Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 05:13 PM

596 posts, read 818,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
C line.
Then you have to either wait for the BC shuttle or walk 25 minutes (at least it's 25 minutes to my office) around the res. If you have a car there's just no scenario in which taking the T is easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 05:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Then you have to either wait for the BC shuttle or walk 25 minutes (at least it's 25 minutes to my office) around the res. If you have a car there's just no scenario in which taking the T is easier.
It's the same spot as the d line.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's the same spot as the d line.
No it's not. The Chestnut Hill D line stop is closer than Reservoir. It's a 15 minute walk from CH to the part of campus where McElroy/McGuinn/Campion Hall are.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 17,586 times
OP again here. First off, thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions. I'm very grateful. Really appreciate it. It sounds like the consensus view is that I'm best off being in Brookline and that I ought to drive into work (not take the "T"). However, as I've begun looking for apartments (using sabbaticalhomes.com, hotpads, craigslist) it feels like the inventory is quite low in Brookline for quality places in the $2500-2700 range. Is it really worth hiring a broker and does the feeling that inventory looks low just a function of the fact that it's a broker-driven market and the usual websites won't list all of the supply? Or is there a real low inventory? I feel like I'm seeing a lot more quality stuff in Cambridge/Somerville available.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:57 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polsprof View Post
OP again here. First off, thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions. I'm very grateful. Really appreciate it. It sounds like the consensus view is that I'm best off being in Brookline and that I ought to drive into work (not take the "T"). However, as I've begun looking for apartments (using sabbaticalhomes.com, hotpads, craigslist) it feels like the inventory is quite low in Brookline for quality places in the $2500-2700 range. Is it really worth hiring a broker and does the feeling that inventory looks low just a function of the fact that it's a broker-driven market and the usual websites won't list all of the supply? Or is there a real low inventory? I feel like I'm seeing a lot more quality stuff in Cambridge/Somerville available.
Honestly, I don't think that's accurate. And I don't think living in Cambridge or Somerville and working at BC is a good setup. But if you're set on Cambridge then go for it. Might learn the hard way though.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:59 PM

What are you looking for as a move-in date? Also, you might want to check out Chestnut Hill Realty. They own a bunch of apartment complexes in Brookline and post their availability on their website.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:09 PM

12 posts, read 17,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
What are you looking for as a move-in date? Also, you might want to check out Chestnut Hill Realty. They own a bunch of apartment complexes in Brookline and post their availability on their website.
Move-in date ideal would be August or September. I'd really like to find something that's "unique" and not run-of-the-mill apartment complex type place. And, I'd be willing to pay more for that. I've even tried looking on AirBnB for monthly rental options since I wouldn't mind nabbing a furnished place and being able to end the lease/arrangement in May when school lets out (my family has a summer home where I spend June - Sept 1).

Old 12-31-2016, 09:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Move-in date ideal would be August or September. I'd really like to find something that's "unique" and not run-of-the-mill apartment complex type place. And, I'd be willing to pay more for that. I've even tried looking on AirBnB for monthly rental options since I wouldn't mind nabbing a furnished place and being able to end the lease/arrangement in May when school lets out (my family has a summer home where I spend June - Sept 1).
Wait, wait, wait....
Are you saying that what you really want to do is lease an apartment, preferably a furnished one, for 9 months? And then you would completely relinquish the apartment and be moving in again to a new apartment the following September? (Or are you here for only 9 months and not beyond that?)

That's a bit of a different story. With your car and parking space, find a place in Brookline where you can drive but also have the T as an option. If you're here long term, but just plan on having apartments for 9 month stretches, what real difference does it make if you find the perfect spot? Most people here are telling you Brookline is going to work for you, so just do that and while you're here, explore and if you find you really want to be in a different area, just pick that area when you get the next apartment the following September.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:32 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
...and that might be an issue. Many places in and around Boston near the colleges are already spoken for before the holidays. My son (student) and his roommates for next year put their deposits down for a June 2017 move in back in October and will be signing the lease next week.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:17 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and that might be an issue. Many places in and around Boston near the colleges are already spoken for before the holidays. My son (student) and his roommates for next year put their deposits down for a June 2017 move in back in October and will be signing the lease next week.
Yeah, I don't see too many LL's doing a 9 month lease. Lots of students want exactly that and most LL's don't want to do it. But if one were, there'd probably be a lot of competition for that. The nicer the apartment, the less I'd think a LL would want this - ideally a LL wants a long term tenant. Most of the places I've seen that do a month to month or shorter than 1 year leases are high rise corporate complexes that cater to people who are working for a company that's paying for some kind of relocation or special situation. And they charge a premium for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston