Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Here anyone say it is no biggie? I didn't. That's big, but that's exceptionally rare, just like a an accident on the pike that shuts down traffic is rare, but less rare than this.

But where is the problem here? With the T? Nope. This is an AMTRAK failure. They operate the switches and signals. That's for profit enterprise for you. ...
I'm sure Amtrak would love to make a profit, but they're another publicly-owned authority that's starved for money and operating in an environment where they can't do a decent job of maintaining their facilities. Any time we say "We want better service" we'll hear the response "Only if you pay for it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Lol dude

Amtrak is just another failure of a government program. Trust me, Amtrak does not make profits. That would involve customer service and not messing up so royally.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:14 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It's sadly getting to the point where driving is more reliable than the T.
Reliable in that the delays happen so often you can count on them.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:56 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
basically unless you live down the st from where you work and can walk you are screwed.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:05 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
basically unless you live down the st from where you work and can walk you are screwed.
Definitely the way to go if you can.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:49 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Lol dude

Amtrak is just another failure of a government program. Trust me, Amtrak does not make profits. That would involve customer service and not messing up so royally.

They're run as a for profit. That's how they're set up. Lots of for profits don't make any profits, that's not uncommon, it doesn't change the fact that they are a for profit enterprise.

But the point is the failure at South Station has nothing to do with the T.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:51 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

Or you know, you take the T, like everyone in my Boston office, and none of us have any problem, whether we use the T bus, the T subway, or the commuter rail, getting to work on time every single day. Last time there was an issue that really affected that was the once in a lifetime snows last year.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
That said commuter rail to subway adds a significant amount of time to a commute, especially on the way home. It's not surprising to me that poster determined driving would be better.
in 2006 /2007 I was working a few buildings over from south station but commuting in via north station. The orange line subway was so crowded, inconsistent and unreliable that I began a combination of running and walking from south station to north station even in the dead of winter. The great thing about the bitter cold was that it made the sidewalks much less crowded.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Or you know, you take the T, like everyone in my Boston office, and none of us have any problem, whether we use the T bus, the T subway, or the commuter rail, getting to work on time every single day. Last time there was an issue that really affected that was the once in a lifetime snows last year.
You have never set foot on the T.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:32 PM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
Quote:
It's cheap (too cheap, they really underprice themselves)

Efficient (last time I ever had a problem was during a really bad snow last winter)

And you don't need to deal with the expense or hassle of owning a car. I need one now to get to my westborough office, but other than for that, owning a car just stinks all around.

45 minutes-60 minutes in traffic vs 60-75 minutes on the T? That's a no brainer. Most people will take the T to save on money and read. Cars are money pits.

And tomorrow night I'm going to JP to hang out with someone. Should I drive or T? I could go all the way into boston then the arborway or whatever its called and back, or I can walk 10 minutes to Sullivan and get off at Ruggles and walk 5 minutes. T all the way. Less stress, less hassle.
So it is very doable to get around without a car? I absolutely hate driving in traffic and I am sure where I live it is probably not as bad. I had an appointment yesterday left extra early and was still late. I was getting frustrated sitting in traffic, much better to sit back with a good book or listen o music on the i pad, :-) plus less expense of gas maintenance, and insurance which I bet is pretty costly in Boston. My husband rides the bus to work evey day and he loves it. We also have light rail. Both are pretty good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston