Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 03:13 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

You in that you're at a non profit to leave and get rich?

Old 09-07-2021, 03:16 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I know some cops who make 300k (no OT abuse, just climbed the ranks). Not sure if that is considered rich in MA but by most standards it is.

Teaching, eh, I dont know. I mean if you came from poverty where people weren't educated at all then yes I'd say going on to be a teacher is great. there are also different types of teachers, not all are the same.
I think you would also admit $300k is an extreme outlier for police and most cops will never see that annual pay in their lifetimes.

It still doesn't really answer the question of what's successful. The thing is, you ask 10 people and you will get 10 answers. I'm certainly not prepared to say all successful people are paid well, nor or all well-paid people successful.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:18 PM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
I think there are mission driven jobs that are not necessarily money driven. Most people who work at a university or a non profit are not there to get rich but many times it's a resume builder where they don't stay and go on to do something that will make them rich.
So "faux idealism" is what you're saying. Yes, no doubt.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:20 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I worked with quite a few people at an mit/Harvard startup who went on to do their own startups. One engineer I worked with developed a machine learning app that graded essays.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:03 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
What successful jobs are there these does that don't make someone rich or high income?
A job where someone achieved their goals and makes them happy in their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Being rich is what success is mostly identified with in the US. At least traditionally.
Yes, its a bleeped up viewpoint. Our country will look at someone who inherited a ton of money and didn't lose it as successful. Or someone that really sk*wed people out of money to amass a fortune as "successful". But someone that digs their way out of poverty to be a artist, a teacher, an environmental conservationist, a social worker helping indigent communities and being out of poverty... this isn't "success" to most Americans. Our country is a mess.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
I think there are mission driven jobs that are not necessarily money driven. Most people who work at a university or a non profit are not there to get rich but many times it's a resume builder where they don't stay and go on to do something that will make them rich.
Society overall doesn't see university workers, scientists or professors as successful people., I mean maybe if they get a noble prize or something. But if you are a random physicist (or, worse, an historian!) you are not seen as successful. You are more likely to be seen as a leech (this is a recent development and overwhelmingly comes from one side of the political spectrum).
Of course there are plenty of people that don't work for money first but that's not our society consensus.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:29 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Society overall doesn't see university workers, scientists or professors as successful people., I mean maybe if they get a noble prize or something. But if you are a random physicist (or, worse, an historian!) you are not seen as successful. You are more likely to be seen as a leech (this is a recent development and overwhelmingly comes from one side of the political spectrum).
Of course there are plenty of people that don't work for money first but that's not our society consensus.
Really??

Old 09-07-2021, 09:24 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Being rich is what success is mostly identified with in the US. At least traditionally.
In popular culture, but success in US society has always been doing useful work, raising children thoughtfully, contributing to the community, taking leadership, being generous, and being remembered for the person you were.

Old 09-08-2021, 06:53 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
In popular culture, but success in US society has always been doing useful work, raising children thoughtfully, contributing to the community, taking leadership, being generous, and being remembered for the person you were.
Popular culture is exactly what I am talking about.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:26 PM

7 posts, read 4,949 times
I’ve never heard of that, and it’s not true. Boston is more integrated than most other big cities, compare somewhere like Roslindale or Hyde Park to somewhere like Howard Beach in Queens to see what I mean. In the 70s there was a conflict about busing, taking kids away from their neighborhood school 2 blocks away and bringing them across the city to achieve racial balance, it was a bad policy that punished kids for the residential patterns of their parents and grandparents and it destroyed Boston Public Schools by causing everyone who could afford to send their kid to Catholic school to do so, because good parents don’t risk the quality of their kids education by busing them to Mattapan for sake of solving a problem that might not even need solving, as long as people can choose where to live and the state or armed mobs aren’t designating and enforcing white and black districts.

Equating that issue with racism is like saying that my mom supports the Holocaust because she drives a Volkswagen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston