Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 09:57 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times

Advertisements

Northeastern seems so blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Northeastern seems so blah.
I think that's the old reputation, but old or new, the people there seem to get good jobs and excel, those that come from engineering/computer/project management backgrounds.

But even in the early to mid 2000s, the people I knew that went there were those going back to school, that dropped out of places like the SUNY system because they partied too hard, or whatever, and were getting their lives together.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:01 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Northeastern has a 28% acceptance rate. That means that 72% of people who apply to it get rejected. I'd hardly call that a safety school. It's only a safety school when compared to the Ivy League.

Also Northeastern has gotten remarkably more prestigious in a relatively short period of time. I'd consider it on par with a school like BU. In fact its campus is a good bit nicer than BU's campus.

This is an article on Northeasterns rise due to gaming the rankings (though I don't believe that this is the only reason). Northeastern also has a better location than BC and a nicer campus compared to BU (sandwiched between two highways).
How Northeastern University Gamed the College Rankings
I'd agree on all of the above. I'd also add that the co-op program has been a real differentiator for Northeastern.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
well, according to the latest US news:
BC # 31
BU and Northeastern are tied at # 39

you can slice and dice further based on selectivity, SAT scores, etc but these are pretty darn close .... and close to the top of the pile of ~300 national universities.

(The use/abuse of rankings is a whole other question)
Fixed that for you.

Have you read the Boston Magazine article about how Northeastern's president gamed the US News rankings? They hired this guy for the sole purpose of turning around their rankings in the 1990's. He came up with the clever idea to concentrate on a single list - "the list" that all guidance counselors and high school seniors swear by. Year by year he implemented changes that directly affected Northeastern's US News ranking. For example one criteria is selectivity. They boosted their selectivity by sending out free application waivers to thousands of students who weren't academically qualified. This increased the # of applicants and decreased their acceptance rate to a ridiculously low rate. They did tricks like this every year and over time their rankings increased. Now that they've been in the top 50 for a while they are attracting genuinely smart students so they don't need to play these tricks anymore. The article goes into detail about other tactics they used back in the late 90's and 2000's. It's really amazing how far they've come though. I remember this stupid jock ranked in the bottom half my graduating class who went to Northeastern. It was considered a joke in the 90's. Fast forward 20 years and one of my neighbors turned down Brown to go to Northeastern.

EDIT: Oops, I see someone else already linked that Boston Magazine article. It's an interesting read, check it out!

Old 12-21-2016, 02:15 PM

875 posts, read 663,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Fixed that for you.

Have you read the Boston Magazine article about how Northeastern's president gamed the US News rankings? They hired this guy for the sole purpose of turning around their rankings in the 1990's. He came up with the clever idea to concentrate on a single list - "the list" that all guidance counselors and high school seniors swear by. Year by year he implemented changes that directly affected Northeastern's US News ranking. For example one criteria is selectivity. They boosted their selectivity by sending out free application waivers to thousands of students who weren't academically qualified. This increased the # of applicants and decreased their acceptance rate to a ridiculously low rate. They did tricks like this every year and over time their rankings increased. Now that they've been in the top 50 for a while they are attracting genuinely smart students so they don't need to play these tricks anymore. The article goes into detail about other tactics they used back in the late 90's and 2000's. It's really amazing how far they've come though. I remember this stupid jock ranked in the bottom half my graduating class who went to Northeastern. It was considered a joke in the 90's. Fast forward 20 years and one of my neighbors turned down Brown to go to Northeastern.

EDIT: Oops, I see someone else already linked that Boston Magazine article. It's an interesting read, check it out!

Yea, the 'science' of ranking is interesting to say the least.

I didn't go to NEU but have hired graduates from there and have been very impressed - as others have said, the co-op program is excellent and a great differentiator.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:19 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post

Yea, the 'science' of ranking is interesting to say the least.

I didn't go to NEU but have hired graduates from there and have been very impressed - as others have said, the co-op program is excellent and a great differentiator.
Just saw this posted for BU
Attached Thumbnails
Boston College Vs Boston University-15665874_10154443064808962_7953995522955743486_n.png  

Old 12-22-2016, 03:27 AM

4,385 posts, read 3,188,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
BU a safety school??? Maybe for those who have applied exclusively to Ivies.
Ding, ding!

It's had that reputation for years - a good university for people who were rejected by their first choice Ivy.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
It seems like more BC grads stay local after graduation. BU is hugely international.
Thats because everywhere but the US University means higher education and college means the equiv of a certificate program.

Quote:
I am BC affiliated, but I think more highly of BU because it's more progressive (it's not hard to be more progressive than BC...).
Progressive? Like crying rooms, no freedom of speech, teaching that the constitution is outdated, teaching that calling a person a man because they have a penis makes you a horrible person?

KEEP IT!

Old 12-22-2016, 05:59 AM

2,945 posts, read 5,185,254 times
When one types in "acceptance rate," Northeastern University edges BC and BU! I just learned of this recently.

Kind of surprising despite the seemingly giant strides NU has made?

As a 1982 BU Liberal Arts grad, I think BC then and now is more prestigious and selective, locally and regionally, than BU. Just my opinion.

Some are jealous of BC because I've heard they've been nominated at some point in the past as having one of the best looking student bodies! They are attractive, at least to me.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'd argue that to many people in the country, and the world, BC and BU are relatively irrelevant.

Yes, tough to admit for us in the region and especially for alums, right?

Sort of like Georgia Tech and University of Georgia, Arizona State University and University of Arizona, University of Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University, Oregon State University and University of Oregon, Washington State University and University of Washington, etc.

Even a college freshman at BU from another part of America had never heard of our esteemed Berklee College of Music; of course he thought I meant University of California at Berkeley.

One professional lady I encountered seemed confused. She was here for an appointment at the BU Medical Center campus. I somehow mentioned BC and all the area colleges just in conversation.

She then asked, "Oh, has BC changed their name to BU?"

Wow...but how would she know? She's not from the area or the region.

Most Bostonians couldn't tell you the sports teams' nicknames of BC and BU never mind name an athlete or coach.

Until the mid-80s when Doug Flutie launched BC to new "Heights" in the national college sports universe, I don't think BU or BC then, and even now, resonates in the national college sports consciousness. Not necessarily a negative...Do Tufts, NYU or Columbia, for instance, fret that they don't have powerhouse sports programs?

I even had a taxi passenger years ago assume that BU is a STATE school. No, it's private, as are BC and Northeastern.

As mentioned by another poster, the word "college" doesn't always equate to higher ed in some countries. Cambridge College, Boston College and the local Quincy College kind of sound vague and of equal quality to a foreigner visiting Boston for the first time.

Even MIT, believe it or not, is not well known to most Americans, and they don't know it's in Cambridge. I've had this conversation with MIT students or their parents; their neighbors back in small-town Nebraska have no idea about MIT unless you travel in those circles!

I agree. Outside of New England and maybe even the northeast generally, BC and BU are generally not well-recognized. If you move out of the area, this becomes clear. It also becomes clear that each region has its "name" institutions that are likewise not well-known elsewhere, except by professionals in fields for which that institution has earned a high niche. Colorado School of Mines and New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology are good examples.

When I lived in the Boston area, BC instantly brought to mind two things: Catholic boys and football. BU was the commuter school, or rather, schools. At that time, BU (which was already huge and had the nickname of Big and Ugly) had a lot of students who were NYC Jews, as well as a healthy percentage of international students already. It was also a university with a wider age range than BC, considered a commuter school even though there were some dorms.

Also, in the western US, the prestigious schools tend to be state universities, not private ones. I loved this different attitude when I moved there and wished I had grown up there instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston