Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 3,536 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

I'm a Boston student living in the heart of the city right now and I'm currently planning my move to a cheaper, less Northeastern U-centric post-grad apartment. My roommates and I are very open to neighborhood options and don't have a lot of preferences right now. However, we're going to have a car, and we're hoping for a neighborhood where we can find an apartment that comes with a parking spot in the rent or the option of renting an on-sight parking spot. We're okay with going outside of Boston proper for this, but our other must is we want to be walking distance from a main T-stop (not commuter rail). We are open to any neighborhood, any line, though I'd prefer green, orange or red over blue. But we are very open. In what neighborhoods and T-accessible suburbs is it realistic to have a off-street parking spot? Budget is flexible; just trying to get an idea of the situation as I have never owned a car in the city before. We're really not interested in on-street, we want a designated spot, but if anyone has any experience with renting a spot separate from their apartment lease or in a garage/T parking lot or anything like that, I'd be interested in hearing about that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,680,772 times
Brighton probably is your most affordable option that's reasonably safe, but without an actual budget no one can say for sure.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:45 PM

Default Budget

Hi,

We're still figuring out the budget but I want to know all options at all prices.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,680,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeanne65 View Post
Hi,

We're still figuring out the budget but I want to know all options at all prices.
You can find off street parking almost anywhere if you can afford it. The limiting factor will always be price. Even a range would help people give you realistic selections.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:13 PM

I'd say we'd be hoping for the 2200-2600 range for a 2 bedroom.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:36 PM

875 posts, read 658,870 times
If you enter 2 bed, w/parking, 2600 upper limit on Craigslist you will get a good sense of what you can get and where

Old 12-21-2016, 07:02 PM

49 posts, read 62,188 times
EDIT: I just realized you want a designated parking spot. My rec would be Malden then.

JP - there is on street parking. Its right on the orange line and a quick commute to Northeastern's Ruggle's stop.

If you want to save some more money... Malden's Oak Groove... maybe 40mins to Ruggle's. There is on street parking. More of a professional/working class place.

Also, try the buildings around Wellington station in Medford. Lots of those buildings have on-site parking.

Last edited by BostonRevealed; 12-21-2016 at 07:11 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 PM

39 posts, read 46,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeanne65 View Post
Hi there-

I'm a Boston student living in the heart of the city right now and I'm currently planning my move to a cheaper, less Northeastern U-centric post-grad apartment. My roommates and I are very open to neighborhood options and don't have a lot of preferences right now. However, we're going to have a car, and we're hoping for a neighborhood where we can find an apartment that comes with a parking spot in the rent or the option of renting an on-sight parking spot. We're okay with going outside of Boston proper for this, but our other must is we want to be walking distance from a main T-stop (not commuter rail). We are open to any neighborhood, any line, though I'd prefer green, orange or red over blue. But we are very open. In what neighborhoods and T-accessible suburbs is it realistic to have a off-street parking spot? Budget is flexible; just trying to get an idea of the situation as I have never owned a car in the city before. We're really not interested in on-street, we want a designated spot, but if anyone has any experience with renting a spot separate from their apartment lease or in a garage/T parking lot or anything like that, I'd be interested in hearing about that too.
If you're up for dealing with the mbta redline braintree direction, then you should consider Quincy area. Probably Deco building- across from the Quincy Adam station but it might be over your budget. Having a car is overrated. It's more cost effective to get zipcar and use uber/lyft.

https://www.apartments.com/quincy-ma/

Old 12-25-2016, 12:07 PM

Some areas that have been recommended to me for this are Davis/Porter, Cleveland Circle/Reservoir and JP. Does anyone have thoughts on any of these?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:25 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Davis and Porter are great areas. I've lived in multiple apartments in these areas. Not many of the apartments have off street parking though. Very very few do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston