Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 17,103 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm thinking of moving to Boston with my husband. We're looking to live outside of Boston, but no more than a thirty minute commute, either by car or public transportation, to Boston Medical Center, where I'll be working.

We want to buy a house, with at least .2 acres of land, for no more than $750k. We have no kids but we do have a dog, and we love to go walking along woodsy trails with him. We would love to be in an area that has some outdoorsy types of things - ponds, hiking, etc...

(For those of you who might know CT, we lived in Branford CT, and loved it there, and are looking for a similar feel)

Does this suburb of Boston exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,281,310 times
I lived in New Haven for a while and spent time in Branford. It's lovely there. I used to go for dinner at a place on or near 146. Can't remember the name now.

Half an hour is tough since there's an inner core of more densely populated towns but .2 acres isn't that woodsy. You might want to check out Winchester, which is a very attractive town just north of Boston. It is right next to the Middlesex Fells reservation, which has hiking trails and reservoirs, and there are other lakes and ponds around.

The commute depends on your hours. BMC and Winchester are both right off 93, and without traffic the drive would be 20-25 mins. With traffic it would take significantly longer. Winchester also has two commuter rail stations that get you to North Station in under 20 minutes, but from there it's a bit of a hassle to get to BMC. The best bet would likely be to take the Orange Line to New England Medical Center and then the Silver Line (which is a fancy bus along Washington St. in the South End). The Silver Line stops at Washington and Worcester Sq., a block from the hospital. I lived on that block and it's beautiful. But the trip by mass transit would likely take about 45 minutes or more, and you'd have to work around the commuter rail schedules (trains only leave every 20-30 mins in the evening rush, more rarely after that).

In addition to Winchester, perhaps Westwood to the south. The train goes into Back Bay station in under 20 mins from Route 128 station (also an Amtrak station), and the 10 bus goes from Back Bay to the hospital. Another thought is Hingham but I doubt you could make it to BMC in 30 minutes from there. Roads are slow and it's over 30 mins just to South Station on the train. Lexington is also nice but I think that would take over 30 mins also since BMC is not right near the train station for the central business areas.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 17,103 times
Thanks for your response...I wonder if the restaurant you're talking about was Lenny's? The best clam strips I've ever had!

BMC is definitely rough to get to by public transport (I figured that out when I interviewed there) but seems to be in a great location for driving, right near the 90 and 93. How awful does the commute get? If I live 15 miles from the hospital, could I possibly be looking at a drive of an hour at peak traffic?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrecks View Post
Thanks for your response...I wonder if the restaurant you're talking about was Lenny's? The best clam strips I've ever had!

BMC is definitely rough to get to by public transport (I figured that out when I interviewed there) but seems to be in a great location for driving, right near the 90 and 93. How awful does the commute get? If I live 15 miles from the hospital, could I possibly be looking at a drive of an hour at peak traffic?
Driving into Boston for work is not recommended in most cases, though it makes much more sense for the BMC given the multiple transfers required for public transit commuting. Obviously, a lot of people do it, leading to the traffic situation. In answer to your question: Absolutely. Winchester is 10-11 miles from BMC and even that ride could take twice as long at the worst of the traffic. The key is to get as close to 93 as possible because any distance on any other roads is likely to be slow going. Lexington, for example, appears to be about the same distance as Winchester, but coming from there would require either taking Route 2 to the Fresh Pond Pkwy mess in Cambridge (slow), or going to 93 via Mystic Valley Parkway (slow), or taking 128 around the top to 93 (circuitous and slow). So in my mind a commute from Winchester to BMC is infinitely better than from Lexington. The Mass. Av. extension is pretty slow but you can get off near the Mass. Pike and come down Albany St or Harrison.

Another thought is Wayland. It is woodsy and not far from the Mass. Pike. The Pike tends to be a bit quicker than 93 in the mornings and has an exit at Copley Sq./Prudential that is only a few blocks from BMC.

I am almost certain that it was Lenny's. I have been meaning to go back there for some pizza in New Haven and I think I'll swing through Branford as well.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,987,426 times
Milton may be an option. Not that I'd recommend driving (mainly due to parking costs) but you could take Blue Hill Ave, avoiding the Expressway. The red line would also be an option with a bus transfer from the closest station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston