Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,489 times

Advertisements

Hi all-
Recently accepted a promotion to relocate to Boston from New York City this October and am hoping to get recommendations on neighborhoods to live in. I am a 31 y/o single male, originally from NYC but have lived in Michigan and Missouri as well. Will be working in Jamaica Plain and have a car. I am looking to rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment, preferably under $2000/month, and preferably in a newer construction or renovated building. Am looking for walkability, neighbors in my age range, variety of restaurants and social activities, access to parks or other outdoor space and a somewhat easy commute to work. I have heard a lot about Brookline, Cambridge, and Brighton being good areas.

While I have seen many threads about "where to live" most seem to be outdated or not specific to my situation so any leads or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
JP is a good area, just stay there. Your budget is fine. Lots to do, bars, restaurants, live music, people your age, lots of green areas, etc. It's a pretty "hip" area.

New construction isn't common here though.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:31 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,221,618 times
Renovated property's are common in JP.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:46 PM

1,898 posts, read 1,390,445 times
I agree, I'd live in JP. Of the other areas you listed, Brookline would be good (adjacent to JP), however the commute from Cambridge to JP crosses the city and would be a pain in the butt.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:39 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,761,660 times
I grew up in NYC too.

Agree with the others to look in JP. I'm in Brookline and it's nice but expensive (but hey, I'm worth it). No kids, no need for proximity to Longwood or easy access to downtown (places in JP offer that too though) so for you, there's no need to throw more $ into being in Brookline. And there isn't much new construction here. I like JP too - fun place.

I say no to Brighton. And Cambridge, although it has good parts...i'd ask why? No use.

Congrats on the promotion and welcome. Boston is filled with opportunity.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,680,772 times
If you're working in JP you may as well live there since you can afford it and it checks off many of the other items on your list. The car will be a PITA unless you find an off street parking spot to rent.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 PM

74 posts, read 72,396 times
Yes, JP is the best choice for you. It's walkable, plenty of activity (for Boston standards, nothing like NYC), many people in your age group, Jamaica Pond around the corner.
BTW, my husband and I lived on a side-street of Green street (this is central JP) and had zero problems finding parking.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 PM

371 posts, read 525,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaG View Post
Yes, JP is the best choice for you. It's walkable, plenty of activity (for Boston standards, nothing like NYC), many people in your age group, Jamaica Pond around the corner.
BTW, my husband and I lived on a side-street of Green street (this is central JP) and had zero problems finding parking.
what about Quincy for people in their 30s?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post

It's fine, but no reason to do that if one is working in JP.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:50 PM

74 posts, read 72,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
Oh, no, please don't do this to yourself! I actually moved to Quincy from JP and although it made sense as we were having a baby and I wouldn't be able to go out a lot etc, anyway, I strongly disliked it. There are very few restaurants, bars etc, and it's significantly farther away from other parts of town where things are happening. Driving to Cambridge or Coolidge Corner for example is a huge PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston