Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 04:18 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
That is a decent plan, but I think taking a temp job right away is the risk averse strategy. If he wants a long term job and career, I think he should spend at least some time networking and talking to people who will be able to help him find a job. He can start doing this even long distance. If I were in this position, I'd come here hitting the ground running, hoping that I could take a month to really spend my time 'pounding the pavement.' Finding the professional associations that are relevant to his career -- there are all kinds of groups that have networking events and always are interested in people who want to help run them. He can get his resume ready, apply for jobs that he sees listed on job sites, see if the career center at his alma mater has suggestions, has alumni in the Boston area, or has any kind of reciprocity with a career center here. I think putting in some of this time now will pay off. At least he'll be able to say he's done everything possible to get a job.

If he's done this for a few weeks, he can then get a temp job, and continue to do all these networking things. But I've seen it happen where people end up so busy with the temp job that they don't have time to devote to a job search, and their career suffers. Yes, he could end up getting a permanent job from his temp job, but I think the few weeks lost by doing a real, intense job search will still work in his favor in the long run.
Best way to get a job is to have a job. Looking for a job out there from his parents house is the safe option, he'll just never amount to much because nobody is going to hire him.

I honestly don't know where these responses are coming from. I think it's been quite a long time since some people here have been twenty something or were looking for a new job.

How is a 22 year old with zero experience supposed to "network "? Just go get a job. You have nothing to talk about at any networking event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 04:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
You guys know you are allowed to quit a temp job right?

Old 08-03-2016, 04:27 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Best way to get a job is to have a job. Looking for a job out there from his parents house is the safe option, he'll just never amount to much because nobody is going to hire him.

I honestly don't know where these responses are coming from. I think it's been quite a long time since some people here have been twenty something or were looking for a new job.

How is a 22 year old with zero experience supposed to "network "? Just go get a job. You have nothing to talk about at any networking event.
I know that is a line of thought, but I haven't seen any real evidence that is true. It strikes me as more anecdotal - that only people with jobs are offered new ones.
Looking for a job long distance is, I suppose, the safe option. But if he plans to move here in September, you really think the better option is to do nothing while he is at his parent's house (although it's not clear to me that he actually is at his paren'ts house, just that he is somewhere other than Boston). That doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
Yeah, quitting always endears you to employers. I wouldn't quit unless I had another job lined up, or the job was just so incredibly awful that the mental toll was extremely high. And even then, I've rarely had the luxury of giving up my paycheck. When I was in my twenties I needed every cent I earned.

Even if it's "just" a temp job, quitting doesn't generally look good, unless you're going to a better job.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
BUT, if he is looking for a perm job, he is going to have to put in some real time and effort. And having a temp job will cut into the time available for doing this. It may become a necessity, to get some money, but if he's really looking long term, the time spent looking for a good position in his field will pay off more than many temp jobs will.

Ok, we just view this differently. One can do both full time in reality. Working 40 hrs a week as a temp never, ever cut into my applying for positions. It also only helped in networking and in getting interviews.

If he's looking for a perm gig and can afford to not work, I still suggest working.

Quote:
Done it several times. Also never got in the way of interviewing. Indeed, me leaving a temp job a a local University led to a perm counteroffer at a higher salary to stay.

Quote:
Yup. And he's unlikely to get interviews when he's not based here either. I tried when moving to the Midwest, the answer was "call me when you get there". Get a job, some job, an admin assistant for $13/hr... if that is what you can get and go from there.

Quote:
Even if it's "just" a temp job, quitting doesn't generally look good, unless you're going to a better job.
A perm job with benefits is going to be better, and employers of temps expect them to quit if they get a full time offer... and no, they don't hold it against them. They tend to wish them luck from my experience on both sides, or try to find a place for them if they can.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

A perm job with benefits is going to be better, and employers of temps expect them to quit if they get a full time offer... and no, they don't hold it against them. They tend to wish them luck from my experience on both sides, or try to find a place for them if they can.
And I would consider a full time offer to be a "better job."

Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
And I would consider a full time offer to be a "better job."
Well duh, that's what I effectively said. So we agree, a company isn't going to hold it against a temp to take a better job offer. Indeed, they would expect it.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:27 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
That's not what he's saying.

1) Move to Boston.
2) Get a temp job to get the cash flow.
3) While working a temp job, look for a permanent job.
4) Accept a permanent job and quit the temp job.
5) If 4 never happens, move back home and try something else. No sense in being so risk adverse for a 22 year old.

What I'm saying at least, is that this is a totally workable plan. I did something very similar at the same age as OP only 4 years ago.
+1, it was just a different city for me. One that was more depressed and had many fewer opportunities. But I still managed to get a temp job, look for a permanent one, find a permanent one, got an offer from the permanent one, the temp employer counter-offered, I accepted their counteroffer and the temp job became permanent. Only thing is that this was about 20 yrs ago LOL.

Best of luck with your adventure OP.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well duh, that's what I effectively said. So we agree, a company isn't going to hold it against a temp to take a better job offer. Indeed, they would expect it.
Yes, I pointed it out because that was what I had said.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
+1, it was just a different city for me. One that was more depressed and had many fewer opportunities. But I still managed to get a temp job, look for a permanent one, find a permanent one, got an offer from the permanent one, the temp employer counter-offered, I accepted their counteroffer and the temp job became permanent. Only thing is that this was about 20 yrs ago LOL.

Best of luck with your adventure OP.
Just a quick note OP that this isn't to say that it was easy or that things have been smooth sailing since then. Lots of ups and downs. I'm more secure now but looking back, my 20's (when I had less money, less security, not as nice of a living environment, etc.) was a great decade. So many fun and carefree times, and so much less responsibility and weight on my shoulders. I didn't have much but my life was full and rich, despite the challenges and setbacks...I laughed a lot more. Now in my 40's and with more resources, I'm surprised at how hard it is to find that level of joy. It's much less often, harder to come by, I have to work at it, and I have to spend a lot to get there.

I wish you a great decade and I envy you in some ways. Enjoy your 20's (and 30's, 40's, etc.).

Old 08-05-2016, 10:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Thirty years ago it would have been not a bad idea. I remember quitting a job in Boston and just working temp while I prepared to move out of state (with a full year's worth of savings as backup). There was plenty of temp work in metro Boston, very little in my new city so I drew down heavily on those savings. But I made it...about thirty years ago. Things everywhere are different in 2016.

Now, rents in the Boston area are so expensive that your little nest egg might vanish faster than the 4 to 5 months you expect. Have you priced COL for where you would want to move? Have you seen that some commutes between an affordable apartment and your job might be a nightmare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: