Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
This might be an instructive read for you: How Northeastern University Gamed the College Rankings

BTW: I find the responses to this thread interesting - particularly the bizarre notion that a world-class institution like Northwestern U. is subject to confusion with Northeastern. Also, BU is a leading research institution, and has been for a long time, ridiculous US News rankings notwithstanding. Can't really say the same for either BC or NU.

I do too. Before recently, with the advent of students who choose colleges based upon their location, Northeastern was largely a commuter school, and it was rather easy to obtain entrance. Northeastern was known for it's Co-op programs. It was more of a technical and health care oriented institution than it was a scholarly university.

Now, it takes the spill over - the students who could not gain entrance to BU, and to a lesser degree, other Boston area colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 05:49 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I do too. Before recently, with the advent of students who choose colleges based upon their location, Northeastern was largely a commuter school, and it was rather easy to obtain entrance. Northeastern was known for it's Co-op programs. It was more of a technical and health care oriented institution than it was a scholarly university.

Now, it takes the spill over - the students who could not gain entrance to BU, and to a lesser degree, other Boston area colleges.
This is more personal information than I ever planned on sharing on this website, but I'm currently a student at Northeastern.

Not only was I also accepted to BU, they offered me a bigger financial aid package. I chose Northeastern because their campus and programs appealed to me more. I've been in touch with friends from high school who went to BU, and I don't think I made a bad decision.

I also believe that there were more people at my high school who were accepted to BU and not to Northeastern than vice versa. Your opinions are outdated.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:19 AM

875 posts, read 663,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

I also believe that there were more people at my high school who were accepted to BU and not to Northeastern than vice versa. Your opinions are outdated.

Lots of outdated 'commuter school' opinions on this thread.

My friends who went to these schools back in the day say that they would not have a hope of being accepted to any of them today.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,341 times
FWIW I'm a millennial (for age reference) who grew up in CA and never heard a peep about Northeastern. Didn't consider it very prestigious. BU was considered an OK school, but BC was considered a great school. It was really competitive at that time - IDK if that has changed but back then I wouldn't have even thought to compare them.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:56 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
FWIW I'm a millennial (for age reference) who grew up in CA and never heard a peep about Northeastern. Didn't consider it very prestigious. BU was considered an OK school, but BC was considered a great school. It was really competitive at that time - IDK if that has changed but back then I wouldn't have even thought to compare them.

That's because it is only "prestigious" on the East Coast. Most "overlaps" do not think of Northeastern as their target school.

It has overlaps with large, private universitities some smaller - and a few public ones. Notably Boston University, University of Massachusetts @ Amherst, New York University , University of Connecticut, Boston College, several SUNY Colleges and Universities and Syracuse University.

I am a professional independent college consultant. These schools have very little in common, other than than they have names that are linked with large cities or states.

Northeastern is REALLY nothing like Boston College - except that they are both in Boston. By all right there should be NO OVERLAP THERE.

But there obviously is.

I attribute that to students who select college on the basis of detestation or popular fame - rather than academics. And parents who want desperately to have the name of a famous college to plaster on the back window of their cars.

Sad state of affairs.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:13 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Just curious, what do you consider to be a great school in CA? As someone who grew up on the East Coast, I can only think of Stanford, Cal Tech and UC Berkeley. BC would be on the same level as UCLA and USC. I'm having a hard time thinking of any other universities in CA besides the UC schools. The other UC schools were considered mediocre when I went to college and in my mind Northeastern is better than all of them (besides Berkeley and UCLA of course).

EDIT: I just remembered Cal State, although that's so far down on the totem pole that it doesn't even compare to UMass.

Last edited by Parsec; 01-11-2017 at 12:28 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Just curious, what do you consider to be a great school in CA? As someone who grew up on the East Coast, I can only think of Stanford, Cal Tech and UC Berkeley. BC would be on the same level as UCLA and USC. I'm having a hard time thinking of any other universities in CA besides the UC schools. The other UC schools were considered mediocre when I went to college and in my mind Northeastern is better than all of them (besides Berkeley and UCLA of course).

EDIT: I just remembered Cal State, although that's so far down on the totem pole that it doesn't even compare to UMass.
I'm not from the West Coast either, but had a child recently go through the whole college admissions process. I would agree with your list but also add the Claremont colleges (Pomona, Scripps, etc.) to the list of "elite" schools out west. Nonetheless, the list is FAR shorter than the Northeast!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:38 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,341 times
Quote:

I think generally people here would say Stanford, Berkeley (my alma mater), and UCLA reflexively. I don't disagree but it's only after thinking a little longer would someone remember CalTech and Claremont McKenna (and those are definitely just as competitive if not more than Berkeley). I think they're just not on most people's radars in the mainstream. Yeah I probably would've compared UCLA with BC.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:

Having never lived on the West Coast, I would add Occidental College as a high caliber school. University of Washington is also very good.

I think UCSB is more comparable to UMass -- it seems to be the place for the California kids who were smart enough and did reasonably well in school but not well enough to get into UCLA or Berkeley.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Having never lived on the West Coast, I would add Occidental College as a high caliber school. University of Washington is also very good.

I think UCSB is more comparable to UMass -- it seems to be the place for the California kids who were smart enough and did reasonably well in school but not well enough to get into UCLA or Berkeley.
UCSB is a party school. Did you mean USC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston