insanity!

Old 01-17-2016, 10:12 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nor can one assume w/o incentives, any other corp would come.
That very well could be true also. Only time will tell if this is a good deal or not. My initial thought is that it isn't as good a deal as many think it is.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:05 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
The Gov't didn't "stuff" GE anywhere, the Corporation CHOSE to move, that's THEIR problem not the Govt's. Our tax money has a purpose and it's NOT to play commercial real estate landlord! If GE wants to move to a terrible location for it's employees and visitors, that's THEIR problem. Isn't the Government already doing enough crap their not supposed to be doing? I can only assume your a gov't employee if in our current state of oversized gov't that costs more to run than they take in you'd suggest they start spending even more on stuff that's not their issue. Complete insanity!
Stuff, incentivize, whatever ...

The city has and is directing industry/ventures to the seaport and neither the public or private infrastructure appears to be keeping pace. Large open parking lots are not very cosmopolitan, or efficient.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It seem Boston becoming little Manhattan of New England
Wasn't it always?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
The GE move is fantastic. The isolationist naysayers are nuts.

Incentives are standard practice. GE is more than a standard org. MA will get much more than we are giving, it’s a good deal. The actual people that come here aren't the main advantage IMO, it's all the runoff that the area benefits from. That includes the tangible and intangible runoff, of which there will be many.

And, GE is only one of the prominent orgs that are moving here. Philips Research did as well and have established connections with other orgs and educational institutions that benefit the institutions themselves, the population in terms of the innovative products and methods that are created, and benefit the economy...a lot.

The big picture concept of what is happening is greater than GE moving here, which is pretty great in and of itself, it's the longer term benefit. The area is known for innovation, outstanding human capital, etc. It’s now becoming even greater and orgs are investing here and moving here for that reason. Good orgs, with good people and good incomes.

I think orgs that can benefit from the minds and collaborations this area has to offer are seeing these benefits, and seeing them proved by orgs that have already relocated here and reaping the rewards. That is a big influence and makes a move less risky because some previous unknowns and now more known. Moves to this area have worked out well, places see that and the more this happens, the more other orgs will want to come here for even more collaboration. Philips research moved here for that purpose – to have greater collaboration and access to great people. It’s worked out well for them. Other institutions see that and that’ll influence them to consider coming so they can do the same and better themselves while bettering our economy...win – win.

Sure, there will be growing pains. But that’s much better than stagnation and no growth. This was a great place and is becoming greater. Welcome to GE and their money!

Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It seem Boston becoming little Manhattan of New England
Don't insult Boston like that.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:46 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
The GE move is fantastic. The isolationist naysayers are nuts.
I've been critical of it and I'd like to learn more, not because I'm isolationist, but because the state is already struggling with funding significant projects/organizations. I agree Boston is booming, for many valid reasons, but the state continues to struggle with budget issues. I know I keep banging the same old drum, but I'll continue. The MBTA is failing. The GLX is cancelled, the commuter rail is set to introduce service cuts in the spring. Every single T line suffered delays this morning due to track problems or signal delays — a problem so persistent it's now just expected.

I think public transit is a major factor in the success and quality of life of the region, and, other than some advisory committees, it's being left to die. Fare hikes and service cuts are steps backwards. I welcome GE, but I'm more interested in the state getting the MBTA the funding it needs to be a reliable, extensive transit option. Extending GE $120m in incentives in the form of Seaport parking garages without having any plan whatsoever to increase funding for the much wider-reaching MBTA is a problem.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post

I think public transit is a major factor in the success and quality of life of the region, and, other than some advisory committees, it's being left to die. Fare hikes and service cuts are steps backwards. I welcome GE, but I'm more interested in the state getting the MBTA the funding it needs to be a reliable, extensive transit option. Extending GE $120m in incentives in the form of Seaport parking garages without having any plan whatsoever to increase funding for the much wider-reaching MBTA is a problem.

I disagree on fare hikes. Our ride costs are way too low. That is part of the problem. They undercharge, just look at other mass transit systems, ours cost significantly less. Add to that the ridiculous forward funding provision and the big dig debt and you have a bad situation. The need to raise fairs (yes, I pay and I'll continue to pay) and invest in the system.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:26 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
That was poorly worded on my part. I support the fare hikes, actually; I meant simultaneously, fare hikes combined with reduction in service, particularly when it's not part of a plan to get back to a stable operational foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston