Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 23,369 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hey all … I’m looking to take a promotion in Boston and will be working Chelsea. I have to decide to either live outside the city and commute in, or live in the city. I’m more of a suburbanite, I like living in a house, have a yard to cut, run around the neighborhood, go to the gym, hit Costco, etc … [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I figure I will be using this promotion as a stepping stone to another back down to Northern Virginia or somewhere else down south, so I don’t plan on setting down roots or buying a place. I’m looking for a rent from 1500 – 2500 a month.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]If I live in the city, I’ll probably live close to my work, so I’ll look for a place in Chelsea. I have heard that Chelsea is the best area, but outside the high end city areas, where else is nice and close enough that I can walk to work? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Right now, if I live outside the city and commute in, I’m looking in the area of Newton, close to the Mass Turnpike, so I could use that on my commute, but I am open to some informed suggestions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Thanks for your assistance![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM

11 posts, read 67,238 times
Chelsea is definitely not one of the best areas, in fact it is one of the worst. Chelsea is quite run down and there is a high violent crime rate

Newton id a very nice area and you could find a decent place in your price range but the commute to Chelsea would be tough since you would be going right through the city. Public transit is and option but Chelsea is not the most well served area.

I would suggest looking somewhere north with easy access to route 1, Melrose may be you best bet but Saugus and Revere are closer to Chelsea and may make for an easier commute

Old 02-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doog123 View Post
Chelsea is definitely not one of the best areas, in fact it is one of the worst. Chelsea is quite run down and there is a high violent crime rate

Newton id a very nice area and you could find a decent place in your price range but the commute to Chelsea would be tough since you would be going right through the city. Public transit is and option but Chelsea is not the most well served area.

I would suggest looking somewhere north with easy access to route 1, Melrose may be you best bet but Saugus and Revere are closer to Chelsea and may make for an easier commute
Thanks Doog123;

Yeah, I had heard Chelsea wasn't the best, but being able to walk to work would have been awesome! I checked the Mass Crime stats and from what I gathered, Chelsea was not any higher on robbery/B&E/murders than Cambridge. Some of the worse areas were in the south of the city, so that area was out. Chelsea is like 50% Latino, so I think maybe it get's a bad rap as crime infested, but the crime stats don't show that.

Maybe coming down from the North is something I'll have to look at ... I'll start doing my research on the northern areas. I'll usually hit the road in the mornings around 6 AM to go to the gym prior to work ... how is route 1 at that time?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM

119 posts, read 551,913 times
Honestly, Chelsea is a pit. Hate to be so blunt here, but it is what it is. I would recommend Melrose, a ten minute commute. The new Oak Grove apartments on Main Street in Melrose (literally on the MBTA Orange Line) would be ideal for a nice rental community (I think 1900-2100 rent for 2 bedroom) Also, you can hit Gold's Gym (nice gym) on Route 1 in the Am on your way to work which is right next to the Revere cinema. My husband commuted via Rt 1 which was not bad at that hour at all. Good luck!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do some research and check that out on my house hunting trip in April. My work has a world class gym, so I'll be getting into work around 615 or 630 ... hopefully Rt 1 isn't bumper to bumper at that time of the morning.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 6,497 times
Default bad rap

I have to agree with the negative comments about chelsea coming from people in the outside. Many outside this city view it was a crime ridden pit, however its all but that. Chelsea suffers from poverty, not crime. A great amount of the people living in Chelsea are immagrants who are just getting bye. They are the office cleaners, house painters, and undocument laborers who are illegal. Crime and drugs are the last thing people in this neigborhood want.

For people who want to living in a nice apt for cheap rent, who don't fear poverty Chelsea is not a bad option. There are also areas of chelsea that are nice neighborhoods which have suburban city feel, But if you want to the city/suburban feel with clean tree lined streets and people jogging, etc move to cambridge or somerville. You will pay much higher rent, but its a much eye friendly enviroment.

Chelsea's proximaty to Downtown Boston makes it a very attractive for savy investors. I cannot say the same for other areas of Boston where crime rates, drug use, and gang are a threat to the neighborhood.

One more thing I earn over 100K a year, guess where I'm buying real estate to live in and rent.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,563 times
It's unfortunate that your opportunity for advancement does not include Western Canada; just imagine the majestic Rockies, the Pacific, close to the northern tundra, wide open spaces to ride (horse or hog), parking not a problem. Beautiful and safe neighbourhoods to jog through.Shopping includes Costco and every imagineable retail outlet, including designer, specialty and import shops. Health care is good and health care providers dedicated. We are the jewel of the north....all the best in your recent posting....Secretofmine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston