Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,701 times

Advertisements

Hello. I will be working for about 3 months in the Charlestown area. I found some short term rent apartments but I have no idea about the locations, the good the bad and the ugly. Please help.

I would rate safe neighborhoods most important of any other qualities, and then public transport accessibility (if needed).

For the moment I found apartments in Charlestown (southeast next (?) to the port, and mid-town), in North End, West End, East Somerville, etc.

1 bedroom apartment or studio will be fine.

Your suggestions and price target will be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 01:41 PM

49 posts, read 62,393 times
Just live in Charlestown. you can prob get a 1br for ~2500. You're 10mins into the heart of the city by the Orange line.

There are ton of short term rentals in Back Bay / South End - 2000-2200 for a studio and 2500-2700 for a 1br. Great centralized location.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,701 times
Thank you BostonRevealed.

I do not have any experience with public transport in Boston. Is it reliable?

I will be working in a research lab in Charlestown close to the 13th street (north-east tip of Charlestown). My initial thought was to get a studio/apartment as close as possible, but then I have no idea about the neighborhoods.

Are you suggesting that it is better to search in the Back Bay / South End areas?

Should I visit before I make rental arrangements (expensive) or I could I possibly do it over the internet?

Thank you for your time.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:31 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Thomaseco,

FYI, your work location is in the Charlestown Navy Yard. The adjacent neighborhood east of Bunker Hill Street is what we call "public housing" (looks like barracks on the Google satellite view) and not especially desirable or even available on a temporary basis. West of Bunker Hill Street, the neighborhood is very good and still within walking distance of the navy yard. Anything you can find there in the streets off bunker hill street, High St, Bartlett St or Main St should be satisfactory.

Back Bay / South End areas are fine but probably too far to walk. Same with Somerville.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:44 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
Charlestown is a good neighborhood. I'd just live there. And public transportation is great compared to most other US cities (the orange line is reliable but has old trians).

Old 02-22-2017, 11:18 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
If its in the Navy Yard, live in Charlestown, or East Somerville... from East Somerville take the frequent bus from Sullivan to the Navy Yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston