Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,106 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Boston area this summer and want to send our three girs, 10, 13, 14 to parochial schools and heard of Sacred Heart in Kingston and wonder if anyone can share info or experience with it. Also wondering about Notre Dame Academy in Hingham (H.S. for girls). Are there any other Catholic high schools in the the south shore area between Plymouth and Hingham? Also, I read a comment about a nuclear power plant in Plymouth (area)? Any confirmations? Thanks for any comments and help. I'm quite confused about where to choose to live and schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 AM

639 posts, read 3,518,785 times
You're lucky you have Notre Dame Academy right in Hingham! It used to be in Roxbury back when one of my cousins (who's an attorney by the way, now see that!) had to take the train & a bus there all the time. It's quite a school with a great reputation!

If you go to this site St Irene Roman Catholic Church in Carlisle, Massachusetts it'll list a lot of the Catholic schools in Massachusetts south and north of the greater Boston area. Another reason why you're lucking out too is because in New Hampshire where I am now there was St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Dover and that's IT on the seacoast for parochial high schools. It's also got a great reputation like Notre Dame Academy, my nieces and nephews went there and YES it's well worth it to send them to private schools, they're all either in good colleges now or graduated. I know people that had to drive their boys down to St. John's Prep in Danvers (it's a wonderful private boys school!) every day and it wasn't easy for them during snow storms, rainy days and all that. So you definitely should consider yourself lucky to have that wonderful school right in Hingham IF you end up living near there! There's a lot of various grammar & middle schools listed on that website that you could consider, you should check the school website and contact the school directly and also visit the school before making any long term decisions.

Sorry, I don't know that much about the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant. We have one in Seabrook, NH too near us up in New Hampshire and basically we forget it's there! Ours is run by FPL in Florida. I know they have evacuation policies in place and every couple of years they have a "shut down" which is like they're taking an inventory of their system, it runs for a couple of months. They have it covered pretty extensively and quite well, and I know they do their homework when it comes to getting good Engineers and licensed contractors to handle it all. It's probably set up the same way in Plymouth I would think. Keep checking back here I'm sure you'll get your answer about it!

Good luck with deciding on just the right schools for your kids! That website should be helpful. Just scroll down and look on the left at their menu and click on Catholic Schools, click it on and it'll list all of them for you:

St Irene Roman Catholic Church in Carlisle, Massachusetts

Last edited by CityGirl52; 02-27-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM

639 posts, read 3,518,785 times
Default A few more good ones...

Fontbonne Academy in Milton, MA., is very good too. It's always been one of the better parochial high schools to go to and evidently it still is wonderful there to this day:

Fontbonne Academy

This isn't a parochial school but it's quite a good private school. It's called Thayer Academy in Braintree. It's grade 6 to 12, just another school to check out that's extremely good on that south shore!

www.http://www.thayer.org (broken link)

I know Newton Country Day School in Newton, MA., is very good too, so it's going to be much more choices for you than my sisters & brothers had in New Hampshire, now see that? You're lucking out if you move to the Hingham area!

I know that to get in to Fontbonne Academy in Milton, MA. the students have to take the Archdiocesan High School Placement Test. I'm thinking it would be the same thing for any of the other parochial high schools too? BUT I don't know, you'd have to find that out as you're going along with this research. This particular test they evidently need to take is given at Fontbonne Academy with two dates, one in November and one in December.
To take the HSPT at Fontbonne, download a copy of their card online and return to Fontbonne Academy with the $25 registration fee, as space is limited. At the time of the test, a student can indicate as many as FIVE schools to which the students' scores will be sent.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,632,170 times
lots of people from the cape go to sacred heart in kingston. I have heard it is a real good school. As another poster stated Notre Dame was in robury until it relocated to hingham. when in roxbury it also used to be a boarding school. However the cape has
since opened up a few catholic schools on in hyannis and one in yarmouth

Old 03-06-2008, 04:10 PM

142 posts, read 658,358 times
I have a relative at Notre Dame, and a daughter's friend at Fontbonne. Both are excellent choices. I'd give a facilities edge to Notre Dame, since Fontbonne comes up short on land, but my relative also comments politely that the kids at Notre Dame are quite 'upscale'.

There's another Catholic high school in Briantree called Archbishop Williams. It's not quite as nice as the other two, and I believe it is co-ed, but you do have another option.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,632,170 times
frankly if you wish, check out Boston, people do that travel every day! Norte Dame,
is kind of snob appeal, why,! as the other posted did state check out archibishop
williams, for a real look, at the real person! I also wonder if Juliet B is still around?

N. Darmouth! even prince Harry did wish to bunker down, with his troops? to consider. also he was very happy! also the real point is to mix in, and enjoy school, not which, country club do we go to? when the school was in Roxbury, it was at a lower key, still, if you had money, that did count? if you were average, as then, most? anyway at 14, what did we know, or even care!
anyway, check out the h.s. in the Boston area. it is not so bad a commute, people on the cape do it each day, and to sacred heart- talk with your children, and see, how they will fit in. also ask, what they like, if you are in a school, and unhappy, it will not work. also, if you are in a nice place, maybe the town school would work for a while, why the cost for h.s. is real high.
then in the town school they have a chance to meet real people. then you may save for higher education. my best advice, is ask, and know your children, and hear what they do tell you. Amen!

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-07-2008 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 PM

10 posts, read 43,070 times
Default Notre Dame Academy

I attended Notre Dame and was very happy with my experience there. Yes, there are a lot of students who are wealthy. However, there were many of us who were working to pay for books and uniforms and drove clunkers to school as well. Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions. Granted, I graduated in 1991, but I could still share some of my experiences with you. I still receive a newsletter from them. It certainly looks like the school has upgraded their facilities significantly.

As a side note, many of the girls that I went to school with attended Sacred Heart thru the 8th grade and then transferred over in to Notre Dame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston