Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 01:40 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

Public transportation In the US has been screwed since the government took billions of taxes to build highways and Subsidized suburbia and city/started gov bought off private transit lines all over the country. Pretty hopeless now. Best for Mbta would be to raise prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 01:41 PM

161 posts, read 230,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Who voted for him is actually irrelevant. What is relevant is that he has a long record as a proponent of privatization, and as such, he'd be a fool (and wildly inconsistent) to let a plum like the MBTA slip through his fingers. All he has to do is sit back and do nothing (as he's been doing) until service gets so horrible that the citizens of the Commonwealth say "Sure, privatize it, it can't be any worse than it is now." Which should be in about 6-8 weeks, depending on the weather.
He may be a proponent of privatization, but it doesn't mean he actually practices what he preaches. Look what he did to the Weston Ski Track. It was privatized, and the DCR just took over operations despite protests from the many users of the venue (including all the high schools that practice there). It's now run by a bunch government union boobs that know nothing about ski equipment.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...TsO/story.html

Old 01-26-2016, 01:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,695,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Public transportation In the US has been screwed since the government took billions of taxes to build highways and Subsidized suburbia and city/started gov bought off private transit lines all over the country. Pretty hopeless now. Best for Mbta would be to raise prices.
Yes the problem is in the past the MBTA viewed commuter rail riders as a cash cow and raised the price of a pass significantly every time there was a fare hike. They have now reached a point where in many cases the commuter rail will become more expensive than driving if they raise the fare much more.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:17 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Default Re

I think the commuter rail is more expensive than driving in many cases.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:29 PM

24 posts, read 27,752 times
The free Silver Line ride is paid for by MassPort, not the MBTA.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:44 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Default Re

I didn't know the silver line was free. I don't think I even know anyone who takes the silver line. The worst part of the T is the people on it. If it was less crowded it would be more tolerable.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I didn't know the silver line was free. I don't think I even know anyone who takes the silver line. The worst part of the T is the people on it. If it was less crowded it would be more tolerable.
It's free from the airport only.

For me the worst part is the unreliability. I know how long a ride should take but I never know how long it's going to actually take.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,256 times
Sitting on an inbound train right now in central. We've been here for 10 minutes waiting for a signal problem to clear at Kendall. This represents everything wrong with the T. Friday night at 10 and we can even leave the station.

I don't know how people deal with the unpredictability on a daily basis. Reminds me of my earlier post where I waited 45 min for the silver line at the airport.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Sitting on an inbound train right now in central. We've been here for 10 minutes waiting for a signal problem to clear at Kendall. This represents everything wrong with the T. Friday night at 10 and we can even leave the station.

I don't know how people deal with the unpredictability on a daily basis. Reminds me of my earlier post where I waited 45 min for the silver line at the airport.
Yes. Exactly. Yet there is a poster who claims to never have a problem with the T lol.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Yes. Exactly. Yet there is a poster who claims to never have a problem with the T lol.
Yeah... Not sure what world that is.

So far tonight my reality has been:

Uber split 2 ways from W. Somerville to Central - 15min $5.10

Central to Park on the T - 20+ min and $2.10, not door to door

Yeah, I'll spend the extra $3 from now on when I go out.

And I knew about the Longfellow. Just was not expecting this .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston