Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The only time BC seems to get press for Basketball is its post-mortem.
The Beanpot and HEA playoffs often are the front page of the sports section in the Herald and Globe, nothing in New England college basketball comes close.

Its really undeniable that Hockey is the more popular spectator sport in the Boston area. Even in the teams current state, the Bruins have higher TV/radio ratings than the Celtics. Whenever the Bruins are better its not even that close.
College hockey may generally be more popular than college basketball, but 1990's Marcus Camby UMass making the final 4 was the most college sports mania (in the Boston area) I've seen in my lifetime, I lived in the suburbs at the time but the Globe and Herald covered every UMass game. A lot of kids in my town had the UMass 90's Starter jackets. I can't compare to Flutie I wasn't around yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 04:21 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
College hockey may generally be more popular than college basketball, but 1990's Marcus Camby UMass making the final 4 was the most college sports mania (in the Boston area) I've seen in my lifetime, I lived in the suburbs at the time but the Globe and Herald covered every UMass game. A lot of kids in my town had the UMass 90's Starter jackets. I can't compare to Flutie I wasn't around yet.
I would bet that was more intense than Flutie mania, UMass is more popular than BC in general.

One thing that's cool about Hockey east is it's kinda a family usually people know people at most of the other schools (I know people who went to 10/11 HEA schools, sorry PC) which means it's really a topic of conversation amoung students and alum of all the schools because they actually interact with each other.

With Northeastern, UMass-Amherst and BC in all other sports their closest conference member is 100s of miles away and nobody had heard of St Bonnie's or James Madison before.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 PM

126 posts, read 123,638 times
Quote:
The only time BC seems to get press for Basketball is its post-mortem.
The Beanpot and HEA playoffs often are the front page of the sports section in the Herald and Globe, nothing in New England college basketball comes close.

Its really undeniable that Hockey is the more popular spectator sport in the Boston area. Even in the teams current state, the Bruins have higher TV/radio ratings than the Celtics. Whenever the Bruins are better its not even that close.
When Duke or Carolina are in town, the game is covered, period, even with the state of BC's basketball program. Don't forget, the last 8-10 years are not the norm, BC has had very competitive basketball teams consistently since the 60's. When the program is turned around, the coverage will be good as it used to be.. I'm concerned the popularity of the Beanpot is fading though, sadly.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 PM

126 posts, read 123,638 times
Quote:
I would bet that was more intense than Flutie mania, UMass is more popular than BC in general. .
What? No one east of Worcester gives a hoot about UMass. Their FF run? of course that was popular but other than that, they are totally MIA.................. Are you a Mass native?

Old 09-07-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
What? No one east of Worcester gives a hoot about UMass. Their FF run? of course that was popular but other than that, they are totally MIA.................. Are you a Mass native?
Yes I am, Boston College is seen as sort of elitist so in general people outside of a slice of metrowest prefer UMass to BC if they care about college sports at all. Especially with younger generations as Catholic indentity means less.
If UML finds a way to field a competitive Basketball program (on par with Amherst) BCs never coming back.
Also UMass is reasonablely popular out west which is more than BC can say anywhere.

Last edited by btownboss4; 09-07-2017 at 04:16 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
When Duke or Carolina are in town, the game is covered, period, even with the state of BC's basketball program. Don't forget, the last 8-10 years are not the norm, BC has had very competitive basketball teams consistently since the 60's. When the program is turned around, the coverage will be good as it used to be.. I'm concerned the popularity of the Beanpot is fading though, sadly.
You know they tried a Men's Basketball bean pot as well in the 50s when the Hockey one started and it lasted like 3 years and flopped? Hockey being more popular than Basketball isn't a new thing here.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:07 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
I dont understand why someone would root for a college they didn't go to.

At least with Umass my tax $$ pays for them.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:20 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
A Bostonian and New Englander who iis not sports obsessed could still name or recognize one or more Celtics players and their coach and general manager. Bruins? None. Faceless franchise, and I follow NHL, not NBA..

No comparison.

The Globe will have columnists like Gasper and Shaunessy covering most/all home games, besides the main reporter. Not often do those guys write a Bruins article. They'll be at the Celtics opener in Cleverland; a Bruins road opener would not attract those columnists.

And the Bruins may lose their sellout streak early in the season? I hope not, but wouldn't be surprised.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
A Bostonian and New Englander who iis not sports obsessed could still name or recognize one or more Celtics players and their coach and general manager. Bruins? None. Faceless franchise, and I follow NHL, not NBA..

No comparison.

The Globe will have columnists like Gasper and Shaunessy covering most/all home games, besides the main reporter. Not often do those guys write a Bruins article. They'll be at the Celtics opener in Cleverland; a Bruins road opener would not attract those columnists.

And the Bruins may lose their sellout streak early in the season? I hope not, but wouldn't be surprised.
Hockey players do havestaying power.
Name a Celtic from a non championship team that has had an impact of the sports landscape of Boston not named Reggie Lewis between 1988-2008. For the Bruins you see Bourque, Neeley and Oates Jerseys from the inter cup years.
The Bruins mean more to the city than the Celtics.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Quote:
Hockey players do havestaying power.
Name a Celtic from a non championship team that has had an impact of the sports landscape of Boston not named Reggie Lewis between 1988-2008. For the Bruins you see Bourque, Neeley and Oates Jerseys from the inter cup years.
The Bruins mean more to the city than the Celtics.
Antione Walker was probably more famous than any Bruin in that time frame who is the Bruin Joe Thornton?

I mean Neeley and Bourque would have to be considered the Bird, McHale, Parish era. Then both teams sucked for a while.

Then was Patrice Bergeron more popular than Paul Pierce recently?

Last edited by The_General; 09-18-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston