U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 05:28 PM

10,052 posts, read 3,547,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Long thread, I haven't read even a bit of it...
You have 29 posts in this thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 06:29 PM

2,674 posts, read 888,644 times
People can move wherever they want as long as they can afford it.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:43 AM

10,246 posts, read 4,024,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
DC’s suburbs have diversified rapidly, while Boston’s generally haven’t.
Not really true. The inner Boston suburbs have diversified rapidly since 1990 but more so after 2000.

Everett and Randolph we’re 70-80% white in 1990 they’re now 40-45% white. Lynn in 1990 was firmly a white city. It’s 37% white today. Stoughtonschools district is 51% white today it was almost 90% white in 1994.

Quincy Acton Framingham Stoughton Brockton Revere Lynn Malden Avon Holbrook and Even Chelsea have diversified a ton since 1990. Extremely rapid.

Towns like Weymouth Bridgewater Dedham Norwood Braintree Waltham Brookline Milton and Canton have also seen notable increases in diversity. Again especially since 2000/2005.

There’s not one town in greater Boston that’s has more white people today than it did in 1990. Or one that has fewer POC today than it did in 1990. Not one out of 147 town in eastern MAs 5 county Boston area.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:49 AM

4,441 posts, read 3,059,542 times
^As a quick check before I posted, I compared Middlesex County (71% white) to Fairfax County (50% white). Was that not a 1-for-1 comparison? In general, I feel like Stoughton, Randolph, and Everett are some exceptions that prove the rule.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:54 AM

13,510 posts, read 10,260,851 times
Quote:
^As a quick check before I posted, I compared Middlesex County (71% white) to Fairfax County (50% white). Was that not a 1-for-1 comparison? In general, I feel like Stoughton, Randolph, and Everett are some exceptions that prove the rule.
Middlesex County includes places like Cambridge, Somerville, Framingham and Lowell. It's not all suburban like some incorrectly mistake it as. Does Fairfax County have many cities like those? I thought it was mostly suburbia.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I'm not sure that the low income folks out-reproduce the high earners. But what is true is that high earners leave Boston once they reproduce. They either don't want to send their kids to public schools, don't want to pay private school tuition, or just want to fulfill their fantasy of a white picket fence lifestyle in the suburbs.

What maybe happening is that for the high earning class, Boston becomes a haven for young singles and newlyweds, and empty nesters. Earners with kids leave the city.

The poor may be having the same number of kids, but they don't leave Boston. There's no calling for a poor family to have kids and then up and move to suburb.

What's interesting is that the poor absolutely should leave, to get access to the better schools and try to break the cycle. But good luck finding anyone to accept their housing voucher...
For cultural and practical reasons the poor are persuaded to stay in Boston or an adjacent city/town. There’s not many more affordable places to a poor person in MA/RI where you’d get better schools or less crime than Boston. There are a handful and they’re generally fully occupied.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Yes but those DMV area counties were already more diverse than comparable MA counties in 1990. And keep in mind Massachusetts counties are enormous and generally cover more land area and rural land area than counties in Maryland and NoVA. Which are more uniformly developed.

The densely or consistently aettled portions of Boston suburbs have diversified quite rapidly. In 1990 you’d only see A noticeable amount of POC in a few Brockton/Quincy neighborhoods at best., Chelsea, Lawrence and Cambridge. And. few neighborhoods of the mystic valley cities.

Nowadays most of those places look and or feel majority-minority you’d can find yourself in Walpole or Shrewsbury and see diversity in the stores or on the street.

Stoughton Randolph and Everett can’t really be an exception to the rule if the same thing happened in Malden Lynn, Revere, Brockton Acton, Lexington, Lowell, and is now happening further south.

Lowell was over 70% white in 1990. North Andover has even diversified some.

One really has to keep in mind almost all but 15/20 MA towns were 90%+ white in 1990.

Easy to forget how very undiverse the state was (88% white vs 70% today) in 1990. Most of that change occurred within greater Boston and more specifically within denser suburbs. Most DC burbs were already “diverse” by MA standards in 1990.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:34 AM

4,441 posts, read 3,059,542 times
^Touché.

If you haven’t already seen it, here’s an interesting Globe feature on Everett’s first black city councilor: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...i7CxKq23ERWXSk

Old 07-15-2020, 07:56 AM

6,125 posts, read 3,460,234 times
Here's an article from the Globe that revisits the Carson Beach events from 45 years ago.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:43 AM

2,674 posts, read 888,644 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
For cultural and practical reasons the poor are persuaded to stay in Boston or an adjacent city/town. There’s not many more affordable places to a poor person in MA/RI where you’d get better schools or less crime than Boston. There are a handful and they’re generally fully occupied.
I wouldn’t think of MA as an affordable place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston