Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:10 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Is there a city anywhere where it is still going on? I'm wondering if this thread belongs on the General US forum, in that it's not really specific to Boston.
Yes, there are several with very strong scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Is there a city anywhere where it is still going on? I'm wondering if this thread belongs on the General US forum, in that it's not really specific to Boston.
Ever been to Providence?

Old 09-15-2016, 11:37 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Ever been to Providence?
Providence is better. Portland OR was the first place that came to mind. Then Chicago and Bay Area, all stronger than Boston. Cleveland too. And Austin.

Lots of places are still strong.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
And the grass isn't greener elsewhere.
In many cases it is both figuratively and literally, Just sayin.......

Old 09-16-2016, 05:18 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
What does that have to do with the changing structure of the city? Just because i am in my 30's doesn't mean that this city hasn't fallen to complete **** in the arts/entertainment/culture category. so unless im in my 20's its cool that this city is essentially an outdoor mall for soulless idiots that think going to see Pearl Jam at Fenway park and having a beer at jerry remis after is the gritty boston experience that lured you in here? You came, You stripped the soul out and made it a safe place for you to wear your uniform around other people that are essentially the same as you and get a chuckle when you hear a 63 year old union laborer with an actual Boston accent.

Maybe its time for you to move on.
Youre on the wrong board for this. If you wanna experience "gritty or cultures Boston" that now primarily the realm of minorities or at least much more multicultural than it was 20/25+ years ago... and more of a hip hop/edm/dancehall-international stoner feel than the old punk rock scene. White gritty/humble Boston is a wrap.Go to Hyde Park, Dorchester, Quincy, Revere, Randolph, Everett, Chelsea, Malden, parts of Roslindale even parts of West Roxbury if you want that more down to earth Boston feel.This whole eccentric old 1970s-1990s grit that was in the inner core places like Cambridge/Somerville/Fenway/JP/Southie is long gone.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 PM

277 posts, read 327,595 times
What bar is being replaced by " buttermilk and bourbon " ?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:35 PM

349 posts, read 320,720 times
The ultra-gentrifiers coming Cambridge and Somerville and telling you to get out with rising costs! Cities change, and I can appreciate that people can feel alienated.

Personally, the OP's complaints sound fantastic to me. Being in technology, I enjoy the concentration of industry talent, and largely don't care about the cultural / musical amenities. To each their own. Just be thankful that a 1 bedroom costs less than $4,200 -- it's coming : ). Moving from SF to Boston was a breath of fresh air in affordability.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
The ultra-gentrifiers coming Cambridge and Somerville and telling you to get out with rising costs! Cities change, and I can appreciate that people can feel alienated.

Personally, the OP's complaints sound fantastic to me. Being in technology, I enjoy the concentration of industry talent, and largely don't care about the cultural / musical amenities. To each their own. Just be thankful that a 1 bedroom costs less than $4,200 -- it's coming : ). Moving from SF to Boston was a breath of fresh air in affordability.
The OP's complaints refer to a flash in the pan that came and went like so many other pop culture trends. More enduring is Boston's interest in music of all kinds from the professional orchestra and the many community orchestras and chamber music groups and folk festivals to rock and hip hop. I'd prefer to think that the ultra gentrifiers and the regular gentrifiers and the non-gentrified will continue to make and listen to music and support its institutions and venues.

Also like the idea that the grit has shifted from the old insular white ethnic neighborhoods (gentrified out of existence) to the new non-white culturally mixed communities within and beyond the city limits.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:25 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
6 were stabbed in the theatre district last night, just like the good ole days. OP must be thrilled the grit if still there. now if we could just get that murder rate back where it belongs, I mean Baltimore has 200 murders a year, are we really honing to let Balitmore beat us?
<snark>

Old 09-26-2016, 05:47 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
6 were stabbed in the theatre district last night, just like the good ole days. OP must be thrilled the grit if still there. now if we could just get that murder rate back where it belongs, I mean Baltimore has 200 murders a year, are we really honing to let Balitmore beat us?
<snark>
Really?

Where did I mention the crime rate anywhere? You are obviously a clown that is trying to entertain yourself. People can get stabbed in a stale city. Protect your neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston