Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:22 PM

78 posts, read 59,371 times

Advertisements

So far I'm finding Kendall Sq to be particularly ear shattering when trains arrive. I'd also nominate Downtown Crossing for orange. I find green stations to be less loud.

I don't remember the subway system in DC being quite so loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 11:36 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Not just Kendall, but Isn't Boylston Street green line station notorious with the curve causing a screeching noise?

Not on the green line much anymore, so can't comment if it's improved.

Do you notice the noise only when waiting in the Kendall station, or even when riding approaching trains or stopping at Kendall from a station in either direction?

Old 11-20-2016, 07:03 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
harvard: in the 90's i remember they shutdown the old station but left the platform.
so whenever a train arrives it would make a screeching, banging, vibrating noise; the lights would flicker...

Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Boylston is bad, Haymarket might be worse (green line part, not orange).

Old 11-20-2016, 09:08 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
^ the squealing at Boylston is brutal. I don't know that haymarket is worse, but it's not good either. Government Center actually took steps to quiet the sound and I think it's working pretty well so far.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:13 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^ the squealing at Boylston is brutal. I don't know that haymarket is worse, but it's not good either. Government Center actually took steps to quiet the sound and I think it's working pretty well so far.
Is that Boylston or Park St?

I'm on that train every single day. (For now.)

Old 11-20-2016, 09:30 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
The squeal is at Boylston. It's famous. On a WGBH segment a few years ago, without giving him any clues, they played an audio clip of it for then transportation secretary Davey and he identified it immediately and explained that the wheelbase on the cars are just a tad too long for that curve and there's nothing they can do about it. As a result, most green line riders have the hearing range equivalent to that of '80s metalheads. Unless, of course, those riders were also '80s metalheads, in which case they cannot hear a dang thing. Fact.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:48 AM

274 posts, read 252,749 times
Oh, man, I used to LOVE that rail shriek in Boylston!! I grew up in Boston in the mid-70s.

Practically lived on the T. It was cheap entertainment, and fertile people-watching ground.

Thanks for the memories; now I want a steak-n-cheese, and to be able to listen to Top 40 music on WRKO!
"WOOOO-ooooh, it's the exciting Mike Adams on WRKO"

....or the Mighty Lunch Hour with Ken Shelton on "The ROCK of BOSTON....WBCN"

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. Sorry! Thanks again for the reminder of something I forgot I miss.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Not just Kendall, but Isn't Boylston Street green line station notorious with the curve causing a screeching noise?

Not on the green line much anymore, so can't comment if it's improved.

Do you notice the noise only when waiting in the Kendall station, or even when riding approaching trains or stopping at Kendall from a station in either direction?
It's the sheer overwhelming sound of a training arriving or departing, going in either direction. The acoustics seem terrible.

Although a gentleman was playing classical on a violin in Downtown Crossing in a particular hallway and it sounded like a symphony.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
The squeal is at Boylston. It's famous. On a WGBH segment a few years ago, without giving him any clues, they played an audio clip of it for then transportation secretary Davey and he identified it immediately and explained that the wheelbase on the cars are just a tad too long for that curve and there's nothing they can do about it. As a result, most green line riders have the hearing range equivalent to that of '80s metalheads. Unless, of course, those riders were also '80s metalheads, in which case they cannot hear a dang thing. Fact.
Wow.

I'm amazed people can listen to stuff with ear buds over the subway noise. I used to do that mowing lawns and my hearing is unsurprisingly notably damaged now. I wear earplugs on the subway usually now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston