U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 PM

14 posts, read 18,221 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from the Bay Area to Boston. We have two kids, grade 6 and 4. We would be looking to rent in a family friendly area, commutable to Cambridge in under an hour. Top priority are good schools and safe neighborhoods. We would like to buy a 4 bedroom family home at approx 1.3 million. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 AM

316 posts, read 657,501 times
You have a number of options, and there are some similar threads on this I think. That said, off the top of my head I would suggest Arlington, Belmont, Lexington, Newton, and Winchester to begin with.

It definitely depends somewhat on the type of community you're looking for. Do you prefer something suburban and spread out, or is a more urban, walkable layout more appealing? Most of Arlington, some of Belmont, and some parts of Newton are more on the walkable side, while pockets of those towns and most of Lexington and Winchester trend much more heavily toward car travel as the preferred mode.

Most portions of these cities and towns would work with your time constraints, although it depends somewhat upon your mode of transit. Arlington and Belmont are within an hour of most of Cambridge via public transit or car; the others are safely within an hour by car, even probably at rush hour, save perhaps the southernmost parts of Newton. There are more towns that would work obviously outside of those hours, but don't let the small distances fool you (much like the Bay Area I think) - travel can be very slow around here at peak times, even over very short trajectories.

Given your ample budget and the fact that you have small kids you probably want to spend time with, I'd zero in on places as close as possible to Cambridge so you don't have to deal with the stress of rushing around on congested busses, trains, or roads going to and from work.

Last edited by professeurpablo; 01-22-2016 at 04:02 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 05:55 AM

40,681 posts, read 33,006,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
You have a number of options, and there are some similar threads on this I think. That said, off the top of my head I would suggest Arlington, Belmont, Lexington, Newton, and Winchester to begin with.

Completely agree with this. If you want to public transit in an hour, reduce it to Belmont and Arlington.

Might tweak things a little depending on what part of Cambridge you're commuting to.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:13 AM

591 posts, read 720,551 times
Ah ha! I've discovered the only time people on this board don't try to dissuade people from moving here--when they are coming from the Bay Area.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:17 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,006,560 times
Arlington, Belmont, parts of Newton and Brookline would offer best balance of sane commute, good schools, and overall quality of living.

If urban/semi-urban living is not your cup of tea, and if you do not mind longer commute, then check out Concord, Bedford, Lexington and Acton.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:30 AM

40,681 posts, read 33,006,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Ah ha! I've discovered the only time people on this board don't try to dissuade people from moving here--when they are coming from the Bay Area.

Or NYC, and the reasons should be obvious: no sticker shock / commute shock.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:49 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,306,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
I mean their housing budget supports living here with little in the way of compromise.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:10 AM

6,061 posts, read 6,890,813 times
Arlington.

It's refreshing for someone to have a realistic idea of prices here and a budget that is enough for a decent place.

On behalf of the Boston people, I welcome you and your money!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:21 PM

872 posts, read 548,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Arlington, Belmont, parts of Newton and Brookline would offer best balance of sane commute, good schools, and overall quality of living.
This is where we focused our search and we work in Cambridge - all depends on what is most important to you .... and of course what you are willing to/have to compromise on

We are still very happy in Belmont for what its worth

Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 PM

548 posts, read 599,970 times
I met a couple who moved here from the Bay area. They settled in Belmont. It's a great town with good schools and a short commute to Cambridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston