Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:40 AM

596 posts, read 815,077 times

Advertisements

Contrary to what it seems like some people on this thread believes, colleges and universities don't just take the x number of students with the best GPAs and SAT scores to fill their freshman class...

BU is need-blind for domestic students but not for international students.

On another note, I would agree with the poster who said a passing TOEFL score doesn't mean much, and those communication gaps can be a real challenge when doing group projects and papers. It often leaves the English speaking students with A LOT of extra editing to do. And add to that challenge the differing beliefs about plagiarism in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 10:47 AM

6,045 posts, read 5,028,799 times
Funny how the OP has not weighed in since the original (dubious?) question was posed!

Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,680,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Contrary to what it seems like some people on this thread believes, colleges and universities don't just take the x number of students with the best GPAs and SAT scores to fill their freshman class...
Correct.

Quote:
BU is need-blind for domestic students but not for international students.
Correct. And this isn't exclusive to BU at all. Colleges do not provide financial aid to international students. Colleges do however decide how many of them to admit based on revenue needs. Some schools aggressively seek out international students while others are much more passive about it.

Quote:
On another note, I would agree with the poster who said a passing TOEFL score doesn't mean much, and those communication gaps can be a real challenge when doing group projects and papers. It often leaves the English speaking students with A LOT of extra editing to do. And add to that challenge the differing beliefs about plagiarism in other countries.
I'm glad someone else gets it. I don't care how good someone's test scores are if they can't communicate with their classmates or professors.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 AM

6,045 posts, read 5,028,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Correct.

Correct. And this isn't exclusive to BU at all. Colleges do not provide financial aid to international students. Colleges do however decide how many of them to admit based on revenue needs. Some schools aggressively seek out international students while others are much more passive about it.

I'm glad someone else gets it. I don't care how good someone's test scores are if they can't communicate with their classmates or professors.
Totally unfair, and sounds like you have not been exposed to these international scholars much. Judge these students by how they interact with the world after they graduate. They come here with no native experience in speaking the language, and that's what they're here for--to LEARN English, and to gain confidence, along with their chosen field of study.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,236,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Which one would you say is more popular amongst Bostonians.
I am from the Merrimack Valley, as most affiliate with UML, outside of North Andover and Andover who like Merrimack. Also for the most part there is antagonism toward BC alums and such in the region. While people are pretty indifferent towards BU.
I would assume BC/BU is a similar dynamic, where BC affiliated people and rich white folks like BC and everyone else would prefer BU.
I've always seen BC is more exclusive as BU, Northeastern, Harvard, UML etc. all host High School sports and other community events, while BC not so much.
What is your opinion, is BC or BU more popular within Boston?
BU definitely, at least it's actually IN Boston. Outside of the northeast, people only know Boston College because of its unsuccessful run in the ACC. BU is a highly cosmopolitan, international university located in the heart of Boston. BC is a suburban school run by a church.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM

13,988 posts, read 14,920,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
If they are mediocre they aren't getting into BC. I know top students who didnt get in. It's actually baffling and makes me wonder about their admissions process. Then I do know a few hockey players who received scholarships there and probably had a GPA of 2.0. But they still werent considered mediocre as they had the athletics thing going for them.
Well I do know mediocre students who get in due to legacy status, BC seems more cliquish than other schools in the area.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:28 AM

9,828 posts, read 7,125,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Actually plenty of colleges offer financial aid to foreign students - Tufts, MIT, Harvard, Wellesley are just a few that do in the Boston area. There may not be much, but it's available.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:42 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,780,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Actually plenty of colleges offer financial aid to foreign students - Tufts, MIT, Harvard, Wellesley are just a few that do in the Boston area. There may not be much, but it's available.
I believe it's merit-based aid, which is available to all accepted students; not need-based aid which is only available to US citizens and permanent residents. Unless of course you're talking about a private contributions/endowments. In that case, the aid can go to whoever the donor specified.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 PM

596 posts, read 815,077 times
No, robr2 is right that schools do give financial aid to foreign students. (Tufts, for example, doesn't even give merit based aid.) But you, Parsec, are right that financial aid that goes to international students is not part of the federally subsidized financial aid programs.

Check here for info from Tufts. Information for International Aid Applicants**·**Tufts Admissions

Old 12-13-2016, 01:00 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,302 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well I do know mediocre students who get in due to legacy status, BC seems more cliquish than other schools in the area.
Well my cousin went to BC high did not get in even though his dad went there. My cousin is VERY smart, not just saying that I could care less really but he's very smart...he ended up going to McGill, which some might say is better academically. His dad was pissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston