Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,650 times

Advertisements

Howdy,
We are an affluent and educated couple in our twenties looking to move to Boston to attend Emerson for grad school. Liberal and 420 friendly, we are hoping to move to a neighborhood with residents of similar attitudes. We also own an eight year Boxer so someplace near a dog park would also be wonderful.

Also, does Boston have a independent theatre district? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
To compare how liberal and 420 friendly, I would ask where you're coming from, ie; Humbolt County or Kansas.

Trying to rent is tougher if you have a dog. Landlords see it as a liability - damage to the unit, mess in yard, barking disturbing other tenants. Fair or not, there's increasing sensitivity around dogs that have a pit bull kind of appearance

There's small theater companies in Boston, not like New York City though. Emerson and Boston University theater depts is where I would ask around. Also, Wheelock family theater, there's others.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
Wow.. affluent and 420 friendly in the same posting.

I would recommend the South End. It's very dog friendly.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:34 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
Welcome Tina & John,

I agree with HowGoesIt. The South End is a pricey area but has a nice vibe. Hopefully someone here who is local to the South End can chime in re: what the best streets are. My folks rented a place there - I want to say the street was Appleton? - the neighbors were young & friendly. Many dog owners. I have a few friends who have lived there that were 420 friendly but I can't speak for the overall neighborhood in general. And law enforcement is definately not lax here, I should note that. You aren't likely to find rentals that outright say 420 friendly like you would in parts of N. Cal but I'm sure you'll find people who are. It's not really info I'd volunteer to a landlord in Boston! :-) (I always found it funny when we were apartment hunting in Santa Cruz there were so many listings that clearly said no *cigarette* smoking!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Central Square in Cambridge would be another place to look.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Appleton St was gentrified over 25 years ago and is very expensive. Nice part of the South End, though. For comparison, I'd be very surprised if you could still buy a building there for a million dollars.

Boston isn't Amsterdam but it's pretty much live and let live. I've noticed people do whatever they want with a minimum of discretion, if any.

Holden125 is right about Central Square but I'd look on the Boston University side of Mass Ave, like the side streets down off Magazine St.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:02 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Smile Arlington/Winchester/Wakefield

I'd recommend Arlington Mass. its a great dog friendly town with lots of parks, even one with a great view of the city...in Arlington heights ( a great place to live) Big old victorian houses! Convenient Bus transit to Alewife Red Line Station. - (And Alewife Red Line Parking Garage nearby)
Also convenient to Route 2 to get out to 128....(there's back roads you can cut through through medford to Somerville into the city, and/or to 93...- (You can be in the city in less than 15 minutes by car)

There is a great bike path in Arlington to run/walk your dog on, Spy Pond Field, The Mystic Lakes ....Menotmy Rocks park, and Some other parks including the one in the heights with the view of Boston. Lots of Dog owners in Arlington, good schools, lots of liberal people. I think you'd like living in Arlington in the suburban feel yet real close to the city as well!

Also the Bike path - through town goes 10 miles each way through lexington to Bedford and hooks up with other paths...

and the other direction goes to somerville, Davis Square (Tufts University area.) and you can connect with Somerville paths and Go into Cambridge from there.

Eventually this bike path will be connected with all the other paths in the area.

Also in Arlington you are close to Winchester and Woburn which has Horn Pond (a great spot for dog walking)(Anywhere iN Winchester is great for dog walking, esp the town common where a lot of dog owners congregate in the spring-warmer weather months...and mill pond area.) (as well as the Middlesex Fells. Sheepsfold in medford is popular in the fells as well...

A few other local area dog areas are Wakefield (with breakheart reservation (they have a place called Bark place) an off leash dog area park. - and Also Lake Quannapowitt (Lake Q) is a popular dog spot too.
Wakefield would be another town to look into.
has commuter rail into boston and bus to Oak Grove (orange line)

Winchester Might Be another area for you we have a great Democratic party in town organization and heavy volunteerism in town environmental orgs and a great community tv station (WINCAM)
We have quite a number of mixture of liberals and conservatves so election time can get quite interesting. Winchester has dog friendly areas and tons of dogs!!!! The fells are in our backyard with tons of trails!!!!!
Dogs love it.

In Medford you have the tufts univ campus which would be good for dog walking, as well as the Mystic River bank trails.

ARLINGTON PET SERVICES NEARBY

Nearby Arlington would be several local pet services

LAUNDROMUTT - in Cambridge
Laundromutt - Cambridge, MA
Laundromutt Dog Wash, Cambridge MA
A Self service dog wash and more......

THE BOSTON DOG
Somerville
Boston Dog - A unique general store, bakery and grooming salon for your pet

PetEdge
5 star rating
based on 6 reviews
Rating Details »

Category: Pet Stores [Edit]
483 Wildwood Avenue
Woburn, MA 01801
(800) 738-3343
PetEdge.com Wholesale prices on exclusive dog grooming and pet supplies

Porter Square Veterinarian
4 star rating
based on 14 reviews
Rating Details »

Category: Veterinarians [Edit]
Neighborhood: Davis Square
360 Summer St
Somerville, MA 02143
(617) 628-5588

Picture Perfect Pets
4.5 star rating
based on 3 reviews

Category: Pet Services [Edit]
Neighborhood: Arlington Center
11A Medford St
Arlington, MA 02474
(617) 966-4240
Boston Area Puppy Dog Training | Pet Portraits | APDT Trainer | Picture Perfect Pets
(obedience training, etc.)

Pet Supplies Plus
4.5 star rating
based on 3 reviews

Categories: [Add]
630 Fellsway
Medford, MA 02155
(781) 395-0009

Raining Cats & Dogs
4 star rating
based on 5 reviews
Rating Details »

Neighborhood: Huron Village
368A Huron Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 354-9003
Raining Cats & Dogs : Cambridge MA
Doggy Day care

Animal Spirit
4 star rating
based on 15 reviews
Rating Details »

Categories: Pet Groomers, Pet Stores [Edit]
Neighborhood: North Cambridge
2348 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02140
(617) 876-9696
animal-spirit.com/

Pet Spa
4.5 star rating
based on 3 reviews

669 Somerville Ave
Somerville, MA 02143
(617) 666-7387
business image
Add Photos

* Hours:
Mon, Fri 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Tue-Thu 7:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.

Jeana's Dirty Dog Salon
4 star rating
based on 7 reviews
Rating Details »
Home
298 Concord Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 868-5377

Pet Supply Outlet Store
4 star rating
based on 12 reviews
Rating Details »

211 Alewife Brook Pkwy
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 576-7388

Happy Tails Pet Services
4 star rating
based on 1 review

Medford, MA 02155
(781) 396-4348

DHARMA DOG WASH AND PET GROCERY
WOBURN MA CAMBRIDGE ST.
Dharma Dog: Pet Grocery and Dog Wash

YANKEE CLIPPERS
MOBILE DOG WASH AND GROOM SERVICE
Yankee Clippers Mobile Dog Wash and Groom

MENOTOMY ROCKS PARK AND DOG WALKING PARK *(ARLINGTON)
Menotomy Rocks Park Arlington | Yelp
Welcome to Friends of Menotomy Rocks Park

Nunziato Field Dog Park
4.5 star rating
based on 2 reviews

Categories: Pets, Parks [Edit]
Putnam & Summer St
Somerville, MA 02143
somdog.org
business image
Add Photos

First to Review
Photo of Devon W.
Devon W.

Edit Business Info Link to This Page
Print version Send to Friend bookmark send2phone Write A Review

Search Reviews
2 Reviews for Nunziato Field Dog Park

Devon W.

Somerville, MA
5 star rating
07/20/2007

This is a very nice off-lease dog park for the local dogs of Somerville. It's good because it's a good place for the dogs to socialize, which I am trying to get Ruby to do since she isn't in her old dog gang anymore. There was a very nice array of dogs there, and all the owners seemed very friendly. I put a link above that lists lots of dog-related information for Somerville dog owners.

Kate W.

Somerville, MA
4 star rating
01/25/2008

Lucy the dog luvvvvs this place and so does her mom!!!
Well, it's the best I can get in Somerville, at least. Would be nice if it was the WHOLE field and not just the corner of it.
But everyone knows everyone and it's a very safe place to take your dog and meet others.
Would like to see grass on it again though...

Gold Star Mothers Park
4 star rating
based on 2 reviews

Category: Parks [Edit]
Neighborhood: East Cambridge
Gore St at 6th St
Cambridge, MA 02238
http://www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/cdd/cp/parks/osmap.pdf (broken link)

Every night during the summer I curse and curse, because the young kids play basketball into the wee hours of the morning. I can here the ball hit the pavement with each bounce. This park is basically in my back yard. OK I don't have a backyard, but in back of the building I live in. How's that?

They just re-did the park a year ago. They put in new tables with check and chess boards on top, new playground, new hoops and new landscaping. They even set up dog bag dispenser at each opening in the park.

I bring my dog here everyday. Between 5-6 and there are about 20 dog owners and they let their dogs run around off leash. All the dogs get along, but beware. I have seen people blacklisted from the park because their dog got a bit rambunctious. Scary stuff LOL.

The ONLY problem, I have with this park is the homeless people and the rehab/druggies in the summer. They come here with a blanket, radio and cooler and basically sit ALL day on the lawn. They will not bother you and I have always felt safe here but c'mon. ALL DAY?

The other downside. Those who do not pick up after their dog. It boggles my mind since there are about five dispensers with free dog bags. Anyway, come here after work or during the weekends and you will bound to run into another dog owner-most are friendly...........same with the owners.

Dachary C.

Cambridge, MA
4 star rating
07/17/2007

I never realized how important parks could be for me until I became a dog owner in the city. I've suddenly started paying a lot of attention to these precious and far-too-few commodities.

This park, located on Gore Street between 5th and 6th Streets, adjacent to the Twin City Plaza, has a surprising amount to offer. They have a little league field, complete with small sets of bleachers, which is in use 2-3 times per week during the summer. There is a fairly large, separately fenced children's play area, including water features - especially popular on these hot summer days. There are a couple of basketball courts tucked away in the farthest corner of the park, near the McGrath Highway. There are a fair number of benches scattered throughout the park, and Mutt Mitt dispensers by all the entrances for doggy waste removal. The park features a concrete path around the perimeter, popular among joggers and bikers.

Technically, this is a leash-required park. However, there are a lot of 'regular' dogs who go there every day, and are often off-leash under voice command of their owners. The animal control commission sometimes does issue tickets, but will usually start with a warning. There is a fairly tight-nit community of regular dogs and dog owners, all friendly, and welcoming of newcomers. It's a great place to take a dog if you don't know many places to go in the city.

It's also a great park to bring a blanket and read a book, or have a picnic. It's a very popular summer destination, although it's never overcrowded (except then there's a baseball game going on and they take the entire field).

Alcohol is not permitted in this park, and at the request of local residents, there is an increasing number of police patrols here. If you're looking for a place to drink, best to do it elsewhere.

This park is a little oasis amongst the concrete jungle of city life. Surprisingly peaceful, and a good way to get out in the sun without having to go too far.

Fresh Pond
4.5 star rating
based on 11 reviews
Rating Details »

200 Fresh Pond Pkwy
Cambridge, MA 02238

Polka Dog Bakery
4.5 star rating
based on 38 reviews
Rating Details »

Categories: Bakeries, Pet Stores [Edit]
Neighborhood: South End
256 Shawmut Avenue
(between Bradford St & Hanson St)
Boston, MA 02118
(617) 338-5155
::: polkadog :::

Great place to find anything for your dog....food, treats, leashes.....even outfits. If you decide to bring your dog with you for a visit, there is a nice dog park down the street called Peters PArk.

Danehy Park
4.5 star rating
based on 2 reviews

99 Sherman St
Cambridge, MA 02238

Cambridge Common - Park
4 star rating
based on 4 reviews

Neighborhood: Harvard Square
Garden St and Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138

Four Preppy Paws
4 star rating
based on 3 reviews

Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
103 Charles St
(between Pinckney St & Revere St)
Boston, MA 02114
(617) 723-0112
Preppy dog collar, martingale collars, designer dog leash, designer dog collars

The Pet Shop Girls
5 star rating
based on 4 reviews

400 Tremont St
(between Appleton St & Arlington St)
Boston, MA 02116
(617) 357-7387
Untitled-2

Crate-Escape
4.5 star rating
based on 3 reviews

20 Flanders Road
Belmont, MA 02478
(617) 489-9003
Crate-Escape > Welcome!

LOVE taking my dog here. He has so many dogs to play with and the staff is great, the place is clean! My only regret is that they are super expensive for everyday and that they are not open past 6:30pm..... who works only 9-5 these days!?!? I hate this but we may have to seek an alternative place because neither my fiance nor I can ever get there by 6:30pm and I can't afford drop off fees all the time.

Honestly if they were open till 8pm and I payed a little less.... I'd send my dog there every day of the week. He's so happy to go and I love seeing him come home exhausted knowing that he's had so much fun.

All in all if you can afford to pay the fees and they're local for you AND you work 9-5 then you've found doggie daycare heaven!

My husband and I are very grateful to have Crate Escape in the neighborhood. We take our beagle puppy there at least once a week for a day off for us and a day of non-stop play for him.

The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, and we feel confident leaving our dog with them. It's also very clean. And, unlike other doggy daycares I've heard of, there's never a feeling that the staff is overwhelmed by having too many dogs to care for.

They also have a selection of treats and quality dog foods.

Beaver Brook Reservation
5 star rating
based on 1 review

Categories: Landmarks & Historical Buildings, Parks [Edit]
66 Mill St
Waltham, MA 02478
(617) 484-6357
Nice walking trails, beautiful woods, and even a kiddie sprinkler area for the little ones to cool off during the summer.... But best of all? A DOG PARK!

This park has a huge open field where all the poochies come to play, and there's a wonderful walking trail that circles the field and continues off into the woods. Today we went, and our dog was greeted by not one, but four other bichons. Hubby and I had a blast talking with the other owners and watching our little fluff-puff frolic with his brethren. Big dogs, little dogs, white dogs, black dogs, they all got along. Not once have we ever encountered an ill-tempered pooch. Ill-tempered people either. Also there's a sign that says not to take you dog off the leash, but no one cares. If your dog is well behaved, go here for off leash roaming. If your dog needs an attitude check, leave him at home and come watch my dog have fun.

Go Play!
5 star rating
based on 2 reviews

Neighborhood: Arlington Center
1046 Massachusetts Ave
Arlington, MA 02476
(781) 325-6088
Go Play!
Go play's Doggie Day Care has been taking care of my puppy since pretty much they day we got her. Jen and Jen the owners are friendly, personable and obviously love the dogs that they care for.

The space is not huge, but definitely big enough! They take the dogs out regularly for walks and to the park down the street. Kallie (our puggle) loves going there and playing with her puppy and dog friends. Jen and Jen didn't mind that she was not fully house trained when we first started bringing her and they have also pointed out a couple health issues they noticed during the day that we were then able to clear up with the vet. Their rates are very reasonable and they also offer a pick up/drop off service that I would totally use if I ever got in a pinch and needed them to come by my work.

The store front also has some retail product... leashes, food, toys - which is convenient, when picking up your dog. I know they also do grooming as well as dog walks, pet sitting and Training! I haven't used these services but if I lived closer I would.

I would recommend Go Play to anyone looking for a reliable, loving doggie day care environment.

I brought my norwich terrier to Go Play to be groomed and they did a fantastic job! He had only been hand stripped in the past (very expensive and time-consuming process used for show dogs. I realized after a few years of owning Gus there was really no need to put him through that.) The groomer at Go Play made his coat look so soft and downy and worked really fast. He was done in less than 2 hours! Cost was really reasonable too. They are a great little shop and they clearly love and know how to groom doggies.

'sPoochies Spa and Boutique
5 star rating
based on 1 review

400 Tremont St
Boston, MA 02216
(617) 357-7387
Spoochies Spa & Boutique
This is the only place that we can take Oliver to get groomed...he literally poopies in his pants and begins to shake at every other groomer....but not here....
Which of course makes me feel super safe and at ease when leaving my precious pup here.....they take great care of Ollie and he leaves looking like the shining little prince that he is....

Part of the whole Doggie Day family, 'sPoochies is a spa for dogs but also a mecca for doggie clothing, beds, bowls, pet accessories and a zillion other super cool and creative pampered pet goodies.

The owners and staff are fantastic and are truly committed to their work --both professional and charity work.

Each year they throw Diva's Unleashed to benefit the MSPCA---if you are a dog lover, it is an event not to be missed!!!!

I love this place!!!

Cushing Square Vet Clinic
4.5 star rating
based on 6 reviews
Rating Details »

Category: Veterinarians [Edit]
133 Trapelo Road
Belmont, MA 02478
(617) 489-4482

I have two dogs and both actually like going to this office. I have NEVER had a bad experience here and the staff is super friendly. A couple of years ago when i was getting my dog fixed they (in my opinion) went above and beyond in terms of the affection and attention they gave my dog. I remember arriving that night to pick him up and they had him wrapped up in a towel like a baby and the whole office was wooing him. It really meant a lot to know that he wasn't just thrown in a cage to heal. I've since moved all the way to Stoneham, and I still go to this office because I've found the place i want to treat my pups for the long term!

You can't imagine a better animal clinic than this! I had a very old and sick cat my husband and I brought there for everything! They all treated her like she was their baby! I also helped out in the office for a brief time and I can honestley tell you behind the scenes there are sinere, smart and loving people who work there. I also worked at another animal hospital and still used to refer poeple there!! Bad work ethic, I know but I had more faith for Cushing Square then the clinic I was working for!! Their prices are reasonable and they don't use "scare tactics" to get you to spend your money. I HIGHLY reccommend this practice!

Based on these reviews, we took our two cats here for their annual check-up. All the staff were so friendly and interested. There was no waiting when we got there (maybe 'cause it was the first appointment of the day), and Dr Kay was so sweet. The price was what you'd expect for Belmont area. I would definitely recommend this clinic to others!

Pet Spa
4.5 star rating
based on 3 reviews

669 Somerville Ave
Somerville, MA 02143
(617) 666-7387

love this place!!
The prices are a little bit on the high side but they always do a great job on my dogs (2 Yorkie) -- the best hair cuts they have ever gotten. I like that they do not keep the dogs in kennels (like PetCo or PetSmart)when they aren't being groomed. The dogs are allowed to socialize and play with the other waiting dogs.

The groomers are very nice as well. There was one time when I only had the one Yorkie and I had to come pick him up late in the day. All of the other dogs had been picked up already so instead of keeping my dog in the other room by himself Alison, the groomer, brought him out front with her and played with him until I came to pick him up. I thought that that was wonderful.

had a great experience taking our two cats to be groomed at Pet Spa. The groomer, Allison, was courteous, friendly and professional, and took the time to talk to me about what each cat needed before I dropped them off. One of the cats had some moderate matting, but she was able to get the mats out without clipping them off. The rate of $65 per cat for both grooming and bathing was actually less than I paid at another, inferior grooming shop.

I recently brought my long-haired cat to the Pet Spa for grooming. The space is on the small side, but bright and friendly, and the staff is very nice. The groomer did a great job on my kitty, who is not a fan of being brushed or having her nails clipped. I would give this place 5 stars, but I thought $65 for a small cat was a little steep when other places seem to be charging closer to $50. On the up side, I was able to get an appointment immediately. Other places I called couldn't get to my cat for at least a week.

While I was there I saw about a dozen dogs either waiting to be groomed or to be picked up -- the dogs were allowed to socialize and play in a decent sized room, rather than sit in kennels, which I thought was nice. There were several kennels along the wall though, so I'd imagine you can request that your dog is kept in one if you prefer.

Happy Dog
5 star rating
based on 1 review

Category: Pets [Edit]
32 Francis St
Belmont, MA 02478
(617) 448-2310

We've been using Happy Dog to take care of our kitties when we go out of town since before it was owned by Mike, and was owned by Amy, who had burned out of being a lawyer. Mike is great, and has been very accomodating, even when we moved out across town.

Horn Pond
5 star rating
based on 1 review

Lake Street and Arlington Road
Woburn, MA 02228
http://www.woburnmaps.com/hornpond/HORNPOND.HTM

Horn Pond is an awesome area to visit for nature, kayaking, canoeing, fishing, sunset watching, birdwatching, dog walking, a place to take the kids, hill climbing or just relaxing. There is a large network of walking trails through varying landscape. there is also a designated walking route around the pond. you can climb up the mountain for a great view of Winchester and Woburn. It is a great place to take the kids to see the swans and the geese. It is a great place nestled right off route 38 in the heart of Woburn near the Winchester Line. it is accessible by Arlington Rd/Lake St in Woburn and is accessible by the route 134 bus line in Woburn. There is a parking lot open till sunset on site. During seasonal spring, summer, fall periods, a vendor will usually be there selling sausages, and cold drinks. It is a great place for local outdoor activity not very far from Boston. Many joggers, bikers, boaters, and walkers can be seen. It is a great place to get away from it all, yet not have to go very far from home. it is also a great place to meet your neighbors in a friendly setting. Kids love the pond!

Mystic Lakes - Sandy Beach
5 star rating
based on 1 review

Mystic Valley Parkway
Winchester, MA 01890
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/metrob...maps/mystl.gif

Mystic Lakes, situated on the corners of Arlington, Winchester, and Medford, MA is a series of three small lakes. It is great urban paddling complete with swans, herons, and ducks and surrounded by beautiful homes, wooded shores and two boat clubs. It is a great place for a quick work out, lazy paddling, fishing and has a swimming beach at one end. It can be full of racing sailboats (including the Tufts Team) or a class on kayaking run by REI. There is a great put in near the Tufts Boat Club.

Today the Mystic Lakes are popular for freshwater swimming at Sandy Beach. Special sailing programs are available at the Tufts University Boathouse. The Upper Mystic Lake is for non-powered boats only. The Lower Mystic Lake is for powerboats with no wake (6 mph speed limit).

The Mystic Lakes are a great place for kayaking, swimming (esp at Sandy beach in Winchester), dog walking, biking, and running/walking.
It is connected to Boston via Mystic valley parkway and the Wedgemere Station (Commuter Rail from north Station).
it is a short walk from Winchester Center as well (about a 10 minute walk)
There is a field near Sandy beach at the parking lot that is perfect for Dogs

Malden Animal Hospital & Kennel
4 star rating
based on 3 reviews

Categories: Veterinarians, Pet Services [Edit]
231 Salem Street
Malden, MA 02148
(781) 322-8795

The Malden Animal Hospital is staffed with friendly and caring people. Most of them are pet owners themselves, so there's that innate sympathy you get when you bring your sick or particularly stubborn (in my case) pet to see them. My cats are treated kindly here and have been since they were kittens. I really like Dr. Blazonis - she's really sweet and just knows how to handle your pet. Funny story, I remember my cat whacking the snot out of one of the doctor's there who tried to give him a shot. Alibi slapped the glasses off his face. The doc sucked it up, however, and continued to perform as professionally as possible. That takes chutzpah.

Dr. Parisi is awesome! He's been treating my cat for IBD and she is doing great. We also bring our dog here, and in fact, have been bringing our pets here for about 15 years.

MINUTEMAN BIKEWAY
ARLINGTON

Minuteman Bikeway
4.5 star rating
based on 19 reviews
Rating Details »

110 South Rd
Bedford, MA 01730

The Minuteman Bike trail is a great place to walk, rollerblade, walk your dog, prepare for the Boston marathon, take a leisurely jog or do your exercise. it is a great place for singles to meet and for walking clubs to start up. The bike way stretches for 10 miles from Alewife T station through arlington, Arlington Heights, Lexington and ends in Bedford. It pases through the town centers offering places to stop for lunch , drinks, refreshments, etc. It also passes through the historical area of Lexington and is a short ride or walk from Concord as well and Walden Pond/The Old North Bridge. Bus Lines from the MBTA go up Mass ave to Lexington and also Arlington so you can take the bus home if need be. Don't forget to stop into the Bike Depot in Arlington if you need to get your bike fied or get a drink or something. Bike maps also available. The bike trail actually begins in Somerville near Davis Square but most consider it to begin at Alewife "T" station. A trail continues from Bedford up to South Billerica and a dirt path to Concord.If you want a longer ride add on the South Billerica portion or do a loop around walden pond and back along the Minuteman Park Trail and Lincoln Ave in Lexington. Enjoy a great ride on the Minuteman Trail, where recreation and History come together.

Hope this helps your decision

Def. Look into Winchester, Arlington, and Wakefield.

jeff
Winchester, MA

Hope some of this helps you decide

Old 02-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Usually, people by college age and twenties get out of places like Wakefield, Winchester and Arlington Heights. Those are the places where your parents and grandparents buy houses and live forever. Boring.

The Arlington/Cambridge line is about as far out as I would go if I was young and wanted a liberal, 420 friendly, happening social scene with independent theater or whatever.

I went to Menotomy Park, Horn Pond and all those places as an 8 year old with my dad. By age 15 I had a rock band and was hanging out in Harvard Square.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:59 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,159 times
Be aware, it is quite difficult to find rentals in the Boston area that allow dogs, especially large dogs. You should plan a longer apartment search, although you might get lucky.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
Usually, people by college age and twenties get out of places like Wakefield, Winchester and Arlington Heights. Those are the places where your parents and grandparents buy houses and live forever. Boring.

The Arlington/Cambridge line is about as far out as I would go if I was young and wanted a liberal, 420 friendly, happening social scene with independent theater or whatever.

I went to Menotomy Park, Horn Pond and all those places as an 8 year old with my dad. By age 15 I had a rock band and was hanging out in Harvard Square.
I basically agree though I'm getting to a point in life where once again Menotomy Park's appeal is greater than that of nightlife. In a pinch I would extend the parameters to include the part of Arlington bounded by the Cambridge line, Mass Av, Lake Street, and the bikepath. It's walkable to Alewife T and more Cambridge people are moving in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston