Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:36 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arumwati View Post
Chicago is nice place why u moving
You don't always have much choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:40 AM

596 posts, read 818,771 times
Also Boston is a nice place too, especially when you can afford $4500 in rent.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Also Boston is a nice place too, especially when you can afford $4500 in rent.
QFT

But damn, Chicago on that salary? That dining scene is dynamite.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
We lived in South End, Back Bay, and Beacon Hill with kids and would highly recommend any of these - best of Boston right at your doorstep - good match with your wishes/needs and within your budget, although you won't get a lot of space.

Where are you in Chicago?

Old 10-25-2016, 12:56 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
We lived in the Back Bay and now in Cambridge. While I loved the Back Bay and do miss it from time to time, Cambridge is much more conducive to children IMO. MANY more parks and playgrounds, more living space for your $, easier parking, less expensive baby sitters, more down to earth parents, etc. It's still urban, but with some space to breathe. I think it will remind you of some of the near in Chicago neighborhoods. We are less than 10 min to the Back Bay and the commute to the Seaport is fairly quick via T or car. Mid-Cambridge, Riverside. and Agassiz are the places I'd look. The Port is also an up and coming area. (http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/F...ndex.pdf?la=en)

Old 10-25-2016, 05:05 PM

20 posts, read 22,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
With that budget you will have very little problem finding something you like. Coolidge Corner is very family friendly with lots of parks and walkable destinations but a little far for your husband (though you should look into Bridj if you like Coolidge Corner--it's a decent commuter option). The part of Back Bay closer to the Public Garden would be better than the other side of BB. Your husband can walk to Park and get the red line. Beacon Hill is on the red line.

Thank you for your suggestions. How long of a commute would Coolidge Corner be? Are there public transportation option? How long does the red line take to go from Back Bay to Seaport?

Old 10-25-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
Since you're staying at home, do you want to easily meet other families and have playdates? If you head toward the Roslindale/Jamaica Plain area of Boston, there are strollers and babies galore. It's incredibly easy to meet other parents and their kids. Those two neighborhoods are semi-suburban but still part of the City of Boston. It's a bit greener on that side of Boston with the Emerald Necklace and a lot of fun playgrounds. There are a ton of family activities like Lantern Parade, Midnight Zoo, PorchFests, and Farmer's Markets. They both have safe sidewalks and lots of indie shops and restaurants. You could easily find a 3-bedroom under your budget (and save a bit of money and not pay for parking if you want to maintain a car). My husband works in the Financial District, which is next door to the Seaport District. It takes him 20 minutes by commuter rail to get from Roslindale Village to South Station, which has a connection to the Silver Line or is walkable to the Seaport District. We really wanted to move to Jamaica Plain, but couldn't afford it. So we bought a home in Roslindale two years ago. We love, love, love the neighborhood! It's freakin' adorable.

We used to live in South Boston, which is next door to the Seaport District. I grew up in Southie and my husband lived there for almost a decade. As soon as a baby came into the picture, we fled the area. We only stuck around so long because the rent used to be very cheap and I had family nearby. If anyone wants to hear why we left, feel free to PM me.

As for Beacon Hill, it's going to feel a bit cramped up there. I wouldn't want to be alone in the Boston Common at night, especially near Downtown Crossing. If you're going to look at Back Bay, you might as well add South End to your list. The latter is a little bit more popular with families.

Thank you for your help! Being new to the city I'd like easy accessibility to the city so I can explore as well. Would it be easy to get to the city with my son from Jamaica Plain? I would definitely be looking to meet people, set up playdates, have kid friendly activities close by, etc. Does Back Bay, Beacon Hill, or the South End make it easy to do those things? I have a feeling my husband may want to be closer to downtown, although space may be a problem.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
After reading the first post, I right away thought "South End." I have friends that live on Waltham Street with kids and there is a park right across the street from their building. They absolutely love it. Commuting to the Seaport is a bit of a PITA (I've done it), but it would be easy to get there from the South End.

I'd also throw Brookline into the mix as it can be very walkable and has a more urban feel without being right in the middle of the city. South Boston (Southie as it's know to the locals) might be a good spot too.
What would the commute be like from the South End? Is there public transportation or is a car necessary?

Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arumwati View Post
Chicago is nice place why u moving
Relocating for work.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
We lived in South End, Back Bay, and Beacon Hill with kids and would highly recommend any of these - best of Boston right at your doorstep - good match with your wishes/needs and within your budget, although you won't get a lot of space.

Where are you in Chicago?
We currently live on the border of the Loop/ West Loop. Best of both worlds as downtown is walkable but we can also easily access the quieter streets and parks of the West Loop. We've also lived in Bucktown, Old Town, River West, and Lincoln Park, with the latter being my favorite place to live with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston