Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:52 PM

29 posts, read 144,462 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Boston in the Fenway neighborhood with my girlfriend and we are thinking about moving to Cambridge's Central Square neighborhood. To be Specific on Columbia Street a few blocks from Mass Ave. How safe is this neighborhood? I have been there several times both at night and during the day, but I wanted peoples opinion of the neighborhood. Any thing you can tell me would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,689 times
Central Square is funky, hip, blacker, international, multi-cultural, mixed income, families and young singles. Crime and safety isn't a big concern. Parking is much easier than the Fenway. It hasn't changed much in 20years.

I never liked the Columbia area but it's probably been gentrified by now. I liked the Boston University side down Magazine St going towards the BU bridge. I also lived on Washington St behind the Square, that was okay. There's a lot of quiet pockets you can find.

Housing in Central is less dense, more 3-deckers with yards. Fenway is rows of apartment buildings but it can seem quietr because of the massive stone and brick construction.

You didn't say what part of the Fenway, it really has several different areas, but if you like living in the Fenway, and the people, you'll probably like Central Square even better.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Sorry I did not mention where I live in the Fenway, I live across from the Fens on Boylston Street (the west part of the Fenway). I really like your descrpiton of Central Square 'willdufauve' Thank you. What do you not like about the Columbia area? Do you think it is worth looking at apartments on the other side of Mass Ave if I found one pretty nice in the Columbia area? I have a feeling that I will like living in Central Square even more than the Fenway.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:38 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
I wouldn't live on columbia.... not the safests of streets. I knew someone who lived over there and her house was broken into numerous times not to mention she didn't feel safe walking home at night.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:08 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Columbia Street isn't bad. I used to work a block over on Essex and Harvard and never had any trouble walking home at all hours of the day and night. Would eat lunch all the time at the park right there as well- it's one of the few areas of the Boston area where I would always see kids playing in the street and parks.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
There was a murder nearby on Windsor Street last Friday: 4 arrests in fatal Cambridge shooting - BostonHerald.com

My daughter lives on Magazine Street, which is better but she doesn't feel safe. Her apartment building was broken into in the middle of the night. She doesn't really feel safe walking home from the T stop this time of year when it is dark when she gets out of work.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM

The B.U. side of central is just my preference. The only part of Camribridge I wouldn't live in, off the top of my head, is right close to M.I.T. or near the projects.

If I was in the Fenway, I would want to be "inner" a little more, like Peterboro St or along the Fens where it's greener and you get to know the neighbors more. It's more mixed - seniors, Berklee students and teachers, young goths, glbt, etc.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 PM

I am moving to Central Square. Thanks everyone who responded. I have a feeling I will really like it there.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM

Good luck.You'll do fine in cambridge.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 AM

9 posts, read 35,823 times
could someone please enlighten me as to where exactly the projects are in cambridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston