Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Yet, I keep hearing the Red Sox tv ratings are up this year, and attendance is down a bit but very good, though just one or two sellouts (?), period.
The start of the season has been so cold, this doesn't surprise me. Lots of northern cities have this issue. I personally don't understand why anybody plays north of DC before mid-May.

The Sox are the real deal. I fully expect a hard fought season between them and the Yankees. The AL is really stacked this year. Sox, Yanks, Astros, Mariners, Indians are all quite talented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Resurrecting this thread with the Bruins starting the season tonight against the defending Stanley Cup champions. Will be interesting to see how the Bruins fare vs the Celtics this year, with the Celtics now being the overwhelming favorite to make the championship (and then lose).

Old 10-03-2018, 04:09 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Resurrecting this thread with the Bruins starting the season tonight against the defending Stanley Cup champions. Will be interesting to see how the Bruins fare vs the Celtics this year, with the Celtics now being the overwhelming favorite to make the championship (and then lose).
The first (hopefully) month of Hockey will be completely drown out by the Sox. Who are an undisputed #2 in the city.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:10 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Yet, I keep hearing the Red Sox tv ratings are up this year, and attendance is down a bit but very good, though just one or two sellouts (?), period.
I haven't watched a red sox game in a few years. I'm sorta "meh" on their playoff run this year and have really lost interest in baseball completely the last 3-4 years.

Football, basketball and hockey are still a big part of my viewing however.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I haven't watched a red sox game in a few years. I'm sorta "meh" on their playoff run this year and have really lost interest in baseball completely the last 3-4 years.

Football, basketball and hockey are still a big part of my viewing however.
I think you're not alone here. This is the least amount of excitement I've seen for a team that just had its best season ever. Not sure what 20 years from now looks like for baseball...

Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I think you're not alone here. This is the least amount of excitement I've seen for a team that just had its best season ever. Not sure what 20 years from now looks like for baseball...
The averaged like 98% capacity and had their highest TV ratings since 2013. It was greater than the Celtics and Bruins Combined (6.8vs 6.25). After the Allstar break they averaged over a 7. That includes day game ratings. I’m sure their prime time ratings are even higher. (Same with Celtics and Bruins but there are no weekday day games in NHL or NBA)

Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The averaged like 98% capacity and had their highest TV ratings since 2013. It was greater than the Celtics and Bruins Combined (6.8vs 6.25). After the Allstar break they averaged over a 7. That includes day game ratings. I’m sure their prime time ratings are even higher. (Same with Celtics and Bruins but there are no weekday day games in NHL or NBA)
This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, just FYI. Ratings for a record setting team are lower than for 2013. Completely consistent with what I said, which was: "the least amount of excitement I've seen for a team that just had its best season ever."

Also consider that the Sox not only won a franchise-record 108 games, but also had a triple crown contender, a Cy Young contender, and two MVP contenders. You would think they'd be all time record ratings too. But they were not.

Not to mention, the Fenway atmosphere (admittedly less quantifiable) isn't always great. Lots of rich folks and people on vacation. Place empties out pretty good before the end of most games. This won't be the case in the playoffs, but as someone who has been to countless Sox games over the last 5 years, this is my perception.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, just FYI. Ratings for a record setting team are lower than for 2013. Completely consistent with what I said, which was: "the least amount of excitement I've seen for a team that just had its best season ever."

Also consider that the Sox not only won a franchise-record 108 games, but also had a triple crown contender, a Cy Young contender, and two MVP contenders. You would think they'd be all time record ratings too. But they were not.

Not to mention, the Fenway atmosphere (admittedly less quantifiable) isn't always great. Lots of rich folks and people on vacation. Place empties out pretty good before the end of most games. This won't be the case in the playoffs, but as someone who has been to countless Sox games over the last 5 years, this is my perception.
I mean going into the season until probably mid-june we were expecting a wildcard team. The ratings picked up as the season went on.

And even today I think there is little faith in the team. I think if you polled people like 65% would say they aren’t getting out of the ALDS. The beat up on the Os, Jays but have a losing record against every AL Playoff team except the Yankees and have a really bad bullpen. They have the same hole has last year and the year before that.

Also 2013 team being the 2013 team has a lot to do with it. Mookie and JD haven’t adhered themselves into the hearts of Bostonians like Ortiz or Pedoria did. And the Bombing was very closely tied to the Sox season because the Sox are tied to the Marathon.

And even if it isn’t the most hype they’ve ever gotten it’s still far and away #2 in the city and it’s not remotely close. The Sox are probably closer to 1 than 3.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Bottom of line up sucks. Relief sucks. Top two starters hurt or head cases.

Hard to get behind a team that only won so much because most teams were freaking horrible.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

And even if it isn’t the most hype they’ve ever gotten it’s still far and away #2 in the city and it’s not remotely close. The Sox are probably closer to 1 than 3.
Again, I'm not arguing this. I'm just saying that baseball is undoubtedly in decline. If the Red Sox won 108 games in the naughties or the 90s, it would have been obvious to everyone how the team was doing, just walking around outside. One doesn't get that sense today.

I'm a huge baseball fan, former Sox employee. I'm not gloating. I'm just saying it's reality. We will see who number 2 is in 20-30 years.

IMO I think soccer, unless they make stupid moves, has potential because it is non-stop play, just 20 minutes of a break in the middle. Football and baseball on TV is getting tiresome to me. Hockey should consider getting rid of commercials during periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston