Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:38 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times

Advertisements

I'm guilty of it myself. I don't blurt it out in public. Mostly if working on a project at home, or on the car I might mutter something under my breath. In general I don't curse in front of others.

Being an atheist.......meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 12:56 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
So in conclusion, you are correct. We're all going to hell.

Is that where Lemmy is? If so, sign me up!

Old 01-23-2016, 02:51 PM

3,784 posts, read 2,687,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I grew up near Boston and didn't think much about this until I noticed its marked absence when I moved to CO, and elsewhere later.

People in/near Boston swear using religous words as cussing more than anybody else I've heard. This includes in white-collar office settings, not just construction sites or bars and parties.

I'm not talking about G*dam*, but more colorful phrases such as these:

J*. H. Chr* on a stick!
Chr* almighty!
F*ing J*!
For Chr* sake!

Is it only my impression, or have other people noticed this quirk? BTW, I am not posting to criticize it, rather more as a comment on local language habits.
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. I haven't noticed any significant difference in the propensity to use these colorful phrases between the PNW and New England.

Instead of Christ on stick, it was Christ on a cracker. And no Jesus, Mary and Joseph out there. But otherwise, usage was the same, though perhaps not in a professional setting.

I never heard Christ in a sidecar before. I kind of like a sidecar now and then, but it never makes me feel divine. Perhaps I need to order from the top shelf.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:22 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Funny, I pictured JC riding in a motorcycle sidecar. You know, with Jesus by my side" applied to Harleys. Or something like that. What an image.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:40 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I grew up near Boston and didn't think much about this until I noticed its marked absence when I moved to CO, and elsewhere later.

People in/near Boston swear using religous words as cussing more than anybody else I've heard. This includes in white-collar office settings, not just construction sites or bars and parties.

I'm not talking about G*dam*, but more colorful phrases such as these:

J*. H. Chr* on a stick!
Chr* almighty!
F*ing J*!
For Chr* sake!

Is it only my impression, or have other people noticed this quirk? BTW, I am not posting to criticize it, rather more as a comment on local language habits.
It's funny, I'm an atheist (grew up in a very loosely Catholic family- really tradition only- and went to Catholic school/confirmation, etc.), and I use a lot of these fairly regularly. Particularly "Jesus F------ Christ!" (or "Jesus Tapdancing Chr*st," or just "Jesus Chr*st"). I do it without thinking. There's no particular extra meaning behind it. I don't want to offend anyone or take a jab at those who are Christian. As an atheist, there's no superstition, so that definitely plays a role. But it's just habit at this point. I'm conscious about it to a degree (I have some devout friends and family) and I make efforts to not do it in public, but it is pretty common here. As BostonMike7 said, meh.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:47 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Heard a good one this weekend...

"Jesus S***s in his hat"

Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Jesus, Mary, & Joseph!
ha, that's the one I thought of. I don't think I've heard that one since I moved to Denver from Boston, except when I sometimes say it myself. And the funny part is that I'm Jewish! But after living in Boston for 25 years, it gets into your system! lol!

Old 01-25-2016, 12:41 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's funny, I'm an atheist (grew up in a very loosely Catholic family- really tradition only- and went to Catholic school/confirmation, etc.), and I use a lot of these fairly regularly. Particularly "Jesus F------ Christ!" (or "Jesus Tapdancing Chr*st," or just "Jesus Chr*st"). I do it without thinking. There's no particular extra meaning behind it. I don't want to offend anyone or take a jab at those who are Christian. As an atheist, there's no superstition, so that definitely plays a role. But it's just habit at this point. I'm conscious about it to a degree (I have some devout friends and family) and I make efforts to not do it in public, but it is pretty common here. As BostonMike7 said, meh.

Haha hee hee, tap dancing. You summed up my impressions. There isn't a second thought given to those swears tossed out freely even at work. It is contagious. I did not grow up either religious OR swearing, but after working with swearers, I started doing it. Then carried it with me to a new city, where it was not common. I didn't realize until a boyfriend accused me of swearing a lot, and yes they included that particular brand of profanity.

And for the record, all of the Catholics I knew as an adult in/near Boston were vehemently EX-Catholic.

Emm74, you and I spread the contagion to Denver!

BostonMike7, that one conjures up an even worse image than JC in a sidecar. Holy sh....OOPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: