Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 01:58 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Wouldn't change anything obviously. The liquor store where I used to go in Boston was the closest to my space, I have no idea who the owner was, but the people working in it weren't white.
You sound like people that only buy Fords because they are made in America, except without the taxes excuse.
the liquor store?! That is ridiculous. Most of them are Arab or Asian owned at least in black areas.

Then you brought up for automobiles? Really? Cmon. That's not serious like I asked.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
they want more people that look like them to succeed
Atlanta median household income 102k for whites, 35k for black.

Boston, white 90k, black 41k

#1 numbers are outdated
#2 41k in boston versus 35k in ATL... which is going to go further?
#3 did you look at the MSA
#4 did you consider any metric other than median household income? # of black-owned businesses, homeownership rate, virtually anything other than one outdated data point

Old 11-01-2021, 02:02 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
90:1, is that level of gross inequity more palatable for you?

I was talking about liquor licenses btw. which is very close to 200:1 " Wu told the crowd that eight Black-owned restaurants currently hold liquor licenses in a city where thousands of liquor licenses exist." I believe its about 1300-1400 liquor licenses. There were fewer 9 for a brief moment then District 7 Tavenr closed. down to 8 black ones.

Do me one favor, one small favor. Ask yourself-how much would you like Boston if there were only 8 white-owned venues with liquor licenses and like 1200 black ones? Be serious.

But yea clubs are important places for black social life as we have an affinity for music and dance.Inf act you hear "the club" mentioned in black music ad nauseam. This is why this article exists and why the forum was held in a nightclub.

Just because Boston white culture doesn't care about nightclubs doesn't mean we have to share that sentiment, we dont. Many Black Bostonians venture to Providence and NYC for that reason.
Liquor licenses is a far cry from nightclubs. That brings tons of restaurants in to the fold.

But, I'll indulge your question. The answer is I wouldn't likely even notice. I don't meet the owners, so as long as the menu has what I'm in the mood for I'm good. Oftentimes I don't know even know who owns a restaurant, let alone what race they are.

Now, if by venue you mean nightclubs or bars, then I wouldn't like Boston if it had 1200 of any club. One of the reasons I do like Boston is because it's relatively devoid of nightlife. When I want nightlife, I'll get on a plane and travel to it, but I don't want it in my backyard. I'm firmly in the "no clubs at all" camp.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Basically, you have a very very satisfied white metropolitan population that doesn't want to change anything to better accommodate black people. Which include just about every single person in this thread on both side of the issue. Other than me.
Big talk from someone who hasn’t lived in the metropolitan area since high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Now, if by venue you mean nightclubs or bars, then I wouldn't like Boston if it had 1200 of any club. One of the reasons I do like Boston is because it's relatively devoid of nightlife. When I want nightlife, I'll get on a plane and travel to it, but I don't want it in my backyard. I'm firmly in the "no clubs at all" camp.
People like you are a scourge on the city.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I already said I million times that all of your analysis exclusively take into account white and black people, constantly disregarding any other minorities.
You favorite mayoral candidate lost in every precinct without a large black population, so maybe, just maybe, you should consider that her problem isn't really white racism but the fact that she only appealed to black people and not to any other minority.
But as always, the reason behind is racism with you.

It's just kind of boring constantly refuting a lot of what you say with data when in the end you come back with the exact same point 2 days later.
Get out of your echo chamber.
There's basically no majority Latino areas in Boston.... other than a tiny area of East Boston. And no Asian majority Areas other than the tiny Chinatown area.

Asians voted for Wu because shes Asian, I get it. Most Hispanic live in majority-black areas. And those areas voted for Janey and Campbell.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Big talk from someone who hasn’t lived in the metropolitan area since high school.
This is not true lol but alright. Guess you forgot I taught in Boston after college?

It's not big talk its obviously Painfully obviously true. Prove to me otherwise. Being confronted with racism is otherwise but you gotta deal with it.

Am I lying or are white people very very satisfied with Boston?

Am I lying, what would you or other white people be willing to do to make the area more attractive to BLACK people. Answer me that.

Most everyone here has been "naw bro- its welcoming! but naw were don't gonna do that, that, that, that, or that. And definitely not that. Lest we become [insert city with a favorable reputation amongst black people]. You can agree to those terms you'll love it here!"

lol

Old 11-01-2021, 02:06 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times
Would you do us all a favor and name all those "white" clubs that allegedly outnumber "black" clubs 90:1?

Quote:
90:1, is that level of gross inequity more palatable for you?

I was talking about liquor licenses btw. which is very close to 200:1 " Wu told the crowd that eight Black-owned restaurants currently hold liquor licenses in a city where thousands of liquor licenses exist." I believe its about 1300-1400 liquor licenses. There were fewer 9 for a brief moment then District 7 Tavenr closed. down to 8 black ones.

Do me one favor, one small favor. Ask yourself-how much would you like Boston if there were only 8 white-owned venues with liquor licenses and like 1200 black ones? Be serious.

But yea clubs are important places for black social life as we have an affinity for music and dance.Inf act you hear "the club" mentioned in black music ad nauseam. This is why this article exists and why the forum was held in a nightclub.

Just because Boston white culture doesn't care about nightclubs doesn't mean we have to share that sentiment, we dont. Many Black Bostonians venture to Providence and NYC for that reason.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:08 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
#1 numbers are outdated
#2 41k in boston versus 35k in ATL... which is going to go further?
#3 did you look at the MSA
#4 did you consider any metric other than median household income? # of black-owned businesses, homeownership rate, virtually anything other than one outdated data point
1-2 it's the gap that matters, not really the total. Whites are richer in Atlanta than in Boston when compared to backs.

3 the MSA has nothing to do with Boston. What can Boston mayor do to Cambridge, Brookline? Let alone places further away.

Atlanta is the number one city for income inequality in America. In fact, if a person is born into poverty in Atlanta, there is just a 4% chance of escaping poverty in their lifetime. Across all measures of household financial security, households of color are faring worse than White households in Atlanta. Almost 70% of Black families are liquid asset poor compared to 22% of white families. Today, the median household income for blacks is just one-third that of whites. The statistics aren’t much better for Latino families, which maintain a median household income of just about half that of whites. Sixty-six percent of all Latino families in Atlanta are asset poor.

This is from 2020, the gap is even wider. Is this source also racist like me?
https://www.atlantawealthbuilding.org/

Old 11-01-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Would you do us all a favor and name all those "white" clubs that allegedly outnumber "black" clubs 90:1?
do me a favor and bite me, Westie. Respectfully, of course.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:10 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,228 times
Quote:
There's basically no majority Latino areas in Boston.... other than a tiny area of East Boston. And no Asian majority Areas other than the tiny Chinatown area.

Asians voted for Wu because shes Asian, I get it. Most Hispanic live in majority-black areas. And those areas voted for Janey and Campbell.
Yes, there is East Boston and you don't need majority. You can just look at the mix and at the results of the vote. Only where blacks are majority or one of the largest minorities Janey won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston