U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 9,199 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am going to relocate to Boston as I got a job offer from UMass Boston. I would like to rent first and am looking at Quincy area (prefer to be close to the stations (north quincy, wollaston or quincy center). However, if it's not safe to live close to stations, I'm ok to take 10 min walk everyday to the station. I'd like to rent a 3bed/1.5 bath townhome or apt around $2.2k per month (three of us with 2.5 yr kid). I will probably take the T to Umass boston, but am also wondering what the commute time approximately will be by car? What about during rush hours? Another question regarding safety, I heard that it's relatively not very safe close to quincy center. is that true?

New to Boston so any help or relatively safe location suggestions near UMass would be great. My ideal location would have a quiet and safe neighborhood, offstreet parking (garage would be a bonus), 10 min walk to grocery shops and park, and about 30 to 40 mins from work at rush hr.

Thank you very much!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,298,963 times
The area near North Quincy T Station is fine as far as safety is concerned. My sister has lived about a quarter mile away from the station for 6 years and has never had any issues. The area also has a big Stop & Shop and a Hannaford's for grocery shopping.

Driving from that area to UMass during rush hour can be a bit of a pain. 93 (the main highway into Boston from the south) gets jammed up in the morning during rush hour and that can take what should be a roughly 10 minutes drive and turn it into a 30 minute drive.

North Quincy really is a great area. You have Wollaston Beach to walk/run/bike on. Direct access into the city on the red line. 93 is a very short drive away and unless there's traffic, you can drive into downtown Boston in under 20 minutes. If you like Asian food there are several different options to show from.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 741,246 times
Savin Hill over the bridge area would be ideal for you since it's litetally next door to UMass, though I don't know if you'll be able to find a 3 bed/1.5 bath for $2200/month.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:41 AM

343 posts, read 281,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The area near North Quincy T Station is fine as far as safety is concerned. My sister has lived about a quarter mile away from the station for 6 years and has never had any issues. The area also has a big Stop & Shop and a Hannaford's for grocery shopping.

Driving from that area to UMass during rush hour can be a bit of a pain. 93 (the main highway into Boston from the south) gets jammed up in the morning during rush hour and that can take what should be a roughly 10 minutes drive and turn it into a 30 minute drive.

North Quincy really is a great area. You have Wollaston Beach to walk/run/bike on. Direct access into the city on the red line. 93 is a very short drive away and unless there's traffic, you can drive into downtown Boston in under 20 minutes. If you like Asian food there are several different options to show from.
You can take the Neponset Bridge coming back at least. In the morning the bridge is worse than the expressway.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 AM

343 posts, read 281,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Savin Hill over the bridge area would be ideal for you since it's litetally next door to UMass, though I don't know if you'll be able to find a 3 bed/1.5 bath for $2200/month.
2200 will be tough in most of the surrounding towns for 3/1.5. I'd say that will likely be the cheapest they will be able to get.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 9,199 times
Thank you very much for the info!!! I'm considering north quincy too. What about quincy center area? is it as safe as, or less safe than north quincy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Old 05-26-2016, 03:00 AM

5,405 posts, read 4,288,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiuluowang View Post
Thank you very much for the info!!! I'm considering north quincy too. What about quincy center area? is it as safe as, or less safe than north quincy?
Quincy center is safe too, but it has less foot traffic because there's just less to do for now. But with those new condos going up and new restaurants opening, it's just a matter of time.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,287,926 times
Quincy Center seems fine, at least in daylight and likely all night.

It's just there are too many undesirables hanging near the buses as I try to walk to City Hall. It sounds crude, but I find some of them low class.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:40 AM

5,405 posts, read 4,288,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Quincy Center seems fine, at least in daylight and likely all night.

It's just there are too many undesirables hanging near the buses as I try to walk to City Hall. It sounds crude, but I find some of them low class.
Well, you can thank Father Bill's down the street for that. Lots of theft around the center have the criminals giving their address at Father Bill's. I know that there needs to be some support for the unfortunate, but the place has become a real source of support for the bad elements that hang out around the center. Hopefully the new tenants in those nice condo buildings will work with the police to create a positive atmosphere that will squeeze and drive these bad elements out.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:51 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,287,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Well, you can thank Father Bill's down the street for that. Lots of theft around the center have the criminals giving their address at Father Bill's. I know that there needs to be some support for the unfortunate, but the place has become a real source of support for the bad elements that hang out around the center. Hopefully the new tenants in those nice condo buildings will work with the police to create a positive atmosphere that will squeeze and drive these bad elements out.
Interesting.

Well, at least I've never, ever felt threatened at the Quincy Center T whether using the bus or subway...or anywhere on Hancock St.

It's just so many are smoking cigarettes, spitting, cursing, etc. It may not bother others so much, but I admit I'm overly sensitive. I just like people to be well-mannered and non-smoking whatever their socioeconomic status.

I can't see all yuppies wanting to live in those new buildings planned or the ones just opening. .But, they flock to Southie despite traces of what I'm complaining about in parts of Quincy. At least Ten Faxon and Munroe Place are already in the area attracting yuppies.

Otherwise. I generally like Quincy,. I've rented here since 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston