U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Citgo sign stay or go?
Stay! It's an important Boston icon! 32 68.09%
Go! It's sitting on valuable land that could be better used 9 19.15%
I really don't care 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:37 AM

28,982 posts, read 27,188,415 times

Advertisements

It looks like efforts are well underway to make the Citgo sign a historic landmark. If those efforts fail, however, the sign could theoretically be removed by the building owner (BU apparently leases the air rights to the Federal Health Sign company, and a new owner could refuse to renew the lease of those air rights).

What do you think about the sign? Should it be afforded historic preservation status? Or should it be scrapped so more housing units can be built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 AM

9,237 posts, read 8,249,442 times
It's incredibly tacky. That's the symbol of Boston? A Venezuelan oil subsidiary? That's what millions of people look at and feel all warm and fuzzy and at home inside when they see it? I've read the comments from the thousands of commenters on various Boston social media outlets about the sign. They pretty much all say "YOU CANT TAKE AWAY THE CITGO SIGN BECAUSE RED SOX AND BOSTON!!!!! NEED LANDMARK!!!!!"

New York has the Statue of Liberty. Philadelphia has the Liberty Bell. DC has the White House and a plethora of monuments. But hey, we have a sign representing a collectivist country's nationalized oil industry. AND IT LIGHTS UP AT NIGHT!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 AM

7,870 posts, read 11,863,711 times
I agree with you, bjimmy24. It's time has passed.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:27 PM

2,111 posts, read 5,551,200 times
Agree too. It's just a big old neon sign, what's the big deal. Go to Asia (or google for pics) where Neon signs come in all sizes and varieties if anyone misses a stupid neon sign.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:46 PM

432 posts, read 375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's incredibly tacky. That's the symbol of Boston? A Venezuelan oil subsidiary? That's what millions of people look at and feel all warm and fuzzy and at home inside when they see it? I've read the comments from the thousands of commenters on various Boston social media outlets about the sign. They pretty much all say "YOU CANT TAKE AWAY THE CITGO SIGN BECAUSE RED SOX AND BOSTON!!!!! NEED LANDMARK!!!!!"

New York has the Statue of Liberty. Philadelphia has the Liberty Bell. DC has the White House and a plethora of monuments. But hey, we have a sign representing a collectivist country's nationalized oil industry. AND IT LIGHTS UP AT NIGHT!
LOL, oh Boston

Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 PM

21,073 posts, read 20,003,474 times
When I first moved out to Eastern MA from WMass and my cousin showed that thing to me, I thought it was pretty funny. Cute, even sort of clever. A landmark of sorts.

Personally, I have no use for Boston and I never go there. But remembering all the history books, there are a lot of landmarks in Boston so you probably don't need that thing. No matter where you go, things change. Back where I come from, there was a NYC invasion and they changed everything--it's not the same as it was when I was growing up, but it wasn't the end of he world. They could take away that sign and nothing earth shattering will happen.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 AM

2,248 posts, read 3,807,319 times
Quote:

bjimmy24:. but you didn't grow up here...or come of age here as a college freshman (me).

Your post is convincing, I'll admit. But maybe if you were from here...(or then it seems you'd be especially embarrassed in that case that such a symbol represents us nationally?).

MIT students have to see it from their dorm... you'd think they'd have invented a way to hinder it somehow, or have it blink and zigzag wildly!

Perhaps it's synonymous with the Red Sox to many watching on TV from around the world; I betcha many believe it's AT Fenway, not near it down the street. I've loved seeing it day or night during a home run ball in the air, long befire moving here. Now, if it weren't synonymous with Fenway and the Sox, and erected atop a building near Harvard Square or Charles Circle, then I'd see your point. But it's Boston, Fenway, Red Sox and Boston University all rolled into one...the proverbial beacon for lost freshmen.

There's a reason it's included in nearly every caricature of Boston on those wall murals and such.. They seem to just slap it somewhere on the skyline at times, not minding if it's placed appropriately. It just needs to be there!

Even the talking heads on the national news shows will often have the sign in the background.

I've seen more and more Citgo-style tee shirts lately. Instead of Citgo, the wording is Boston -- and sometimes (?) Fenway or Red Sox, I think.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:25 AM

733 posts, read 416,473 times
Quote:

You are confusing architecture, structures and symbols that were designed to be landmarks (or have become so through lore) with a once-commercial sign that has long ago been cognitively repurposed as a quirky cultural symbol specific to Boston, the Kenmore Square neighborhood, and baseball—nationally, even. Not one person with any attachment to Boston metro, save yourself, sees the Citgo sign and thinks of a "collectivist country's nationalized oil industry." That's exactly as absurd as you're trying to make it sound. And perhaps that makes it all the better to serve as a quirky cultural reference. If that's what you think of when you see the T-shirt, you do not get it.

Cultural symbols, regardless of origin, deserve a place in society, and they deserve preservation, or we'll find ourselves scrubbed completely clean of everything less than 100% utilitarian in the name of gentrification and over-development. (This last bit goes for everything from the Tio Pepe sign to the gum wall and on.)

Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 AM

36,898 posts, read 26,606,485 times
I don't care overly much about the sign, actually don't care either way, but it is a symbol. And Kenmore Square is a shell of what it used to be. Man, that place used to be fun and cool. Now it just has some nice restaurants that most people can't afford. RIP The Rat

Old 07-15-2016, 09:34 AM

9,237 posts, read 8,249,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
bjimmy24:. but you didn't grow up here...or come of age here as a college freshman (me).

Your post is convincing, I'll admit. But maybe if you were from here...(or then it seems you'd be especially embarrassed in that case that such a symbol represents us nationally?).

MIT students have to see it from their dorm... you'd think they'd have invented a way to hinder it somehow, or have it blink and zigzag wildly!

Perhaps it's synonymous with the Red Sox to many watching on TV from around the world; I betcha many believe it's AT Fenway, not near it down the street. I've loved seeing it day or night during a home run ball in the air, long befire moving here. Now, if it weren't synonymous with Fenway and the Sox, and erected atop a building near Harvard Square or Charles Circle, then I'd see your point. But it's Boston, Fenway, Red Sox and Boston University all rolled into one...the proverbial beacon for lost freshmen.

There's a reason it's included in nearly every caricature of Boston on those wall murals and such.. They seem to just slap it somewhere on the skyline at times, not minding if it's placed appropriately. It just needs to be there!

Even the talking heads on the national news shows will often have the sign in the background.

I've seen more and more Citgo-style tee shirts lately. Instead of Citgo, the wording is Boston -- and sometimes (?) Fenway or Red Sox, I think.
I get that it's been around and it's prominent, but it's impossible to justify in my opinion. No I am not from here. But I would likely be embarrassed by the Citgo sign if I were. I am actually embarrassed by it just as a resident of 4 years. I'm not just ripping on it for no reason and I'm not anti-Boston or anti-Bostonians. A ton of stuff embarrasses me about my hometown, Cleveland. Most recently, it was the ridiculous "Believeland" documentary with all these losers talking about how sad life is because millionaires who wear shirts with their city's name on it haven't won a trophy in a long time and literally crying on TV about it. Cleveland is much better than that. Boston is much better than the Citgo sign. That's all I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or