Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:14 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,301,866 times

Advertisements

MBTA fare hikes: Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 04:33 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,398,490 times
Globe headline says "MBTA approves fare hike amid chaotic protest". And then:

"Greater Boston public transit officials unanimously approved a system-wide average fare hike of 9.3 percent amid shouts and boos from protesters who plunged the board meeting into chaos."

MBTA approves fare hike amid chaotic protest - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

I wish a reporter had asked some of the people in the audience, "Where do you think the money ought to come from?"

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 AM

Default Re

Tax dollars.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 AM

7,705 posts, read 12,548,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Late at night is only dead because the city refuses to allow most things to be open late, and I don't just mean bars (which aren't in their control).
Nothing good happens late at night anyway. This is a good thing.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:14 AM

Default Re

Tell that to people using it to get home from work.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,882,017 times
Commuter rail riders taking the brunt of increases again.

Pricing on the Subway needs to be a node system. I can take a bus from Bedford, MA to the red, switch to the orange, then to the blue, then take a bus at Wonderland to Marblehead for.. $2.25. There needs to be a node system in place so you pay for your length of trip, much like the commuter rail.

I do agree that fairs need to be increased. There is limited ways this board can cut costs thank the the unions. I don't think it is fair taxing everyone in the state for Bostons system. Aside from a localized income tax for those communities serve by the T, raising the fairs is what they need to do.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:20 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Commuter rail riders taking the brunt of increases again.

Pricing on the Subway needs to be a node system. I can take a bus from Bedford, MA to the red, switch to the orange, then to the blue, then take a bus at Wonderland to Marblehead for.. $2.25. There needs to be a node system in place so you pay for your length of trip, much like the commuter rail.

I do agree that fairs need to be increased. There is limited ways this board can cut costs thank the the unions. I don't think it is fair taxing everyone in the state for Bostons system. Aside from a localized income tax for those communities serve by the T, raising the fairs is what they need to do.
That's what pisses me off the most. Commuter rail fares go up astronomically and have the worst quality of service yet the bus and subway allows you to cover much more ground for a very cheap price that doesn't take distance travelled into account. This also fails to take into account that parking at CR stations costs $4/day ($7/day at 128).

They've officially made driving a cheaper option than CR for most people and I expect ridership to drop dramatically.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:29 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,882,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
That's what pisses me off the most. Commuter rail fares go up astronomically and have the worst quality of service yet the bus and subway allows you to cover much more ground for a very cheap price that doesn't take distance travelled into account. This also fails to take into account that parking at CR stations costs $4/day ($7/day at 128).

They've officially made driving a cheaper option than CR for most people and I expect ridership to drop dramatically.
I am totally a hypocrite because I bought a house in Marblehead, walking distance to a bus which I take to into Wonderland for $75 a month.

If we looked in towns further out, we would have had our price range cut by $100,000 because it would be about $500 more a month to register a car, pay insurance, gas, pay to park for $70/mo, $200+ more for a pass, not to mention the leafy Metro west Burbs like Acton have almost DOUBLE the tax rates of Marblehead.

I hope this increases the popularity of the private Commuter bus' which are some of the best deals out there. Coach Co. out of Newburyport is $160/10 round trips, free parking, and half hour to Haymarket.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 AM

295 posts, read 314,329 times
I think the MBTA is underestimating the number of new alternatives out there that are ceopping up, in particular ride sharing companies. Its not there yet, but some now offer pooling options which make using them no longer that big of a stretch from a cost standpoint.

Also, for those who say you are OK with the increase because you drive anyways, expect to add a few minutes to your commute because some ppl are gonna start driving as well as fewer and more expensive parking spots in town.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:52 AM

344 posts, read 333,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
I think the MBTA is underestimating the number of new alternatives out there that are ceopping up, in particular ride sharing companies. Its not there yet, but some now offer pooling options which make using them no longer that big of a stretch from a cost standpoint.

Also, for those who say you are OK with the increase because you drive anyways, expect to add a few minutes to your commute because some ppl are gonna start driving as well as fewer and more expensive parking spots in town.
No one is going to start driving into town because of a dime increase on the subways and a .50-1.00 increase in commuter rail tickets. That's just absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston