Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:31 PM

81 posts, read 244,608 times

Advertisements

How much would it be to live in Boston as a college student?
Meaning, not a lot of money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
i imagine it would be an amazing time. boston has an enormous college population, so it's got to be great. Kids are resourceful and they manage to get by. I did..

Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 AM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
It's great! However, it's probably more expensive than most other places for higher education. Many students share apartments and so forth to keep down costs.

What specifically are you wondering about?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Well .. I was wondering about...
1) Apartments
2) Transportation
3) Good Jobs for students?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:53 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniLiciousSs View Post
Well .. I was wondering about...
1) Apartments
2) Transportation
3) Good Jobs for students?
(Good) apartments can be tricky to find, but you can probably find a 1-bedroom apartment for less than 1,200. A lot depends on which area you'll be in. Do you know which school(s) you're considering? There are also many students here who share apartments to bring costs down to 700-800/month. Many places include most of the utilities, so try and get a place that does that.

As far as transportation, a typical transportation pass (t-pass) costs $59/month. You can check out the mbta.com website for some more information regarding schedules and costs. If you live further out and decide to take a commuter rail, the cost would increase.

Do you mean jobs while you're in school or for graduates? It seems like there are quite a bit of student jobs while in school since there are so many students in the area, but most of those jobs I can't imagine being very high-paying.

I hope this helps, and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:08 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
The best place to seek jobs is on campus. Off campus places by and large are looking to make a profit and can't bend around a student's schedule (ie if you have one class from 11-12 and then another from 5-7, your whole day is practically gone for most outside employers). On campus tends to pay higher (at least at my school) and the staff are understanding of you needing to work, say, 2 hour shifts some days of the week or needing off for finals and breaks (depending on what job you work). I recommend working as either a receptionist or an office assistant- you get to make tons of contacts with professors that way.

Living wise, it depends. If you go to BU, you could live in Allston for around $600 a month (sharing a house/apartment) and if you go to Northeastern or any of the schools in that area, you could live on Mission Hill/JP for similar costs. If you're in Cambridge, it's generally more expensive though schools like Harvard do have some subsidized apartments.

For transportation, the monthly t pass is $59 a month but completely worth it. Otherwise, it's around $1.75 (with a Charlie card, $2 for a regular pass) for each trip which mounts up pretty fast. You won't need to feel guilty about hopping the T for one or two stops. Also, for most of the year, bikes are a really great way to travel. Once you get past the initial purchase of the bike, it ends up cheaper than a T pass.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:01 PM

[quote=Stockholmaren;3007962
Do you know which school(s) you're considering?

Do you mean jobs while you're in school or for graduates?

I hope this helps, and let us know if you have any additional questions.[/quote]
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that!
It was very helpful.

I am planning on going to either Bently college or Boston college.. and a slight possiblity of Northeastern.

I would work during the school year, however, I plan to focus on my schoolwork..
Do you know of any summer jobs?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:18 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,716 times
Bentley College is in Waltham, which is about 10 miles away from Boston. BC is in Brighton (still part of Boston though) and Northeastern has the most urban campus.

There are tons of jobs available all year long for college students in Boston and in retail, restaurants/bars, healthcare, hotels and on-campus.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Good jobs... what is a good job?... high paying, little work, no responsibilites, surf the net, travels when you want to, with all the perks... I always want to be a boss and tell people what to do... sit back and enjoy my coffee...

Seriously, different people have different view...
There are lots of non-profits... if you're looking for experience, it may be something for you. If you're looking for pay, that is probably not for you.

The other thing about job... what do you offer? What skiills do you have? Why should a company hire you?

According to a survey, most young people just want to be rich and famous. Yet, they have the highest debt. No wonder American idol is so popular... I just want to be on TV... to show everyone how badly I can sing.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 AM

274 posts, read 606,185 times
I go to Northeastern, and with the co-op program you would have the opportunity to make $$ half the year, and go to class for the other half. I just saved enough money from co-op to carry me through the next six months.

As for housing, there are a lot of students in the Mission Hill area. However, the city implemented a "no more than four" law --- aka no more than four undergrad students living in the same rental unit. You can prob still find affordable housing with roommates though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston