Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

If you want this you're gonna have to at least double your budget.

Or get 2 roommates. Then you probably could find such a area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
20 min from Boston, safe, quiet, $800/month for a studio without roommates? Never gonna happen.
Even in dangerous and loud neighborhoods. :P

Old 03-18-2017, 01:48 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
I was going to say Craigslist but someone beat me to it. If you can't find any $800 studio that means they don't exist in the towns you want. Either go further out or raise your price.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,361 times
I am sorry, but $800 per month does not get housing anywhere in the vicinity of Boston. Boston is a fairly expensive place to live and the areas surrounding are not much cheaper. You would have to get about 30 miles outside of Boston and $800 would still be difficult. Rental housing is in high demand but there is a shortage of quality units available. I would suggest 1 of 2 things: A.) you substantially increase what you are looking to spend B.) you look in areas outside of Boston and the vicinity

Craigslist is a valuable tool, but be careful as there are a lot of scams. If you seen an ad for Boston with a $1,000 p/m rate, take my word it is not legitimate.

Realtor.com has a section with Rentals and that is homes/condos that are definitely listed so you are safe.

Best of luck!

Old 04-14-2017, 02:36 PM

810 posts, read 851,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieFiles View Post
I am sorry, but $800 per month does not get housing anywhere in the vicinity of Boston. Boston is a fairly expensive place to live and the areas surrounding are not much cheaper. You would have to get about 30 miles outside of Boston and $800 would still be difficult. Rental housing is in high demand but there is a shortage of quality units available. I would suggest 1 of 2 things: A.) you substantially increase what you are looking to spend B.) you look in areas outside of Boston and the vicinity

Craigslist is a valuable tool, but be careful as there are a lot of scams. If you seen an ad for Boston with a $1,000 p/m rate, take my word it is not legitimate.

Realtor.com has a section with Rentals and that is homes/condos that are definitely listed so you are safe.

Best of luck!
thanks for the idea of realtor.com

Interested in moving but scary too live in a city like Boston.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:26 AM

404 posts, read 904,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
thanks for the idea of realtor.com

Interested in moving but scary too live in a city like Boston.
Boston has got to be one of the least scary cities in the world...

Old 04-17-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Boston has got to be one of the least scary cities in the world...
It's an intimidating place to try to figure out how to move into and where to find roommates and then it's a sad place when you realize how much you pay for a 120 year old house converted into 3 units that hasn't been updated since 1957.

I think this is more how the user meant.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:41 PM

810 posts, read 851,471 times
around 1995 ish my in laws lived in Boston. I should of convinced my husband to move back then. Although it ended up that his dad passed away and his mom and youngest sister moved back west. His brother who was also in Boston eventually moved too.

They lived in a flat. 3 bedroom upstairs can't remember what they paid for rent but it was in Belmont. I loved it. Nice quiet residential street. They could park their car in the driveway but there was also plenty of street parking. My brother in law lived in an apartment complex in Norwood. I know they thought the rent was outrageous back then. He worked near Bunker Hill. So he had to commute. My nephew was little and daycare was crazy expensive.

We went out drinking one night and found this wonderful little bar in South Boston. Anyways I still want to live there even if it is only for a few years. It is hard to justify it though. If I started working (stay at home mom right now). I think we could do okay. He makes a decent salary. Say he makes $110,000 plus I would probably pull in $2,000 a month after taxes would we do okay? I was thinking of living close in maybe Brookline or Cambridge or even Belmont. Would we need a car? If we didn't have a car and insurance payment we would have even a little more cash available.?

thank you everyone for any information

Old 04-18-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
He makes a decent salary. Say he makes $110,000 plus I would probably pull in $2,000 a month after taxes would we do okay? I was thinking of living close in maybe Brookline or Cambridge or even Belmont. Would we need a car? If we didn't have a car and insurance payment we would have even a little more cash available.?
Many people make 1/3 of what you make and do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston