Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM

18 posts, read 22,739 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a couple in our 30s moving to Boston in the summer. Our jobs will be near the BU Charles River campus (for me) and most likely downtown for my spouse. Our plan is to rent for a few months to a year to learn about neighborhoods before buying. Our budget is $2500-2750 for a 2BR property in an area where our commutes can be under 30 minutes on average. We are looking for something updated with parking and close to public transportation. Safety is very important. If the area is walkable with parks, restaurants, etc that is a plus but not a deal breaker.

We don't have kids. Moving from the Bay Area.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 05:25 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
If you want walkable then I would look at Brookline. I'm not sure your budget is going to get you everything on your list though. Newton can be a tad cheaper but is not as walkable or you can look at Waltham or Watertown which are much less expensive but are nowhere near as walkable as Brookline and also don't offer the same public transportation options. It really becomes a question of - where do you want to be happier? When you're inside your home or when you're outside your home?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:54 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,058 times
Since this is just for a few months to a year (much more likely, as landlords aren't often too willing to get out of the school year rhythm), I'd keep it simple and set your sights on the Coolidge Corner area (Brookline, as mentioned by Mike), or somewhere else along Beacon, maybe even Washington Square. Easy access to BU and Downtown, lots of parks, very safe, decent amount if not amazing assortment of restaurants and shops. A very convenient place to live, and your budget should be fine.

Updated with parking slims your selection significantly, but they do exist.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:56 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Brookline

Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Was going to say Washington Square in Brookline. In many ways it's the most ideal location, in my opinion. I would love to move over there. A bit Cheaper than Coolidge Corner overall, right on the C line, very close to BU, great safe and walkable community. About 10 bars and restaurants in the area, Star Market is right there.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:16 PM

18 posts, read 22,739 times
Thank you all for the responses. Much appreciated.
Are parts of Brookline to be avoided (safety, undergraduate student population) ?

Also, would increasing our budget to $3000-3250 open up other neighborhoods?

Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.haze View Post
Thank you all for the responses. Much appreciated.
Are parts of Brookline to be avoided (safety, undergraduate student population) ?

Also, would increasing our budget to $3000-3250 open up other neighborhoods?
Really, all of Brookline is fine. The undergrads may well live nearby at Cleveland Circle, but living on Beacon Street is way better than living on Comm Ave.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
I spent a couple minutes googling the area where I used to live -- I lived on St. Paul Street in Brookline, convenient to both the C and the D lines years ago when I was in law school at B.U. It was a very nice area - it was close to B.U., and there were graduate students around, but it was overall quiet, with plenty of non-students, and I don't recall any undergraduates. But it was very close to Coolidge Corner.

I see this place is not far from where I lived. (It was a condo apartment, and we rented from an individual owner. This place looks generally similar but is an apartment building.) Maybe check out this apartment and the areas around it and see if it works for you. Apartments for Rent in Brookline, MA | St. Paul Gardens Apartments in Brookline, MA

Old 02-08-2016, 05:06 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Increasing your budget to over $3K will make it more likely that the place will be updated and/or will have a parking spot.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I see this place is not far from where I lived. (It was a condo apartment, and we rented from an individual owner. This place looks generally similar but is an apartment building.) Maybe check out this apartment and the areas around it and see if it works for you. Apartments for Rent in Brookline, MA | St. Paul Gardens Apartments in Brookline, MA
That's an OK location. I personally prefer the other side of Beacon.

OP, I'm in Brookline, Coolidge Corner. A few block away from Comm Ave, which is where the Charles River Campus is.

This area would probably be a great option for you. It is expensive but you can likely find a 2 bed in your budget. Supply might not be high and you may have to snap something up quick but that's he name of the game here. You can check out Dexter Park. It's become more studenty recently but it's a bigger complex than other places (so may have a rental or two available) and there is parking. It's not all students though. It's convenient for sure.

Coolidge Corner has plenty of fun independent shops, places to eat, an amazing and quirky community supported independent theater (Johhny Dep was here for the opening of Black Mass! Other actors visit and talk about their films before the show, there are plenty of live performances too), a very hip bookstore (with many events), etc. There are undergrades, grad students, and many families too. Big mix of people. Farmers mkt, art festivals, etc. There are plenty of young people because it's a hip place and plenty of old people because it's walkable so they don't need a car and are more independent. More racial diversity would be nice though. Not a terrible amount of economic diversity either, many professionals - lots of medical people since it's so close to Longwood. Driving in Brookline is a huge PITA. I usually walk, bike, or take the T most everywhere. Except weekends when I take the kid to bday parties or his activities, or go food shopping. Other than that, I'm car less and it feels great. I never knew how liberating it was to get around without a car.

When we moved here a few years ago, we did the same thing - rented for about 1.5 years (In Brookline) before buying (bought a place a block away from where we rented). We looked at Dexter park, we passed on it but take a look, maybe it'll suit you for a while. Washington Sq is ok too, a bit further out but still ok. There is also Brookline Village, which is good. Again, further out and a different feel. Everywhere in Brookline is safe. Coolidge corner is a great place to live. It's just expensive. But hey, I'm worth it.

Welcome to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston