Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:43 PM

70 posts, read 93,372 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

I recently heard back from my former colleague, who gave me the contact information for her friends and colleagues in the Boston area that gave permission for me to connect with them, who may have job opportunities for me when I'm ready for that step. Their offices are, respectively, in Brookline, Newton(Newtown?), Burlington, Haverhill, Melrose, East Boston, and of course some are offices in Boston itself. Any info on any of these towns/suburbs, cost of living, ease of getting around, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 PM

652 posts, read 744,172 times
Get your job first then worry about housing. You'll need to know first and foremost where you're commuting to.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:05 AM

Of course my initial focus is actually getting a job. I'm 34, I know how this works. That doesn't mean I can't ask questions to start getting insight. If some towns are better than others for my lifestyle and budget, I'd like to go ahead and know that so I know all my options.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 AM

4,235 posts, read 3,682,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly View Post
Their offices are, respectively, in Brookline, Newton(Newtown?), Burlington, Haverhill, Melrose, East Boston, and of course some are offices in Boston itself. Any info on any of these towns/suburbs, cost of living, ease of getting around, etc.?
Quote:
Of course my initial focus is actually getting a job. I'm 34, I know how this works. That doesn't mean I can't ask questions to start getting insight. If some towns are better than others for my lifestyle and budget, I'd like to go ahead and know that so I know all my options.
I'm not sure how much value is in going through each town at this point. Any of them could work. Brookline and Newton are very expensive, convenient to the city, and highly desirable towns. Melrose is a great town, with good access to the city, not as expensive as Brookine and Newton. Burlington is nice, too, but definitely more suburban, with lots of malls and big box shopping centers. I can't speak to Haverhill - it is much further out, almost in NH. I don't know how easy it is to get around the town itself or how easy it is to get to Boston. It might be close to Manchester, NH, than it is to Boston, but certainly you can get to either city.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 PM

126 posts, read 122,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post

Salem downtown you MIIIIGHT be ok without a car. It's not on the subway, it's on the Commuter Rail which is much less frequent but only about a 30 minute ride to North Station (in the city) from there.
and triple the price

Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 AM

Just as an update, I recently had a Skype video call with the owner of one of the businesses I was referred to by our mutual friend, which may sound promising. He wants to meet up with me when I'm in the area for a visit in November. His offices are in Newton and Brookline. Any information about what areas around there may be within my previously mentioned budget, etc?

Old 05-11-2017, 11:22 AM

4,235 posts, read 3,682,744 times
Quote:
Just as an update, I recently had a Skype video call with the owner of one of the businesses I was referred to by our mutual friend, which may sound promising. He wants to meet up with me when I'm in the area for a visit in November. His offices are in Newton and Brookline. Any information about what areas around there may be within my previously mentioned budget, etc?
Newton and Brookline are both awesome and would suit you well with the car situation. The issue will be price, although you might be able to find something with a couple of roommates.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:25 AM

649 posts, read 809,966 times
I would ask, or look on a map, if his offices are actually commutable by public transport. Just because there is atrain or subway in a town does not mean it is anywhere near where you need to go. Once you know where you need to get to go to the MBTA website and see what trains,busses,commuter rail options you have for getting there easily (using hopefully only one method). Follow the bus/train/rail line and look at the communities along it then use some kind walkscore website to see which ones may be better than other. THEN look at craigslist for roomate/dog/rent situations. You won't get your first choice or ideal location immediately but you will rent in a convenient locale with a short enough commute so that over that first year you have the time to figure out where you really want to be.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:06 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,054,191 times
Quote:

Those two towns will be OK if you manage to add an extra "1" in front of your current budget. Otherwise, not so much.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Those two towns will be OK if you manage to add an extra "1" in front of your current budget. Otherwise, not so much.
How are the towns nearby? It's not imperative that I live in the same suburb/town as wherever I end up, as long as it's close. I've driven over an hour to work before, and while I don't want to do that, I don't mind a bit of a commute on public transit (as I'm not driving in that case), and the office(s) are easily accessible to public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston