Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:39 AM

550 posts, read 679,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The funny thing is most of the people preaching diversity would never put themselves or their kids into a truly diverse situation.
The problem with the original post is that he said he is looking for mostly white zip codes. Instead of saying looking for a low crime rate town with good schools. It's common sense that if minorities are buying in towns that have low crime rates and good schools than they obviously have the money to live there. Low income people are not buying homes in expensive areas they tend to stay in lower income areas. A few post earlier I wrote about an agent who was selling her home and she was being pressured by her neighbors to not sell to minorities. What difference does it make what skin color they are if they have the $$$ to afford to live in a nice town

Old 05-13-2016, 12:28 PM

341 posts, read 302,204 times
I think the intent of the OP was to do a bit of trolling....sure got a lot of bites.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:44 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,801,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
I think the intent of the OP was to do a bit of trolling....sure got a lot of bites.
I think you're right. The OP lives in Europe and posted this recently over there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
That's just a perfect description of the United States of Arsholes aka USA.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:14 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,564,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...ds-boston.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...-affluent.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...dle-class.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...-american.html

^Should we flip out about these threads too, or can we just let people make their own decisions based on their own criteria? I personally feel that if someone came to Boston and said "I want to live in an area with no white people or Slavs or anything similar", I would have no problem directing them to a different neighborhood from me.
//www.city-data.com/forum/44041672-post74.html

i understand your premise but i disagree; those are pretty hard to find in the u.s.a. (and even harder to find in new england). the op can throw a dart at a map and have a 95 % chance of hitting a zip code with at least 10 % white people.

i am not offended by op but it is a weird thing to specifically ask for ?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,425,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/44041672-post74.html

i understand your premise but i disagree; those are pretty hard to find in the u.s.a. (and even harder to find in new england). the op can throw a dart at a map and have a 95 % chance of hitting a zip code with at least 10 % white people.

i am not offended by op but it is a weird thing to specifically ask for ?
I agree, it's a strange request and I do think it's intentional trolling. Although the reason for the trolling is because OP knew that the sensitive ones would flip out. This was absolutely correct. Still, if people really believed in freedom of association, this thread would have probably just been ignored and would have been a non-issue. My opinion is that people can self-segregate if they want. I might not think that's wise or ethical or whatever, but what's the solution? Force them to live with people they don't want to live with? Choosing to live near white people doesn't hurt anybody. Maybe it's not the most modern mindset, but it is certainly not hurting anyone.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,207,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...-affluent.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...dle-class.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...-american.html

^Should we flip out about these threads too, or can we just let people make their own decisions based on their own criteria? I personally feel that if someone came to Boston and said "I want to live in an area with no white people or Slavs or anything similar", I would have no problem directing them to a different neighborhood from me.
this

And I know there have been similar threads in the Denver forum, off the top of my head there have been ones in the past year by someone wanting to live in a neighborhood with a lot of Indian people, and there multiple questions about gay friendly neighborhoods.

If it is ok to ask about living where minority neighborhoods are, then it should be ok to ask about white neighborhoods.

But it would have been smarter for the OP to just look it up 2010 Census Interactive Population Map

Old 05-13-2016, 03:03 PM

23,488 posts, read 18,630,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
A little something you don't know about me. I was born and raised in the city of Boston and attended and graduated from BPS. I'm not white. My neighbors and this town in general have been very welcoming to me and my husband and daughter. I have definitely experienced racism but my husband has experienced it more.
So how can you seriously understand what kind of racism whites do and don't experience?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,716,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The funny thing is most of the people preaching diversity would never put themselves or their kids into a truly diverse situation.
There are plenty of people for whom this is true, but I actually know quite a few people who moved to more diverse areas for their kids. I know of one family who just moved from Needham to Randolph, because they were disappointed with the lack of diversity in Needham. (Although I know Needham is trying to address that issue.)

Old 05-13-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So how can you seriously understand what kind of racism whites do and don't experience?
I'm pretty sure whites don't get followed in a store because of the color of their skin. I am also sure they don't get pulled over for just looking suspicious. Racism still exist in this country and it's usually minorities who experience it the most.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
There are plenty of people for whom this is true, but I actually know quite a few people who moved to more diverse areas for their kids. I know of one family who just moved from Needham to Randolph, because they were disappointed with the lack of diversity in Needham. (Although I know Needham is trying to address that issue.)
They took their children out of Needham schools to go to Randolph?? They should of researched Needham in advance. I live in a mostly caucasian town and I'm not white. I knew that prior to moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston