Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 12:06 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times

Advertisements

I'm shaking my head at equating getting an icey poured on your head as a little child, versus what black people had to live through.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:20 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,990 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I'm shaking my head at equating getting an icey poured on your head as a little child, versus what black people had to live through.
See comments like this irritate me. Having an icey poured over your head as a kid by someone you don’t know could be pretty traumatizing. Of course that one incident is less than what black people have experienced as a whole. But did you ever have an icey poured over your head for no reason?

Sometimes things that happen to us as kids can really stick with us and shape us. I can remember in 7th grade someone I didn’t know put gum in my hair. It was awful, I had never spoken to them. I was very shy and timid. I also had a group of very tough girls I didn’t know approach me. I will say that the we’re all black and in a grade ahead of me. I was waiting for my mom to pick up. They approached me and one said, yo are you the one that’s been talkin all the sh*t about me. My heart dropped. At that moment I really thought I was about to get beat up. I was like um what and she repeated herself. I was like uhhh I think you have the wrong person. At that moment one of her friends laughed and said oh don’t listen to her she’s just kidding and pushed her away. I was so relieved but still horrified. I’m sure there are kids who did actually get beat up for no reason. I’m just saying don’t gaslight someone’s feelings. You don’t want us to do it to you right ?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:39 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
See comments like this irritate me. Having an icey poured over your head as a kid by someone you don’t know could be pretty traumatizing. Of course that one incident is less than what black people have experienced as a whole. But did you ever have an icey poured over your head for no reason?

I’m just saying don’t gaslight someone’s feelings. You don’t want us to do it to you right ?
I would bet money that the kid who got an icey poured on him and subsequently wrote off all black people, had much worse things done to him by white people, yet he never wrote them off. He treated them as individuals.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:11 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
I would bet money that the kid who got an icey poured on him and subsequently wrote off all black people, had much worse things done to him by white people, yet he never wrote them off. He treated them as individuals.
Like I wrote, how about his grandfather who owned a grocery store being left for dead twice; once thrown down the cellar stairs of his store, and once on Washington Street after being robbed? Enough for you Panther? Because the icee story ( my little brother was also spit on) is just the tip of it. I am a lawyer who also does civil rights work, and that **** has never happened to me by white people.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:08 PM

He never said he wrote off black people.

Another example of that particular neighborhood is my grandmother was walking home from church and a young girl knocked her down and stole her purse. My grandmother was nothing but kind to anyone and minded her own business.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:13 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
If you wanna have any type of conversation with Bridge you have to meet them where they’re at.. Bridge isn’t really the most enlightened on how racism works historical and systemically. Rather, Bridge focuses on perceived interpersonal act/micro aggression and things like that. Bridge thinks that’s an accurate bellwether for racism.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
How many 90yo people do you know exactly? For someone to "hate Germans" because of ww2 they would have to have been at least 10yo to be able to form this lasting opinion. So born in 1931...
Right this is a transparent lie.

But I did have a friend of German ancestry in elementary school and she absolutely did get called a Nazi. It’s a bad thing but it’s not at all similar to what blacks have gone through in this country.. if she hadn’t told us all she was German for years on end we’d never know that she was. Black people don’t have that cute little benefit.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Like I wrote, how about his grandfather who owned a grocery store being left for dead twice; once thrown down the cellar stairs of his store, and once on Washington Street after being robbed? Enough for you Panther? Because the icee story ( my little brother was also spit on) is just the tip of it. I am a lawyer who also does civil rights work, and that **** has never happened to me by white people.
You don’t sound like a lawyer who does civil right work and if you are I feel bad for your clients.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:41 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
If you wanna have any type of conversation with Bridge you have to meet them where they’re at.. Bridge isn’t really the most enlightened on how racism works historical and systemically. Rather, Bridge focuses on perceived interpersonal act/micro aggression and things like that. Bridge thinks that’s an accurate bellwether for racism.
I didn’t even have the icey experience. I’m just saying I can see where it could be traumatic for a kid.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
How many 90yo people do you know exactly? For someone to "hate Germans" because of ww2 they would have to have been at least 10yo to be able to form this lasting opinion. So born in 1931...
Hatred can absolutely be passed down from one generation to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston