Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They can complain about whatever they want to, but only here, and I've lived in this area on and off for many years and grew up here, but only on CD do people refer to the commuter rail as "the T". It just isn't reality when you live here. You can't use a monthly inclusive T pass for it, its a different animal.

Hey, yeah, that MBTA monthly pass is great, covers everything and unlimited rides... except, you know, that other thing. The T pass covers the T. All the T. It doesn't cover the commuter rail, as it isn't the T. Simple sheet. Everyone I know seems to get this. It's just CD. I assume because this is a very right wing, anti government, population and forum. And with this "conservative" mindset of these right wingers, they're proposal to improve things is to defund them and micromanage them, as they've done with schools, the FDA, etc etc. It's a really poorly disguised plan to reduce the credibility of our public services and the public sector and to promote the private for profit leaches that love to suck of the public teat.
The thing you think is called "the T pass" is actually called the "link pass". It's a kind of T pass, just like the many commuter rail zone passes. I was actually of the same mind as you about "the T" just being subway, but I looked it up and the usage does not seem to be exclusive.

MBTA.com > Fare and Pass Information for Subway Service

And you may have some huge chip on your shoulder based on negative CD experiences, but people who take commuter rail aren't right wingers who want to defund transit. Quite the opposite in my limited experience. Those people tend not to work in central Boston and when they do, they drive.

And if you think people only complain about the T on CD then you probably don't take any form of transit offered by the MBTA. I've heard complaints about the bus, about the subway, and about the commuter rail while on the bus, the subway, and commuter rail. Complaining about something usually means you a) use it and b) want it to be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Default Re

I never said the commuter rail was the T, but I still expect it to run properly. Also the commuter rail is part of the mbta so it is the T technically. And it's ridiculous to say that just because people don't live in boston proper or freakin somerville or cambridge that they should have to struggle to get into the city to work. That actually might be the stupidest thing I've heard on here. Boston is small and cramped enough. Of course people need to live in other areas.

And yes companies need to expand to places beyond boston. The way things are growing it's just not sustainable. It will only get worse if everyone moves to this state to work in boston and cambridge. I recently heard that some tech company is moving to Lowell and plans to hire 1000 people. That's great news.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:14 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I never said the commuter rail was the T, but I still expect it to run properly. Also the commuter rail is part of the mbta so it is the T technically. And it's ridiculous to say that just because people don't live in boston proper or freakin somerville or cambridge that they should have to struggle to get into the city to work. That actually might be the stupidest thing I've heard on here. Boston is small and cramped enough. Of course people need to live in other areas.

And yes companies need to expand to places beyond boston. The way things are growing it's just not sustainable. It will only get worse if everyone moves to this state to work in boston and cambridge. I recently heard that some tech company is moving to Lowell and plans to hire 1000 people. That's great news.
That Tech. company is in Chelmsford now.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:51 PM

374 posts, read 654,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Absolutely correct! The MBTA owns most of the commuter rail tracks (the Worcester line might be the exception). The MBTA owns the commuter rail trains and equipment. The contractor merely provides the labor to run the daily operations. The commuter rail is part of the "T."
They own the track to Worcester.

I never heard of such nonsense. Only people from out of state do not think of commuter rail as part of T due to their obliviousness.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:36 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,130 times
The T sucks. But id rather pay the monthly pass fee than sit in traffic, pay tolls and parking. The T is useful for those who live and work in Boston because we are the ones who have to pay all those additional fees. If you live in the suburbs then perhaps it is easier to drive. Its pretty sad that living 15 minutes outside of Boston equates to an hour drive on 93 during rush hour. If its going to take me that long then I will use the MBTA, save my gas, not yell at idiot drivers, and arrive home at the same time.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:41 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
The commuter rail isn't really part of the mbta technically.

First it was managed by Amtrak
Then it was MBCR

Now it is Keolis

Old 03-11-2016, 06:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The commuter rail isn't really part of the mbta technically.

First it was managed by Amtrak
Then it was MBCR

Now it is Keolis
Managed by Keolis, owned by the MBTA.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:22 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
The entire system needs to be modernized. Of course there isn't money for such an undertaken. So I imagine the T will go on as it is until it's compete collapse occurs. America doesn't deal with its crumbling infrastructures.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:07 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Managed by Keolis, owned by the MBTA.
True. Although I think MBCR was also part owned by a number of different groups. Not sure if it technically still exists.

A few years ago I took an online class that tried to explain european SPV's special project vehicles. The only US version they could argue was Enron but it's basically like a public private partnership that exists on a temporary basis to build something and then dissolve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_purpose_entity

Not sure if something like this could fix the t. Personally I think places like Harvard and MIT should bail out the MBTA and some of the top hospitals could chip in. They easily benefit the most from public transit

Old 03-13-2016, 06:13 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
True. Although I think MBCR was also part owned by a number of different groups. Not sure if it technically still exists.
MBCR doesn't exist anymore. It was a joint venture with Veolia (now called Transdev) of France, Bombardier of Quebec, and Alternate Concepts of Boston. They ran the commuter rail for the MBTA after Amtrak and before Keolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston