Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Citgo sign stay or go?
Stay! It's an important Boston icon! 32 68.09%
Go! It's sitting on valuable land that could be better used 9 19.15%
I really don't care 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 05:12 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
EXACTLY!!!!! Plus the fact he's very open about his hatred for our country! BYE BYE SIGN!
If you're talking about Chavez, he's been dead for three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 09:56 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Why would they get rid of Fenway? it is a cash cow.
People come from all over the country and world to see a game at Fenway Park.
Even in a 45k Stadium there is no way they could make as much money as they do now at Fenway. Ticket Prices would go down, mech. sales, Tour incomes, etc would all go away.
Overall Fenway is 104 years old, and it isn't falling apart, the Trolley Tunnel people take to Fenway is older than Fenway.
Eventually they will have to find a new home. Fenway still has probably another thirty years to go though. At a point it's going to hit diminishing returns for the bigs. I can see the sox still owning it as a field for the community and museum down the road. And still doing tours.

As for other money concerns, it's all about winning. Fenway, for a large part of its history was basically empty day in and day out. If it weren't for the success since 2004 they wouldn't have been selling so much merchandise or tickets.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:18 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Eventually they will have to find a new home. Fenway still has probably another thirty years to go though. At a point it's going to hit diminishing returns for the bigs. I can see the sox still owning it as a field for the community and museum down the road. And still doing tours.

As for other money concerns, it's all about winning. Fenway, for a large part of its history was basically empty day in and day out. If it weren't for the success since 2004 they wouldn't have been selling so much merchandise or tickets.
Thats because in the 70s the place was a 60 year old dump (in a bad area none the less). Now Fenway is nicer than ever, at the area is hip, and it is one of the cities largest tourist attractions.
They will milk Fenway forever, have you seen Yankee Stadium these days? It really isn't an adequate replacement.
I don't get the obsession with new things, most Buildings on Newbury Street are 130 years old, should we get rid of those? Fenway is only 104 years old, in context with the city around it, not especially old.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:12 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Thats because in the 70s the place was a 60 year old dump (in a bad area none the less). Now Fenway is nicer than ever, at the area is hip, and it is one of the cities largest tourist attractions.
They will milk Fenway forever, have you seen Yankee Stadium these days? It really isn't an adequate replacement.
I don't get the obsession with new things, most Buildings on Newbury Street are 130 years old, should we get rid of those? Fenway is only 104 years old, in context with the city around it, not especially old.
Fenway is indeed nicer than ever, but well behind places like Target Field, Camden Yards, Petco Park, Progressive Field, etc. in that category. Having worked there for 2 years (and 2 years at Progressive Field too, prior to moving to Boston), I can absolutely tell you that there are a lot of less than ideal things about Fenway- the worst, absolute worst, amenities for disabled people of anywhere I've ever seen. It's embarrassing really. Also not great from a player's perspective. Fenway easily has the worst locker rooms in the MLB. No real player parking lot. Pretty bad amenities for visiting team. Not hating on the place, as it is unique in baseball and I loved showing people around the park giving them the history of the last 100+ years, but just pointing out its flaws.

I am a big fan of classic architecture and old buildings, especially in Boston. That being said, there are structural issues at work at Fenway too. Old apartment buildings on Newbury Street and a baseball stadium is just not a good comparison here. Completely different uses. Fenway will see 3 million people come through its gates this year. The wear and tear on stadiums is just another level. Yes, like you said, it's nicer than ever, but it will only keep getting more expensive to maintain, not less. All I'm saying is that eventually, even if everyone loves the place, the Red Sox are going to have to find a new spot. And it's not just Fenway, Wrigley too. And I do hate the new Yankee Stadium.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:15 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
I vote to keep it, and I never even watched a game at Fenway. But the sign is entrenched in my memories from early childhood living on Gainsborough Street (when it was just apartments and not condos, and from when fires gutted Morris Gordon's slums on one end of
Symphony Street...right near Symphony Hall). It also reminds me of college days.

The fact that it is a commercial sign like Hollywood's is irrelevant when the cumulative mass memories associate it with other things.

Boston is a multifaceted city and can easily bear several landmarks and symbols, depending on what an individual values about the place. And yes, being born there makes a difference in feelings about keeping the sign.

I always LOVED that the planetarium included the Citgo sign in its horizon profile of the Boston evening skyline. While ridding the city of all-night lighted signs would be a good move environmentally, it is literally a drop in the bucket considering how many homes and businesses keep lights on at night.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Fenway is indeed nicer than ever, but well behind places like Target Field, Camden Yards, Petco Park, Progressive Field, etc. in that category. Having worked there for 2 years (and 2 years at Progressive Field too, prior to moving to Boston), I can absolutely tell you that there are a lot of less than ideal things about Fenway- the worst, absolute worst, amenities for disabled people of anywhere I've ever seen. It's embarrassing really. Also not great from a player's perspective. Fenway easily has the worst locker rooms in the MLB. No real player parking lot. Pretty bad amenities for visiting team. Not hating on the place, as it is unique in baseball and I loved showing people around the park giving them the history of the last 100+ years, but just pointing out its flaws.

I am a big fan of classic architecture and old buildings, especially in Boston. That being said, there are structural issues at work at Fenway too. Old apartment buildings on Newbury Street and a baseball stadium is just not a good comparison here. Completely different uses. Fenway will see 3 million people come through its gates this year. The wear and tear on stadiums is just another level. Yes, like you said, it's nicer than ever, but it will only keep getting more expensive to maintain, not less. All I'm saying is that eventually, even if everyone loves the place, the Red Sox are going to have to find a new spot. And it's not just Fenway, Wrigley too. And I do hate the new Yankee Stadium.
The thing is people forget other than Tiger Stadium and Yankee Stadium, most modern era park replacements have been of truly horrible ballparks, Three River's Stadium RFK stadium and the likes.
They were not knocking down Fenway's and Wrigley's in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: